American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Capt Pat

Rosen might drop to the Cardinals if the Dolphins don't take him.

Capt Pat

Vikings take Mike Hughes corner back UCF. Not who I would have chosen but I trust the decision of the Vikings front office.

Minder

This is why the Browns can't have nice things
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

lurganblue

The draft is a great system, still though, it must be awful to be a 1st round draft pick going to the Browns.

trailer

How well do the 1st picks tend to do? Americans love stats. Is there a percentage of how likely a 1st round pick is to be a success? Who went 1st last year? Were they a success?

Minder

Quote from: trailer on April 27, 2018, 09:47:03 AM
How well do the 1st picks tend to do? Americans love stats. Is there a percentage of how likely a 1st round pick is to be a success? Who went 1st last year? Were they a success?

Myles Garrett went #1 last year to the Browns and yeah I would say he has a very good career ahead of him, hard to judge on one years play. You need to wait 3 or 4 years before judging a draft class.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Minder on April 27, 2018, 08:32:08 AM

They are strange, strange people.

Mayfield might be excellent, but I'm amazed at the 4th pick. I'm amazed they didn't trade it, but maybe they didn't get anything juicy. But if they didn't trade it, I'm amazed they didn't pick Chubb, or one of the Notre Dame OLs to help protect Mayfield. Gas men.

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 27, 2018, 10:44:24 AM
Quote from: Minder on April 27, 2018, 08:32:08 AM

They are strange, strange people.

Mayfield might be excellent, but I'm amazed at the 4th pick. I'm amazed they didn't trade it, but maybe they didn't get anything juicy. But if they didn't trade it, I'm amazed they didn't pick Chubb, or one of the Notre Dame OLs to help protect Mayfield. Gas men.

Yeah I think passing on Chubb was worse than taking Mayfield #1, who probably would have been there at #4. Garrett & Chubb would have been a great DE pairing.

The Iceman

why was the crowd boo'ing the commissioner? Or who were the heckling?

delighted with the Giants pick. Thought the seahawks made a strange move for a kick return but you never know with P.C
Browns certainly turned the whole thing upside down with their picks. A lot of teams didn't have to trade up to get their targets as a result. Interesting commentary!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

Goodell is a pantomime villain, he's absolutely hated by some people, and others just love to give him grief. He's seen as unfair, inconsistent, and his punishments seem to be driven by public outcry rather than any sort of standard.

oakleaflad

Very happy with Minkah Fitzpatrick to the Dolphins. Probably a top 5 player at pick 11 and will make a nice pairing with Reshad Jones.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 27, 2018, 12:51:10 PM
Goodell is a pantomime villain, he's absolutely hated by some people, and others just love to give him grief. He's seen as unfair, inconsistent, and his punishments seem to be driven by public outcry rather than any sort of standard.

He's up there with Gary Bettman of the NHL in the unlikable stakes.

Rob Manfred and David Silver seem to be well liked

Syferus

I think everyone bar the owners hate him at this stage. And even Jerry Jones (a true expert on dickheads) would rather get rid of him in that group of old, white money grabbers.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on April 27, 2018, 02:21:14 PM

I think everyone bar the owners hate him at this stage. And even Jerry Jones (a true expert on d**kheads) would rather get rid of him in that group of old, white money grabbers.

Factually correct :)

Although some* of them are not white,  they are all money grabbers :)

* = 1