Author Topic: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on France 2016  (Read 483863 times)

trileacman

• View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on Euro 2012
« Reply #255 on: September 07, 2010, 10:28:52 PM »
Where were these 50 tickets for,mine was 70
Boring enough match but some nice goals.
3 points is all that matters though
on ticketmaster. Cheapest I could find was 50. Mind you that was probably a seat behind stone wall.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 07, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
Jaysus we are hard to watch when we have to try and play football constructively. McGeady is one of those players who you'd love to throttle cos the amount of times he picks the wrong option is incredible. Anyway we'll here the usual tripe re a professional job etc, 3 points, top of the table, they were well organised etc.
The amazing thing is that the majority of these lads ply their trade in the PL on about 40K a week.

McGeady IMO was our best player, made a lot of good runs and crosses that other people other people f**k up. goal-scoring passes to Keogh and Kilbane who couldn't take their goals. Okay he makes mistakes but is by far and away our best outlet in attack. Our other tactic is to aim for the noggin of "5 ft 11 1⁄2 in" Kevin Doyle and against two of the worst back fours in Europe it has succeeded. When we play a team with two decent centre backs of good aerial ability we are fooked. In fact if Armenia had Dunne and St ledger at the back we would never have scored. Now I'm not a celtic die-hard or McGeady's brother but I just think he takes alot of flack for playing quite well. He's the only player on the team able to take a man on and beat him with ease. Crossing is poor but all Lawrence does is pass back to the full back and his one redeemable attribute is to kick a good free.

GBXII

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 07, 2010, 11:08:22 PM »
Was very interesting there, had a look on the boards.ie site at the Ireland thread just to see what Irish supporters were saying about the match. An unbelievable amount of abuse being directed at McGeady. It's funny because I can understand why people might regard him as being frustrating and maybe he didnt have a great game but to say he's shite and not worth his place on the team has to be just plain wrong. In my eyes he is the only attacking outlet, actually, as far as I can see, the only player on the team/squad who has any bit of pace.

Was also interesting how in his interview Trap made the effort to single out McGeady. In my opinon either because he genuinely felt he was brilliant or because he wants to boost his confidence. Either way Trap knows he is a talented player.

trileacman

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 07, 2010, 11:41:41 PM »
Was very interesting there, had a look on the boards.ie site at the Ireland thread just to see what Irish supporters were saying about the match. An unbelievable amount of abuse being directed at McGeady. It's funny because I can understand why people might regard him as being frustrating and maybe he didnt have a great game but to say he's shite and not worth his place on the team has to be just plain wrong. In my eyes he is the only attacking outlet, actually, as far as I can see, the only player on the team/squad who has any bit of pace.

Was also interesting how in his interview Trap made the effort to single out McGeady. In my opinon either because he genuinely felt he was brilliant or because he wants to boost his confidence. Either way Trap knows he is a talented player.

Did any one else notice just how unbelievably slow Lawrence was to fetch that ball that was running out towards the end-line when he dribbled into the box? It was tara altogether!

GBXII

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 07, 2010, 11:46:06 PM »
Yeah he's very slow in fairness, looks like he is always knackered too. Maybe a bit too much muscle on board.

Declan

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 08, 2010, 07:51:16 AM »
I agree that McGeady was our best attacking outlet but really at this stage of his career he should have more consistency in his final ball. That's why I said he's the most frustrating type of player because he has ability but unless he has an epiphany in Moscow he'll remain like that

lynchbhoy

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 08, 2010, 09:47:36 AM »
McGeady has always taken the wrong option. To be fair to him he is improving, but he and the rest of the Irish team need to take the simple option. Too slow to move the ball , the likes of mcgeady and lawrence need space and by the time the ball gets tothem they are closed down.
Thats brain dead soccer from Ireland - but its par for the course for a lot of modern teams.
Move the ball up, across midfield, an opponent comes within 20 yards, hit it back to the full back or centre half and then the keeper who bombs it up into the other box to his counterpart keeper. f**king hell.
This might be great practice for when Ireland play spain, but against andorra and armenia ffs !!

Ireland are improving I believe, but they need to up the tempo,move it wider sooner and have more movement from the two front men as Doyle with his back to goal knocking it on to Keane who may get in on goal , only to scuff it 9 times out of 10 is not a great attacking tactic imo.

If they cant get the ball early to mcgeady (in space) and cant play a faster tempo then its going to be more of the same.
However as international soccer is all on much the same level now, Ireland stand a good chance of qualifying. Only a few teams in the world are better than this it seems !

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 08, 2010, 09:50:12 AM »
That was fairly muck. McGeady was his usual self, but I think you know what you are getting with him at this stage. In fairness he was involved in most good things Ireland did.

We are awful to watch though. Jaysus.

Doogie Browser

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 08, 2010, 09:53:44 AM »
Armenia showed last night they are no pushovers

AFS

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 08, 2010, 09:58:21 AM »
If they cant get the ball early to mcgeady (in space) and cant play a faster tempo then its going to be more of the same.

McGeady will be back on the bench as soon as Duff gets over his knock. A fit Hunt is ahead in the pecking order too.

anportmorforjfc

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 08, 2010, 10:17:35 AM »

McGeady will be back on the bench as soon as Duff gets over his knock. A fit Hunt is ahead in the pecking order too.

I would agree with that aswell. He looked good against andorra ffs. All this talk about the player he is/going to be! Overrated imo
Without some goals and some efforts to reach it, no man can live.

Larry Duff

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 08, 2010, 10:22:48 AM »

That's quite sad really. McGeady, who along with Duff is one of the few players with the ability to commit defenders and cause the opposition problems. Neither player is helped by the fact that they get very poor service as the distribution from the defence is crap coupled with the lack of any real passing ability throughout the team. But rather than appeal for a bit more creativity in the team, people are happy enough just to replace him with someone who may well run all day for the team but couldn't trap a bag of cement.

Declan

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 08, 2010, 10:28:49 AM »
but couldn't trap a bag of cement.
:D :D :D

As Georgie said he traps the ball further than I can pass it!!

trileacman

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 08, 2010, 11:14:17 AM »

That scares me. When Ireland have that team out remind me to be several hundred miles from a t.v. somewhere like Antarctica or a remote island. (Rathlin would do.)

lynchbhoy

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Duff has played well for Fulham last season at times, but he hasnt been the same since he left chelsea and had that bad inj.
Hunt is woeful imo. he is a worse loser of the ball than mcgeady is and maybe even a worse crosser!!
If mcgeady cannot be coached then he has to be benched. He needs an end product and if they cant sort him out in Russia, he might be unfixable.