Started by never kickt a ball, May 28, 2018, 11:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 28, 2018, 10:12:05 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on May 28, 2018, 05:50:04 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 28, 2018, 02:43:58 PM
Anyone at the Carlow game yesterday?
Were they good or Meath not interested?
Is it true half of Meath is now Dulchies and so Meath are being pushed out in their own Royal land by the Micks?

I think I'll start supporting Louth as I fancy a trip over to London. Will probably be better than this game anyway.

So, what is the injury count at the moment? Colm, Tiernan, Sparky, Lee and RoN (ego)
Any others?

Hope its a Sat game and not a Sunday one.
ronan o neill flying for omagh yesterday. man of the match display with 5 points to boot. i think its just when he pulls the tyrone jersey on his confidence gone.
Or not for the first time a decent club footballer finds the step up to senior county level to high.
or not the first tyrone player to win underage all irelands then go backwards when they join tyrone seniors...

Blowitupref

Quote from: southtyronegael on May 28, 2018, 10:20:37 PM
Is it true half of Meath is now Dulchies and so Meath are being pushed out in their own Royal land by the Micks?

I think I'll start supporting Louth as I fancy a trip over to London. Will probably be better than this game anyway.

So, what is the injury count at the moment? Colm, Tiernan, Sparky, Lee and RoN (ego)
Any others?

ronan o neill flying for omagh yesterday. man of the match display with 5 points to boot. i think its just when he pulls the tyrone jersey on his confidence gone.
Or not for the first time a decent club footballer finds the step up to senior county level to high.
or not the first tyrone player to win underage all irelands then go backwards when they join tyrone seniors...
Not backwards, same again as some simply doesn't make the step up to senior no matter how good they looked as minors on successful teams.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

southtyronegael

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 28, 2018, 10:31:41 PM

Any others?

Not backwards, same again as some simply doesn't make the step up to senior no matter how good they looked as minors on successful teams.
ray mulgrew, kyle coney, niall mc kenna, ronan o neill, danny mc nulty, richie donnelly, darren mc curry, conan grugan. thats off the top of my head of high class underage all ireland winners who went backwards when they joined the tyrone panel.

rrhf

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 28, 2018, 09:20:20 PM
Without checking the records over the last handful of years, one thing that I remember is that Páirc Tailteann has not been a good venue for Tyrone teams over the years, a bit of a graveyard if you will.
Navan Fort

Jinxy

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 28, 2018, 09:20:20 PM
Without checking the records over the last handful of years, one thing that I remember is that Páirc Tailteann has not been a good venue for Tyrone teams over the years, a bit of a graveyard if you will.

Pairc Tailteann was built on an ancient druid burial ground.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

redzone

Quote from: southtyronegael on May 28, 2018, 10:46:15 PM

Any others?

ray mulgrew, kyle coney, niall mc kenna, ronan o neill, danny mc nulty, richie donnelly, darren mc curry, conan grugan. thats off the top of my head of high class underage all ireland winners who went backwards when they joined the tyrone panel.
Ray mulgrew can't even make the Cookstown senior team this year. The one thing all them lack is speed, bar McKenna who is permanently injured. McCurry had a good spell with Tyrone.

southtyronegael

mc curry having an even better spell with edendork this year since he left the tyrone panel. strange that.

redzone

Yip seems to be flying. He always played well for Edendork. Pity he didn't hang around, could be doing no with him. You forgot about pasty mcniece  in your last post

thejuice

I reckon this will be a close enough game actually. Chances are we won't win but if the lads have any desire to make something of this year they'll just get on with it. We have the same core team that ran Tyrone close on two occasions.

That said, anyone with their eyes open knew this year was going to be a write off with lads leaving the panel at the start of the league and then others afterwards. There are others not wanting to be a part of the county set up too from what I understand.

The truth is we don't have the players right now to do anything and it's hard to say because I know the lads that are there are probably putting in ferocious effort.

The good news is that we are starting to get the right results at underage. This is really what is of more importance and interest right now than the senior panel. Hopefully this is the start of something bright for the future but it will have to be carefully managed so that these lads make the transition to senior level as smoothly as possible. There are some great looking prospects on our minor and U-20 side that hopefully when the time comes they'll blend in well with a few of the  remaining better lads we have at senior at the moment.

It's hard to know what the current management set up is like as some would just look at the results and say it's bad but if you go by what Andy is saying that the lads that are there are the ones that want to be there and give the commitment and those that don't are staying away. He is simply making the lads do what is necessary to close the gap with Dublin.

It seems though like it's a catch 22 because if you need to be doing very intense training to keep up with the Dubs, but that level of training is preventing you from having the best talent at your disposal what can you do.

But that's my reading of it. There might be more going on behind the scenes than I know.

Anyway this'll be a good test if the lads on this panel but I won't be crying into beer if it doesn't go our way.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

longballin

Quote from: redzone on May 28, 2018, 11:14:00 PM

Any others?

Ray mulgrew can't even make the Cookstown senior team this year. The one thing all them lack is speed, bar McKenna who is permanently injured. McCurry had a good spell with Tyrone.

What they lacked as Sean Cavanagh said was being played in a system allowed them express their talents.

In hiding

Quote from: redzone on May 28, 2018, 11:14:00 PM

Any others?

Lazy comment or just one to show your ignorance ?
You reckon Darren Mc Curry lacks speed ?
Richie Donnelly and Conan Grugan are as quick as you need to be to play half forward. They're as quick as Brian Mc Guigan,Ryan Mellon or Gerard Cavlan were and as quick as Conor Meyler, Frank Burns or Kieran Mc Geary are now

seafoid

Meath should give it a lash. They did a lot of training and it would be a pity not to register anything for all of it. Tyrone are a bit lost and have too many similar players. Plus they don't have any stand out forwards. We need to see Meath''s inner mongrel. If there is such a thing. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

Quote from: thejuice on May 28, 2018, 11:34:51 PM

That said, anyone with their eyes open knew this year was going to be a write off with lads leaving the panel at the start of the league and then others afterwards. There are others not wanting to be a part of the county set up too from what I understand.

The truth is we don't have the players right now to do anything and it's hard to say because I know the lads that are there are probably putting in ferocious effort.

The good news is that we are starting to get the right results at underage. This is really what is of more importance and interest right now than the senior panel. Hopefully this is the start of something bright for the future but it will have to be carefully managed so that these lads make the transition to senior level as smoothly as possible. There are some great looking prospects on our minor and U-20 side that hopefully when the time comes they'll blend in well with a few of the  remaining better lads we have at senior at the moment.

It's hard to know what the current management set up is like as some would just look at the results and say it's bad but if you go by what Andy is saying that the lads that are there are the ones that want to be there and give the commitment and those that don't are staying away. He is simply making the lads do what is necessary to close the gap with Dublin.

It seems though like it's a catch 22 because if you need to be doing very intense training to keep up with the Dubs, but that level of training is preventing you from having the best talent at your disposal what can you do.

But that's my reading of it. There might be more going on behind the scenes than I know.

Anyway this'll be a good test if the lads on this panel but I won't be crying into beer if it doesn't go our way.

Our problem at the moment is that we are not competing for anything.
Won't win Leinster, won't win an All-Ireland.
I don't think people in other provinces quite get this concept.
I'm not blaming Dublin for anything, they're doing their thing and utterly dominating, but the reality is that if we had beaten Longford, we'd be looking down the barrel of a 20-point tanking in Croke Park.
Now people will say, "You should still be beating Longford", and maybe they are right but I think we saw at the weekend what that intangible quality, 'spirit', can do for a team.
Meath teams don't have spirit anymore.
How do we get it back?
We get it back by winning!
You can see the conundrum here.
The sad reality is that it's not a big deal to play for Meath anymore.
When I was growing up you had instant rock star status if you were even anywhere near the training panel.
We have a weak club championship so the step up to county level is even more pronounced.
I think we all have our fingers and toes crossed that we start to see the progress at u-17 and u-20 level bear fruit, but until that happens some lads will simply decide it's not worth it.
All of our efforts should be focused on getting our u-17s to move on to u-20 and stay competitive with Dublin.
Dublin hurlers got to a stage where they had no fear of Kilkenny because they were used to beating them all the way up at underage.
I think it will take another 5 years, but hopefully we will arrive at a point where we are competitive again at the top level, and can sustain that competitiveness into the future.

westbound

Quote from: Jinxy on May 29, 2018, 10:29:01 AM
Quote from: thejuice on May 28, 2018, 11:34:51 PM

Our problem at the moment is that we are not competing for anything.
Won't win Leinster, won't win an All-Ireland.
I don't think people in other provinces quite get this concept.
I'm not blaming Dublin for anything, they're doing their thing and utterly dominating, but the reality is that if we had beaten Longford, we'd be looking down the barrel of a 20-point tanking in Croke Park.
Now people will say, "You should still be beating Longford", and maybe they are right but I think we saw at the weekend what that intangible quality, 'spirit', can do for a team.
Meath teams don't have spirit anymore.
How do we get it back?
We get it back by winning!

You can see the conundrum here.
The sad reality is that it's not a big deal to play for Meath anymore.
When I was growing up you had instant rock star status if you were even anywhere near the training panel.
We have a weak club championship so the step up to county level is even more pronounced.
I think we all have our fingers and toes crossed that we start to see the progress at u-17 and u-20 level bear fruit, but until that happens some lads will simply decide it's not worth it.
All of our efforts should be focused on getting our u-17s to move on to u-20 and stay competitive with Dublin.
Dublin hurlers got to a stage where they had no fear of Kilkenny because they were used to beating them all the way up at underage.
I think it will take another 5 years, but hopefully we will arrive at a point where we are competitive again at the top level, and can sustain that competitiveness into the future.
Did longford or Carlow have spirit at the weekend? How did they get it?
Why can some teams in Leinster have spirit but not meath?

Jinxy

Longford and Carlow have something to play for though.
Look at the reaction to their respective wins.
They took two 'scalps', i.e. defeated counties who are traditionally more successful than them.
A successful (and I use the term loosely) Leinster campaign for Meath in the current climate would involve beating Kildare.
We know we are a hundred miles off Dublin.
I don't mean any disrespect to Longford or Carlow who were full value for their wins.
It's not arrogance, so much as it is a kind of malignant and subconscious apathy.
The players do the training, eat the right food etc. but it's as if they've forgotten all of that stuff is a means to an end, and not an end in itself.
We used to have cold-blooded killers playing for us.
They might not have been the best trainers, or had the best diet, but when they went on the field they refused to give an inch and refused to give up no matter how far behind they were.
With the benefit of hindsight, I think we were too hasty and got rid of some of our best footballers in recent years because they weren't athletes.
Now, we're in some kind of limbo where we don't have enough footballers to beat a team of footballers and we don't have enough athletes to beat a team of athletes.