TG4 - Club Championships Coverage

Started by drici, September 23, 2007, 05:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

And still loads of people tell us there's nothing wrong with football!
Or should I say Throwball.
It's all down to the effn handpass......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ashman

Crokes were systematically fouling and TBH it is hard stop that .  The black card don't stop that .  Slsughtneil can have no complaints on the sending off .  The first hard was enjoyable but the second half was utterly ugly . 

The handpass is the root of all the ills of garlic football and needs to be limited.

Sionnach

First half had some lovely football. Second half wasn't a great spectacle.

Plenty of cynicism on both sides, Crokes were a bit smarter about it.  They fouled in a systematic fashion e.g. consistently preventing McKaigue from getting going.  But Slaughtneill were up to plenty themselves.  O'Leary's jersey was being pulled constantly.  There were multiple incidents of Slaughtneill players running into Crokes off the ball and diving to the ground.  O'Doherty backed into Payne and threw himself down claiming an elbow.  When Gavin White fell over the ball inside the penalty area, a defender barrelled straight into him from behind with no action from the referee.

Slaughtneill did well against the wind in the first half.  Christopher Bradley showed his class.  Cassidy had a fine half and a nice goal, then committed an act of stupidity with the richly deserved red card. Embarrassing stuff here from a selector trying to defend it.  I would hope he changes his tune after seeing the replay.

http://www.the42.ie/slaughtneil-red-card-3293939-Mar2017/

For Crokes, Payne was a deserving choice for man of the match, and snuffed out the early threat of O'Doherty.  Cooper looks a mere shadow of his pre-injury glory, but applied a classy finish for the goal.  Looney kicked some beauties.  Casey made a couple of crucial plays.  The impact of Burns and Kiely off the bench was one of the main differences between the teams. 

In the end Crokes had the better footballers, and were also cleverer in their application of the dark arts that now pervade the game.  Deegan certainly missed things on both sides, but realistically there is only so much the referee can do under the current rules and with the current attitude of players.

Jinxy

John Joe Kearney is a lucky man.
No one who has ever received a dig in the balls would ever accuse someone who had, of making a 'meal of it'.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

The Stallion

Absolute dung talked by Kearney there. Typical of the common malaise within GAA of blaming the ref or opposition rather than admitting the truth.

The worst thing is that they'll all have learned nothing from it, and will be back out later in the year with the same cynical tactics and defending the indefensible.

mayoaremagic

Excellent football display from Crokes. Play football the right way. No blanket defense or negative football.

The Stallion

There was plenty of negative football from both sides.

rodney trotter

Crokes were playing down the clock with plenty of time left ,plus injury time. Very frustrating to watch that. There should be a limit on it.

The Stallion

Have to say they ran down the clock as well as I've seen any team do it, although Slaughtneil were silly in not pushing up, they had to take risks at that stage but their conservative style is so ingrained they were reluctant to do so. As well as the fatigue as a result of playing half the game a man down after the stupid red card they got.

But i agree it's not great to watch.

lenny

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 18, 2017, 02:43:43 PM
Crokes were playing down the clock with plenty of time left ,plus injury time. Very frustrating to watch that. There should be a limit on it.

It's up to the other team to put a limit on it by pushing up. No team can do that for any length if the other team push up and put pressure on the ball.

imtommygunn

Quote from: mayoaremagic on March 18, 2017, 02:36:24 PM
Excellent football display from Crokes. Play football the right way. No blanket defense or negative football.

;D

In the hurling that ff from cuala is some player.

I think in the football some are probably right in that both football teams were at a bit of cynicism but crokes quite hard to like. (Il bomber was right after all!) The ref let far too much go and it killed the game. When so much is let go boys lose the rag a bit and that is what happened when they should know better. (Yeah i think oleary never had hos jersey let go like someone said too)

Throw ball

Quote from: Rossfan on March 18, 2017, 10:05:24 AM
And still loads of people tell us there's nothing wrong with football!
Or should I say Throwball.
It's all down to the effn handpass......

I think isn't my fault!  ;D

StGallsGAA

Quote from: mayoaremagic on March 18, 2017, 02:36:24 PM

The Gaaboard welcomes Sean Spicer!   ;D

The Stallion

One of his other posts declares Aidan O'Shea is the greatest midfielder of the past 25 years lol.

Armamike

It was disappointing to see Dr Crokes playing down the clock the way they did with 10 minutes left, against 14 men.  There's no glory in that and i doubt they'll go down in Gaa folklore. Great club teams would have pushed on and won that game pulling up and left a more positive memory.  Doubt they will give a stuff though.  Slaughtneil, for all the great things that they've done as a club this year and the last few years, they can only have themselves to blame for letting this one slip.  That level of indiscipline for the sending off just isn't acceptable for any side in the biggest of games, and usually means curtains. 
That's just, like your opinion man.