Author Topic: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on France 2016  (Read 484000 times)

Denn Forever

• Any means neccessary
    • View Profile
    • Malcolm x
Re: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on Euro 2012
« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2010, 10:14:16 PM »
Richard Saddler is good in the analysis stakes.  When will get a chance with Giles/Dunphy/Brady. 

He has the understated manner that would mean it would be interesting with Dunphy. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

• View Profile
    • Cootehill Celtic Website
« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2010, 10:18:16 PM »
Richard Saddler is good in the analysis stakes.  When will get a chance with Giles/Dunphy/Brady. 

He has the understated manner that would mean it would be interesting with Dunphy.

Saddler is a straight shooter - have the experience of playing football at a very high level but don't think he was ever mentioned it.  I guess I mean he isn't trying to be OTT and say things just for the sake of it and be controversial
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2010, 11:27:53 PM »
Well pleased with the win. Team ethic has come on leaps and bounds these past 2 years.
First real game for Green, he did as well as Andrews or Whelan did in their early days. If he cuts out the mistakes he will be excellent backup in the squad. Making mistakes is not the norm for Green, Trap puts it down to nerves/anxiety. Trap is coolness personified.
Kilbane just about did enough, he was made to work in defense against a good winger, had just enough pace if he had a 10m start and he didn't get much support. He got forward to support the attack on plenty of occasions and his distribution was sound. KK had a decent enough game.
Imo, on average over the last few years, Doyle has been our top player, since his first real game game for us against Germany in Stuttgart.
Other notable results
France beaten at home by Belarus.
And the humdinger game of the  evening, Portugal 4 Cyprus 4 .

GBXII

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 04, 2010, 12:49:36 PM »
Green is getting away way too softly here, he was absolutely rubbish. A terrible first half followed by a slightly improved second half. Definitely should have been substitued for Gibson early in the second half but I can only assume Trap didn't want to ruin his confidence.

Doyle was by far the stand out player on the pitch, not Lawerence as Kenny C noted. The number 18 for Armenia was very good also though. Good result, not a good performance but understandabe given the weather and the lack of games most of the players have had. Hopefully we'll stick our chances on Tuesday, which I have a feeling we will.  :)

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 04, 2010, 01:26:07 PM »
Brian Cody needs to be manager for the next game because Robbie Keane needs to be dropped and nobody wants to do it.

Dead right, he was disgraceful (again). The rest of the team working like dogs and he was frankly reminiscant of the "goal hanger" in the play ground (except the goal hanger would usually score when the chance came). Though I wouln't drop him just yet. Robbie will no doubt extend his international scoring record in the next game. These are the ones he thrives in.

Doyle was sensational, fair play to him. Like Fahey too. Most of the team did fine but I'm very worried about St Ledger and Kilbane. Accidents waiting to happen the pair of them. Good enough result and fully deserved.

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 04, 2010, 01:44:22 PM »
Robbie Keane disgraceful again!
Get over yourself.
The morons of football punditry.
He has been our outstanding striker for the past 12 years, most probably our all time best striker and still with a few years of top class quality left.

GBXII

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 04, 2010, 03:09:17 PM »
Too right, Robbie was not good yesterday but it is incredible the levels of criticism this guy gets off his own supporters, shows just how ignorant most football fans are. For example, Kevin Doyle may have been brilliant yesterday and he always works harder than any of his teammates but he wouldn't score in month of sundays and Robbie is just so much more talented than Doyle, yet there is never a bad word said about Doyle.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 04, 2010, 03:31:28 PM »
Too right, Robbie was not good yesterday but it is incredible the levels of criticism this guy gets off his own supporters, shows just how ignorant most football fans are. For example, Kevin Doyle may have been brilliant yesterday and he always works harder than any of his teammates but he wouldn't score in month of sundays and Robbie is just so much more talented than Doyle, yet there is never a bad word said about Doyle.

Because he always empties himself.

Sure Liam Brady is more talented than the lot of them - lets stick him in for the next match.  ::)

AFS

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 04, 2010, 03:55:25 PM »
Robbie is just so much more talented than Doyle

Wouldn't agree with that. Keane may still be a better finisher, Doyle is light years ahead in other aspects of forward play. I'd almost say Doyle would be a bigger miss for us than Keane these days.

boojangles

• Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 04, 2010, 03:55:29 PM »
Brian Cody needs to be manager for the next game because Robbie Keane needs to be dropped and nobody wants to do it.

Dead right, he was disgraceful (again). The rest of the team working like dogs and he was frankly reminiscant of the "goal hanger" in the play ground (except the goal hanger would usually score when the chance came). Though I wouln't drop him just yet. Robbie will no doubt extend his international scoring record in the next game. These are the ones he thrives in.
Doyle was sensational, fair play to him. Like Fahey too. Most of the team did fine but I'm very worried about St Ledger and Kilbane. Accidents waiting to happen the pair of them. Good enough result and fully deserved.

Just remind me who scored away to Italy and France in the last campaign???

GBXII

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2010, 04:03:33 PM »
Doyle can only be said to be lightyears ahead of Keane in two areas of his play, work-rate and ability to win the ball in the air. Keane's touch, finishing, off-the-ball movement and passing (especially) are well ahead of Doyles.

Because he always empties himself.

Sure Liam Brady is more talented than the lot of them - lets stick him in for the next match.  ::)

The point is Doyle gets overrated because he works incredibly hard (sometimes without much inteligence) whereas Keane gets underrated because he moans and appears to be a less honest player than Doyle.

Doyle man only be more important to Ireland because every single pass is aimed as it his head and so the responsibility lies with him in providing assists. If Keane doesn't play Ireland don't score, simple as.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 04, 2010, 04:07:46 PM »
Do people honestly think Robbie Keane is a good finisher?

GBXII

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2010, 04:14:45 PM »
He's a good finisher. A level down from world class. Not as good as Torres but better than say, Berbatov, for example.

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 04, 2010, 04:24:28 PM »
Do people honestly think Robbie Keane is a good finisher?
If you have to ask that question, this analysis business is a good bit beyond you.
I can't count the number of times Robbie Keane has dug us out of a hole to live for another day.

An atrocious miss last night. Made amends by good intelligent play to hold the ball for Doyle to lay it off to Fahey.

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 04, 2010, 04:40:26 PM »
Green is getting away way too softly here, he was absolutely rubbish. A terrible first half followed by a slightly improved second half. Definitely should have been substitued for Gibson early in the second half but I can only assume Trap didn't want to ruin his confidence.
Assume all you want but Trap was not shy to substitute Keogh in Italy after 25 minutes. If Trap felt he had to substitute Green he would have done so without the slightest regard for the player's confidence. Dunne made 2 horrific mistakes, Green made 3 or 4, but the rest of his play was adequate for a pressure game in a competitive debut. The only alternative to Green was Gibson and quite frankly Green's effective workrate puts him ahead of Gibson atm, in the Irish set up.