Author Topic: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on France 2016  (Read 467421 times)

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on Euro 2012
« Reply #570 on: March 28, 2011, 10:09:50 AM »
An obvious question maybe, but I'm not sure I've ever seen the answer. Duff is predominantly left footed I think, and McGeady seems to be right footed. If they are not, then both of them spend an inordinate amount of time 'cutting in'. You'll never beat a proper international defence cutting in every single time. Why don't they switch wings and attack down the outside. Both of them are capable of beating a man once, and should be able to put in a cross.

I realise that a winger cutting in can have a shot, like McGeady's goal, but that only happens rarely in fairness. Probably more dangerous to have good balls being put into the box from the end line?

That only works when you have proper goalscorers in the team who can head the ball. Keane is poor in the air and Doyle, for all his workrate and industry, isn't a quality goalscorer.

Leo Messi doesn't do a bad job cutting in from the right wing  ;)
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 28, 2011, 10:51:02 AM »
An obvious question maybe, but I'm not sure I've ever seen the answer. Duff is predominantly left footed I think, and McGeady seems to be right footed. If they are not, then both of them spend an inordinate amount of time 'cutting in'. You'll never beat a proper international defence cutting in every single time. Why don't they switch wings and attack down the outside. Both of them are capable of beating a man once, and should be able to put in a cross.

I realise that a winger cutting in can have a shot, like McGeady's goal, but that only happens rarely in fairness. Probably more dangerous to have good balls being put into the box from the end line?

That only works when you have proper goalscorers in the team who can head the ball. Keane is poor in the air and Doyle, for all his workrate and industry, isn't a quality goalscorer.

Doyle is a good header of the ball, and we have more options who can head the ball at least. But every ball in from the wing doesn't need to be for a header, cutbacks on the ground, or crosses low in the 'corridor of uncertainty' are just as dangerous.

Messi plays most of his time in the middle I'd say, he drifts in from the wing and picks the ball up in the centre. That's different to picking the ball up on the wing and *then* cutting inside.

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 28, 2011, 11:54:46 AM »

Doyle is a good header of the ball, and we have more options who can head the ball at least. But every ball in from the wing doesn't need to be for a header, cutbacks on the ground, or crosses low in the 'corridor of uncertainty' are just as dangerous.

Messi plays most of his time in the middle I'd say, he drifts in from the wing and picks the ball up in the centre. That's different to picking the ball up on the wing and *then* cutting inside.

Doyle may be decent with his head, but he's hardly Les Ferdinand or Christian Vieri. We just don't have the quality up front to go down the wings and stick balls into the box (no jokes please)
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

Denn Forever

• Any means neccessary
    • View Profile
    • Malcolm x
« Reply #573 on: March 28, 2011, 03:07:29 PM »
Trappatoni is adventurous.

Republic of Ireland team to play Uruguay in an international friendly at the Aviva Stadium on Tuesday 29 March:

Westwood; Foley, O'Dea, Kelly (capt), Clark; Lawrence, Fahey, Green, McGeady; McCarthy, Long

Kelly to skipper Ireland, McCarthy starts
Monday, 28 March 2011 14:37
Stephen Kelly will captain the Republic of Ireland in tomorrow night's friendly with Uruguay.

The 27-year-old Fulham defender will take over the armband from Robbie Keane who has been released as manager Giovanni Trapattoni takes a look at some of his back-up players.

Kelly, who will win his 21st cap, was an unused substitute in Saturday night's 2-1 Euro 2012 qualifier victory over Macedonia.

Having made his first competitive appearance off the bench against Macedonia, Wigan's James McCarthy will start behind the lone striker Shane Long between Aidan McGeady and Liam Lawrence and in front of Keith Fahey and Paul Green.

Kelly will be in the centre of defence with Ciaran Clark on the left, Darren O'Dea in the centre and Kevin Foley on the right.

Keiren Westwood continues in goal in the absence of Shay Given.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

The Worker

• hoy hoy sailor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 28, 2011, 04:13:21 PM »
Trappatoni is adventurous.

Republic of Ireland team to play Uruguay in an international friendly at the Aviva Stadium on Tuesday 29 March:

Westwood; Foley, O'Dea, Kelly (capt), Clark; Lawrence, Fahey, Green, McGeady; McCarthy, Long

Kelly to skipper Ireland, McCarthy starts
Monday, 28 March 2011 14:37
Stephen Kelly will captain the Republic of Ireland in tomorrow night's friendly with Uruguay.

The 27-year-old Fulham defender will take over the armband from Robbie Keane who has been released as manager Giovanni Trapattoni takes a look at some of his back-up players.

Kelly, who will win his 21st cap, was an unused substitute in Saturday night's 2-1 Euro 2012 qualifier victory over Macedonia.

Having made his first competitive appearance off the bench against Macedonia, Wigan's James McCarthy will start behind the lone striker Shane Long between Aidan McGeady and Liam Lawrence and in front of Keith Fahey and Paul Green.

Kelly will be in the centre of defence with Ciaran Clark on the left, Darren O'Dea in the centre and Kevin Foley on the right.

Keiren Westwood continues in goal in the absence of Shay Given.

that team is wrong, its keogh instead of mc geady

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 29, 2011, 12:31:53 PM »
Fair play to Trappatoni. He is really helping Darron Gibson get more games (as he always say Darron needs) by leaving him on the bench tonight. Possibly a better team than the one that played the other night!

Billys Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 29, 2011, 12:37:16 PM »
In fairness Seanie, he probably has an agreement with Ferguson not to play him twice. 

Contrary to the prevailing opinions here, I thought the midfield (Gibson/Whelan) had a decent first half on Saturday, in that they did exactly what the manager instructed them to do, and did it effectively.  The roving #7 gave them problems all night though. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Bingo

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 29, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »
Fair play to Trappatoni. He is really helping Darron Gibson get more games (as he always say Darron needs) by leaving him on the bench tonight. Possibly a better team than the one that played the other night!

Maybe he realised that Gibson is useless and has to look at getting someone else in  ;)

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 29, 2011, 01:00:39 PM »
In fairness Seanie, he probably has an agreement with Ferguson not to play him twice. 

Contrary to the prevailing opinions here, I thought the midfield (Gibson/Whelan) had a decent first half on Saturday, in that they did exactly what the manager instructed them to do, and did it effectively.  The roving #7 gave them problems all night though.

Whelan has as much composure as Síle Seoighe at a Kylie concert. He kept passing the ball to the opposition. Sure he wins it back some of the time but a better player won't have to.
MWWSI 2017

stiffler

• RIP ONL & THE LADS
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 29, 2011, 01:07:42 PM »
Any word on the uruaguay team? is suarez/forlan starting?

I don't know how Keogh gets a run out. Would have been an ideal time to look at Wilson in a defensive midfield position.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Bingo

• View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 29, 2011, 01:37:22 PM »
Suarez not in squad, "injured" at the minute.

Billys Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 29, 2011, 01:53:01 PM »

Whelan has as much composure as Síle Seoighe at a Kylie concert. He kept passing the ball to the opposition. Sure he wins it back some of the time but a better player won't have to.

Ah Elmo, he only 'lost' it a couple of times - for me those times stood out as we looked to be in a good place to launch attacks.  However, the attacking seems to be only through the wide midfielders at present.  By the way, McGeady gave the ball away more times than Whelan, from my recollection, but there doesn't seem to be any talk about that.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 29, 2011, 01:54:41 PM »

Maybe he realised that Gibson is useless and has to look at getting someone else in  ;)

You realise Green is playing do you? Maybe Gibson is useless but he's one of our least useless options.

BB - would really doubt such an agreement is in place. If it was surely he'd have been sent back to Manchester?

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 29, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »

You realise Green is playing do you? Maybe Gibson is useless but he's one of our least useless options.

BB - would really doubt such an agreement is in place. If it was surely he'd have been sent back to Manchester?

I love it!
MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 29, 2011, 02:28:07 PM »

I love it!

Agreed, Green certainly doesn't have the pedigree for this level of football.