Author Topic: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on France 2016  (Read 467418 times)

Denn Forever

• Any means neccessary
    • View Profile
    • Malcolm x
Re: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on Euro 2012
« Reply #555 on: March 26, 2011, 11:26:41 PM »
Play like that against Russia and they will hammer us. Any more news on Doyles injury?Could be devastating for Wolves in their relegation fight

McCarthy can't get an even break.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AFS

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 26, 2011, 11:34:22 PM »
Whelan was shocking tonight. Fahey needs to start with McCarthy in the middle.

Don't know if Dunne wasn't fit but was poor tonight.

3 points in Macedonia would leave Republic in good position. Seem to play better away from home.

Fahey or McCarthy coming into the midfield would improve things. Both would leave a vulnerable back four very exposed. Think Cyprus under Stan.

Hardy

• View Profile
Re: Re: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on Euro 2012
« Reply #557 on: March 27, 2011, 12:01:23 AM »
I can't believe I wasn't hearing things, so can anybody tell me me if I misheard George Hamilton saying Duff has had training from a judo coach in how to fall?
I studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through - L.Cohen

Forever Green

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 27, 2011, 12:27:20 AM »
According to the bbc, doyle could be out for the rest of the season with a medial ligament injury. Bad news for Ireland but especially Wolves

Shamrock Shore

• We are proud to be Larries
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 27, 2011, 12:33:20 AM »
Hardy - I can confirm Dangerhere did say this.

As well as saying "It's like watching Brazil" in the first half.

In the second half it was more painful than a Brazillian (or so I am lead to believe).

Brady was horrid contrary about the empty seats. Is Denis O'Brien paying him as well?

Hardy

• View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 27, 2011, 10:54:02 AM »

In the second half it was more painful than a Brazillian (or so I am lead to believe).

Brady was horrid contrary about the empty seats. Is Denis O'Brien paying him as well?

Good God! It's the sort of thing you'd say as a bad joke about soccer players and you're telling me it's true. What a travesty of a game it's been allowed to become.
I studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through - L.Cohen

mylestheslasher

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 27, 2011, 11:00:59 AM »
Disappointing match after a dream start. I would have given Foley mom. Duff worked hard but never got in behind Popov. Shane Long was poor enough at times as he wasn't holding up the ball. Whelan is just not good enough especially if he can't get a game at his club. I think Gibson could be ok but he needs a few players to pass the ball with him. Richard Dunne looked very poor too. If Trap doesn't get a few players onto the team who are playing football with their clubs and are on a bit of form instead of this loyalty to old players rubbish then we will get bet in Macedonia.

GalwayBayBoy

• No show like a Joe show!
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 27, 2011, 12:59:26 PM »

Good God! It's the sort of thing you'd say as a bad joke about soccer players and you're telling me it's true. What a travesty of a game it's been allowed to become.

I presume by saying he's getting coaching from a judoka in learning how to fall it's to avoid injury. Think Duff has had a couple of dislocated shoulders and once you have one you become very susceptible to picking up more of them.

laoislad

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 27, 2011, 01:13:46 PM »
"That's below the belt"

What about Chippy having a go at Bill over the plight of the working man .... brilliant.

If it did cost 60 yo yos to go to that game tonight no wonder the stadium was half empty.

It was 45 for a ticket..

Positives from last night:
They Won
First half performance and last 10 mins in 2nd half
James McCarthy coming on and putting an end to which country he is gonna play for.
The 3 pints of Guinness I had in Paddy Cullens before the game...like new milk they were.

Negatives:
Poor for large patches of 2nd half
The pitch(f**king Rugby hoors)
Doyle getting injured ..any update??
That f**king I just can't get enough song them fans of that Glasgow club sing making an appearance in some sections of the crowd. 
The poor attendance,maybe when people stop thinking this is f**king Rugby country they will start coming to games again..45 wasn't that expensive for a ticket last night.
I was in Row CC of the top tier,I was wrecked tired by the time I climbed up to my seat.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:16:17 PM by laoislad »

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 27, 2011, 01:38:39 PM »
I can't believe I wasn't hearing things, so can anybody tell me me if I misheard George Hamilton saying Duff has had training from a judo coach in how to fall?
Duff when at Blackburn, was young buck making asses out of defenders with his skill on the ball.
Naturally he became a target for tackles to teach him to behave. Every game he was hacked senseless until the fullback got a yellow card. He dislocated his shoulder from hard falls to the turf, then it kept happening repeatedly. At Chelsea he took lessons on how to fall and hit the ground without doing in his shoulder.
Since then I don't think he has dislocated his shoulder once.

Hardy

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 27, 2011, 01:40:09 PM »
Who coached Robbie Keane?

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 27, 2011, 01:57:31 PM »
Mad how people see games differently. Granted I tend to get distracted when watching soccer but of what I did see, Duff was shite.
It's not mad, you are just shite when it come soccer.

On others here, on Ireland's performances  usually there is a difference of perception between barstoolers and the res, i.e. the people who follow local soccer leagues or/and follow the international team.
Difference of opinions is a normal thing. But barstoolers are the worst analysts of Irish international football. Somehow there's already an engrained inferiority complex. There is an assumed knowledge, based on watching epl on sky which does not reconcile with the available talent for the FAI and the standard of play.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 27, 2011, 09:43:11 PM »
Duff was shite. As a real constructive influence on the game I didn't think he added much. He's beginning to remind me of Neil Lennon - get the ball and pass sideways / backwards.

Working hard ain't enough for international football.

Would like to see more of McCarthy in centre mid - agree regarding Whelan.

muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 27, 2011, 10:19:22 PM »
Duff was shite. As a real constructive influence on the game I didn't think he added much. He's beginning to remind me of Neil Lennon - get the ball and pass sideways / backwards.

Working hard ain't enough for international football.

Would like to see more of McCarthy in centre mid - agree regarding Whelan.

Not all doom and gloom. James McCarthy showed more composure and touch in 5 minutes than Gibson and Whelan in 90. Throw in Seamus Coleman and a fit O'Shea at left-back, with Given behind and it starts to look like a proper team, but unfortunately Trapp will be very slow to ring the changes.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 28, 2011, 09:24:24 AM »
An obvious question maybe, but I'm not sure I've ever seen the answer. Duff is predominantly left footed I think, and McGeady seems to be right footed. If they are not, then both of them spend an inordinate amount of time 'cutting in'. You'll never beat a proper international defence cutting in every single time. Why don't they switch wings and attack down the outside. Both of them are capable of beating a man once, and should be able to put in a cross.

I realise that a winger cutting in can have a shot, like McGeady's goal, but that only happens rarely in fairness. Probably more dangerous to have good balls being put into the box from the end line?