Author Topic: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on France 2016  (Read 429374 times)

muppet

• View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on Euro 2012
« Reply #675 on: June 04, 2011, 10:51:41 PM »
That was a superb win tonight. Anyone pondering quality at this moment should be hanged for treason. Well done Ireland, and special mention for the greatest attacking player this country has ever produced. I doubt anyone on this forum will live long enough to see his goalscoring record eclipsed.

Lots of balance and perspective there.  ::)

Take Robbie Keane and Shay Given out of that team and it is a poor team. Dunne is huge loss fair enough but our problem is two central midfielders who cannot string successive passes together. They are hackers. Add in two weak full backs, if Dunne is missing - no centre backs and you have a poor team.
MWWSI 2017

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #676 on: June 04, 2011, 11:00:25 PM »
Muppet, anyone who has watched an Ireland game in the past 5 years would be fit to tell you that it is a side bereft of quality. There is no need to bring it up tonight. Just celebrate overachievement when you're lucky enough to witness it.

Orangemac

• View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 04, 2011, 11:08:05 PM »
Fair play to Robbie Keane,he has his critics and begrudgers but its hard to slate a man who has scored 51 International goals.
Credit where credit is due.
Agreed he can be a frustrating bugger when his flicks/dummies don't work but his international record is incredible and he has scored against all the top teams, Spain, Italy, France, Germany, not a flat track bully lke Peter Crouch who has a lot of international goals but mostly against crap teams.

Ireland need Keane and Given playing regularly in the Prem league next year. 10 points from last 4 games would give Ireland great chance of winning group.

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 04, 2011, 11:08:44 PM »
Muppet, anyone who has watched an Ireland game in the past 5 years would be fit to tell you that it is a side bereft of quality. There is no need to bring it up tonight. Just celebrate overachievement when you're lucky enough to witness it.

Ok I'll pretend we are great.
MWWSI 2017

J OGorman

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 04, 2011, 11:14:08 PM »

Have a little perspective.
Dunphy has done his work..grow a set and think for yourself man

ardtole

• View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 04, 2011, 11:20:51 PM »
You should give credit were credit is due. Ireland were missing Dunne, Duff and Doyle away from home in an arena were we dropped points previously with much better teams. In the build up to the game there was attention on the players who pulled out but over the last 10 years the commitment shown by Given, Oshea, Kilbane, Dunne, Duff, McGeady, Doyle, Keane amongst others has been excellent. Sadly in the future this is unlikely to be repeated as the newer breed of professional footballers seem to have lost interest or pride in playing for their country. I really hope I am wrong though.

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 04, 2011, 11:43:31 PM »

Have a little perspective.
Dunphy has done his work..grow a set and think for yourself man

Do you only do ad hominem?  ::)
MWWSI 2017

sammymaguire

• Fantasy Premier League Head-to-Head Champion 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 05, 2011, 12:02:41 AM »
Ireland are 34th in the FIFA world rankings. A small island of the west coast of Europe with a small population, if we qualify for any major tournaments that's an achievement on it's own.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

The Worker

• hoy hoy sailor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 05, 2011, 11:12:55 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 05, 2011, 12:30:54 PM »
It's the third time we have gone there and the first time we have won and won easy without playing well. We didn't control the ball, but still controlled the game and won on merit. Russia, a far better team than us, were very lucky to get a win there.
Pointless complaining that the players are not better than they are. They are about the best available. If people don't like it at intl level, then follow the entertainment provided by Spain or Brazil or stick to whichever club is in fashion.

O'Shea is a good central defender if he doesn't have to lead. Unlike Dunne and St Ledger, he isn't assertive enough to lead a rookie partner. Kilbane had a good game as long as he didn't try to play too much. Neither Ward at RB nor Foley at LB have showed enough so far and Cunningham when he gets fit, looks the most likely full back.
Of course we can all cry out for whoever Dunphy thinks should be there at CM, who was it 2 years ago? - Andy Reid? then last year it was Fahey.
Next up, a friendly on Tuesday against Italy.

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 05, 2011, 06:25:23 PM »
It's the third time we have gone there and the first time we have won and won easy without playing well. We didn't control the ball, but still controlled the game and won on merit. Russia, a far better team than us, were very lucky to get a win there.
Pointless complaining that the players are not better than they are. They are about the best available. If people don't like it at intl level, then follow the entertainment provided by Spain or Brazil or stick to whichever club is in fashion.

O'Shea is a good central defender if he doesn't have to lead. Unlike Dunne and St Ledger, he isn't assertive enough to lead a rookie partner. Kilbane had a good game as long as he didn't try to play too much. Neither Ward at RB nor Foley at LB have showed enough so far and Cunningham when he gets fit, looks the most likely full back.
Of course we can all cry out for whoever Dunphy thinks should be there at CM, who was it 2 years ago? - Andy Reid? then last year it was Fahey.
Next up, a friendly on Tuesday against Italy.

Is the deal here that you either sing Ole, Ole, Ole all the time or else you are a Dunphy supporter? Either seems to prevent individual opinion.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 05, 2011, 10:25:29 PM »
I am and have been a major critic of Robbie Keane and I have outlined why in clear terms previously. However, I will say that 51 goals for Ireland is simply incredible and I cannot see that ever being beaten. Didn't see the game so cannot comment on it. Didn't think we'd win beforehand so its clearly a bloody good result.

Hoof Hearted

• Oh Yeessss !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 07, 2011, 09:20:56 PM »
1-0 up against italy, 15 mins to go. Keith Andrews goal
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

No1

• View Profile
Re: Re: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on Euro 2012
« Reply #688 on: June 07, 2011, 09:21:13 PM »
Andy Keogh - can anyone give me a positive? I honestly can't think of one and usually I try to see the best in someone!

Big Puff

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 07, 2011, 09:21:58 PM »
great performance tonite against a much stronger italian team (on paper)