Cill Dara v Aontroim - AI Football Qualifier 26/06/10

Started by Dinny Breen, June 13, 2010, 07:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 04, 2010, 06:51:26 PM

have antrim beaten anyone of note?

Have kildare beaten anyone of note in championship football?

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 05, 2010, 08:56:08 AM
Some people have asked who have we beat of significance. Maybe you should cast your mind back 2 years... Donegal, Cavan, rattling Kerry and drawing with Kildare is pretty big for antrim

Noone then?

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on July 05, 2010, 11:45:12 AM
Baker is Antrim's most successful manager since about 1912.  Simple as that.

Better than the Ulster winning teams in the 40s?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 05, 2010, 10:21:13 AM
Big Willie Heffernan is a legend.

There's only going to be one winner when you take on the big Nurney monster!

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

imtommygunn

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 04, 2010, 06:51:26 PM

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 05, 2010, 08:56:08 AM
Some people have asked who have we beat of significance. Maybe you should cast your mind back 2 years... Donegal, Cavan, rattling Kerry and drawing with Kildare is pretty big for antrim

Noone then?

Define significance DK?(or maybe another question is who defines significant - you?) We have beaten teams who were considered of significance relative to us under Baker yes and lots of them. Last year beating anyone was beating someone of significance. We went from winning no games to drawing with regular quarter finalists, getting to an ulster final and winning promotion twice in two years.

bannside

All fair enough ITG, but Saturday night as bad as we seen for a long time. Bereft of ideas, wrong gameplan, etc.

No doubt Baker/Conway have taken things on, but I would say that with the players at our disposal, the all -ireland club champions, the new training facilities available that Jody, Culbert and others never had access to, and the best generation of players we have had for some while, that progress was ineviitable.

If Baker/Conway stay, and they deserve to, I think their greatest contribution will be to sustain our position/ranking as a division two team.

Frankly I think St Galls could have won most of the matches in Division three, and definitely division four, so lets keep the lid on what has been achieved, and if anything stimulate a bit of constructive debate/interest in how we dont get to see more major disapointments like Saturday night, or the league final, or the majority of the mismatch against Tyrone.

On what I see, if we are still in division two in ten months, then I will be pleasantly surprised, but certainly it wont happen on Saturday nights showing.

Priority one must be to bulk the squad up physically. In division two the intensity increases, and a nice running style will not prevail in that environment.

Maybe time to move this to the Antrim thread.

imtommygunn

To be honest I would concur with most of what you said BS.

I was just trying to put some context on Baker's reign and people assessing it because we haven't beat a big gun yet.

We build by going at teams and playing a HF line. That is the fundamental thing we must do. We have played for too long with no half forward line.

Saturday night was crap. Not the fact we got beat but the nature of the defeat. No-one could argue that.

Anyway, rant over.

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Dinny Breen

Beaten to the punch
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?