Gas or Oil

Started by JoG2, January 17, 2018, 12:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveherlong

Quote from: thebuzz on January 18, 2018, 01:01:14 PM
Quote from: GJL on January 18, 2018, 12:49:21 PM
No gas in our area but I'm considering upgrading my old oil burner to a condenser type. Is there a grant for such?

No gas in our area either. We have underfloor heating and although it's a nice heat it definitely uses more oil than radiators. Have been talking about getting a condensing boiler but haven't got around to it yet. I think the grant is means tested.

A bigger initial investment but an air source heat pump is best for running under floor heating
Have you liquid screed and what depth is it

johnneycool

Quote from: giveherlong on January 18, 2018, 01:38:01 PM
No gas in our area but I'm considering upgrading my old oil burner to a condenser type. Is there a grant for such?

No gas in our area either. We have underfloor heating and although it's a nice heat it definitely uses more oil than radiators. Have been talking about getting a condensing boiler but haven't got around to it yet. I think the grant is means tested.

A bigger initial investment but an air source heat pump is best for running under floor heating

I've underfloor in and don't find it expensive at all.
In saying that I spunked a fortune on insulation and with the ultraflo screed less than 50mm you get the heat quicker than conventional sand/cement screed at 100mm.

When did you put in the underfloor?

JoG2

I think the combined household income has to be below £40k (you get a £400 grant) according to the website. Have thought about the condenser myself. I suppose whatever a man does, they'll be an initial outlay hit

trueblue1234

Quote from: johnneycool on January 18, 2018, 01:45:13 PM
Quote from: giveherlong on January 18, 2018, 01:38:01 PM

I've underfloor in and don't find it expensive at all.
In saying that I spunked a fortune on insulation and with the ultraflo screed less than 50mm you get the heat quicker than conventional sand/cement screed at 100mm.

When did you put in the underfloor?

We did the same and have to say it's very easy on the oil. But same as you, spent a fortune insulating. Thankfully wsa buying the insulation a couple of years ago as I believe it has went up significantly in price since then. We had debated about the sand cement screed as some people said it holds the heat better but is slower to warm up.So went with the liquid screed. It's been a great job.

We debated the air source heat pump (and the geo-therm) and were going to go with that when the grants were still there. We were actually at the stage of ordering it when the grant was pulled (Thanks Arlene). But we were thankful that we hadn't gone too far as I know ones who had it installed but not signed off and didn't qualify for the grant. Without the grant it would take a bit more thinking about as there's fairly hefty set up costs.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit