Armagh v Dublin - NFL 05/02/11

Started by bennydorano, January 30, 2011, 06:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Think there's genuine concern in Armagh that we cold get an awful hiding in this game, the McKenna Cup was a bit of a disaster bar the performance of Grugan, seems teams were lined out more due to injuries rather than giving lads a run out, from what I've heard Ciaran McKeever, Andy Mallon and Finnian Moriarity wont be playing, and if they are they will be half-arsed fit, they've played no football in January whatsoever. If this happens to be true (and I've no reason to not believe it) we could be in the shit and there's going to have to be a lot of tinkering done.

CHB is such a crucial position, with no McKeever what way do you attempt to play it? Bring Donaghy out, leave Toner at FB? Potential for disasters there, I remember Donaghy not being to clever there in last year's or maybe 09's McKenna Cup. If Andy Mallon's not there, our natural go to man for Bernard Brogan is gone (although if Andy carries over last years form he might be safer on the line anyway). Big problems and after the Mary's and Antrim performances it could be embarassing.

We will probably have to load the HF line with big men and there'd need to be a bit of breaking ball coaching done after the inept MF sector perfromances witnessed in the McKenna Cup.

And if some of the Dubs think its a bit of codology - its not!

whitegoodman

Out of interest if Armagh do get a hidden against dublin will the pressure start to grow on POR or is the pressure already there or are the supporters willing to give him and the team more time considering the injuries and problems u have mentioned

ardchieftain

It's worrying times no doubt. I haven't been convinced by O'Rourke from day one but let's see how the next few matches materialise.

Orangemac

Injuries and absence of Cross players are blows all right but if we are pointless in the league after 3 games, the pressure will be on POR.

He hasn't been convincing on the line in terms of substitutions/switches. Maybe expectations are on the high side but we do have a decent squad of players and so far under Paddy O'Rourke good team performances have been few and far between.

armaghniac

While others have problems with fielding in midfield, we have performed poorly on the breaking ball since MOR went off the scene. Does Padden have any record in this type of work?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

INDIANA

we're missing half a team so its likley to be a very tight game.

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on January 30, 2011, 07:56:17 PM
While others have problems with fielding in midfield, we have performed poorly on the breaking ball since MOR went off the scene. Does Padden have any record in this type of work?

That's what he does best.
MWWSI 2017

Shortso79

Improve or else, Murtagh tells Armagh

Armagh assistant manager Donal Murtagh admits the Orchard County must turn in a vastly improved performance against Dublin next weekend - or risk an embarrassing defeat at the Athletic Grounds.

The Saturday night encounter marks the first really big game at the newly-redeveloped venue, with a large crowd expected at the 19,500-capacity stadium.

Armagh go into that game on the back of a desperately disappointing Barrett Sports Lighting Dr McKenna Cup defeat in midweek at the hands of a St Mary's University College side which had put up little resistance in previous games against Antrim and Down.

The absence of a host of key players, including the Crossmaglen Rangers contingent and defensive stalwarts Ciaran McKeever (pictured) and Andy Mallon, was a mitigating factor but Murtagh acknowledges that Paddy O'Rourke's men must find a new level in time for the visit of the Dubs in eight days' time.

He told the Irish News, "We wouldn't be happy with what we saw. I'd be expecting a big improvement [against Dublin].

"If we don't improve we'll be soundly beaten. It would be nice to start the League with a win in the new ground but as I say, we'll have to improve for it."

http://www.hoganstand.com/Armagh/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=141318

lawnseed

yep, theres a hiding in the pipeline the dubs looked good in parts against a determined meath last night. Armagh have been poor to unwatchable, sure they had a big open game against down which is their best under o'rourke so far imo. its just not happening for por and with a new ground to pay for the pressure for success can be felt as soon as you go through the gates of the athletic grounds. its not  too late to dump him because hes done nothing to date except give young grugan a couple of games, but its getting late for a new manager to get familiar and start to make changes to playing style which if armagh are to draw a decent crowd is a must
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

gander

wouldnt be too harsh on O'Rourke just yet, they've been missing maybe 8 players that would normally start and whatever new cross players that would potentially come into the panel.  I'd save the judgements for when he has a full complement of players to pick from

AFS

Talk of roading O'Rourke after a shite McKenna is stupid, just nonsense really. He'll be with us to the end of the season and it'll be results in June and July, not January and February that'll dictate how long more he sticks around.

On the game itself, very difficult to know what to expect. Form of the last couple of weeks would suggest a tanking may be in order for Armagh, but form counts for little this early in the year. I could give numerous examples of league games I've been at in just the last few years that have gone in completely different directions to what I would've predicted. Should be an excellent occasion anyway.

mackers

While I would be worried about a bad defeat on Saturday evening, it's hard to predict much until we see what players are available to us.
After the torrid time that Andy Mallon had on Brogan in the summer I'd hope that Donaghy is given the job of trying to keep him quiet with (hopefully) Ciaran McKeever covering the area in front of him.
The Dubs horsed us out of it physically in Croker and that's where my main worry would be again. Didn't get the opportunity to see Padden but if his strength is getting break ball he should be fired into the HF line as we need all the physicality we can muster.
It really would be a baptism of fire for Grugan if he is picked on Saturday night, Swift and Mackin may be picked in the HF line for their ball winning ability.
It looks like we'll be reliant on Stevie for scores again until we can get the Clarkes back in action so that makes the job very easy for the Dubs defence.
I think our team will strengthen as the league progresses but if we can hold the Dubs to a few points it won't be a bad result.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

DuffleKing

Talk of booting POR now is plain wrong and unrealistic.

The reality is though that he'll be gone at the end of the season. We have the players capable of doing very well this year but likely won't do much at all.

POR was never really wanted in the first place so it was always gonna be difficult for the man. people felt that he was mediocre and we'd plenty of mediocre of our own without getting one from down. The biggest disappointment for me has been his back room team. Stories from inside paint a very poor picture of things, particularly with murtagh & McNulty, where the hope would have been. It's also a disappointment that he did not properly replace McNulty when it presents such an opportunity to improve things.

Groucho

Would Paul Duffy not be a good option to "man mark" Brogan? I think he has tremendous pace and strength.
If we get well beaten on Sat night I wouldn't be too concerned....the summer is still a long way off.....the Cross guys have to return and quite a few regular starters from last year.....

Keep the faith!!
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

heffo

I don't know if the Armagh posters are being coy but Dublin are going to have a weakish team out on Saturday night.

Really looking forward to this now - the new Armagh stand looks great.