FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Not worth bothering about.
But who knows what happens behind the scenes in the mundane world of devoted apostrophe watchers,  a misspelled word -  a missing apostrophe - an alternate but opposite interpretation to what you intended -  has hit the apostrophe watcher's jackpot. Your post may yet be nominated for the front page of the Apostrophe Times - Sept issue.     Better than sex, or so I'm told.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: passedit on August 12, 2010, 10:49:31 PM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 12, 2010, 05:12:09 PM
Quote from: passedit on August 12, 2010, 02:01:59 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 12, 2010, 12:46:41 PM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 12, 2010, 08:44:15 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on August 11, 2010, 08:28:12 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 11, 2010, 03:20:53 PM
I wouldn't usually be looking in here, but I wanted to know what people think of the national broadcaster referring to the Argentinian national team as "the Argies" in its sports bulletins. It's my understanding that this is a disrespectful term that originated in the British tabloids at the time of the Malvinas war. I certainly don't think you'd hear it on the BBC, just as you wouldn't hear them referring to eye-ties or krauts. But RTÉ's standards of sub-editing and basic competence in the language seem to have sunk so low that they don't even know (or care) what they're saying.

Does RTÉ even have a department that looks after language guidelines and pronunciation or the like? I'd say they definitely don't but for one thing. Everyone on RTÉ seems to have been trained to pronounce the "R" in "RTÉ" as "Arrrrr", which nobody else in the country does, that I know of. My guess is that the old codger who runs language and pronunciation has forgotten everything else except the importance of "Arrrr" and that's all new recruits get taught. And of course he can't be fired or even told what to do because he's a civil servant.

Sorry - I didn't know where this was going when I started.

YOUR RIGHT NO ONE CARES
As long as they make the selves clearly understood . it does not matter how they pronounce words or spell them for that matter. it is the main strength of the english language .
refudiate my point if you must

Evidently so

Brilliant! I'd have missed this classic if someone hadn't sent me a PM about it. It's wonderful how a few sentences of near English can so effectively make a point, even if it's the opposite to the one intended.
I'm very impressed that the apostrophe police has it's own network of informants. It's not a proper police force without snouts touts. Where would you get the budget for this?

You're nicked!!

I know ignorance is no defence in law but you're gonna have to enlighten me?

In your post you used "it's" twice.  One was correct.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Hardy

Quote from: Main Street on August 13, 2010, 12:42:37 AM
But who knows what happens behind the scenes in the mundane world of devoted apostrophe watchers,  a misspelled word -  a missing apostrophe - an alternate but opposite interpretation to what you intended -  has hit the apostrophe watcher's jackpot. Your post may yet be nominated for the front page of the Apostrophe Times - Sept issue.     Better than sex, or so I'm told.   

You should try sex. Then you'll be able to put that one to bed, so to speak.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on August 13, 2010, 12:37:16 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 13, 2010, 12:42:37 AM

You should try sex. Then you'll be able to put that one to bed, so to speak.

Yes but the problem is he is an early riser, so to speak.
MWWSI 2017

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 12, 2010, 09:52:17 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on August 12, 2010, 09:41:02 AM
What's the reasoning for the open end in the Aviva stadium?

Looks a bit silly but I'm sure there's some logical explaination I'm unaware of.

No logical reason - politically (i.e. planning) influential residents who want to see the sun at a particular time of the day.

Jaysus, I don't think you can blame the residents for wanting some sun in their houses Billy, if that stand was 3 tiers high like the rest they might as well move up to the Artic for all the sunlight they'd see. Think I read somewhere that the IRFU have been buying up them houses as they come to market and they will be able modify the stadium if planning permission for that end is ever granted...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

red hander

From the FAI

The Football Association of Ireland can today (August 13) confirm that notification has been received from the SFZ (Slovakia FA) which states that there will be a change of venue for the UEFA Championship, Group B qualifier which will take place on October 12, 2010.

The Slovakian FA, had previously confirmed formally and in writing in that the game would take place in Bratislava but new correspondence received from the SFZ, has now stated that they have changed their mind and want to host the game in the city of Zilina.

In response, the Football Association of Ireland has replied to the SFZ and UEFA on behalf of the Irish fans who have already made travel arrangements for the European Championship qualifier, asking them to maintain their original and formally notified statement that they would play the game in Bratislava.

Total pisser if the Slovakians get their way, have already made all the arrangements for Bratislava and I'm sure there are plenty more in the same boat

Main Street

The Bratislava stadium was planned to be demolished sometime, sounds like they got the go ahead.
The IT reported at the end of July that the Slovak FA had decided anyway to confirm the fixture for Bratislava.
Now they want to change the fixture to an 11,000 stadium way out in the sticks.
There is a 60 day notice needed and we are passed that now, I suppose that's why the FAI can lodge an objection.

I was planning to go, but feck, another leg in the journey, towards the arse end of Slovakia where match tickets would be a premium, is not my bottle of 8% Slovak beer.

DennistheMenace

Did Roy Keane sing the national anthem when he was playing ? Can't seem to find a video on youtube to confirm or deny this but can't remember him singing it.

AFS

Republic of Ireland squad to face Armenia and Andorra:

Goalkeepers

Shay Given, Keiren Westwood, Joe Murphy.

Defenders

John O'Shea, Richard Dunne, Sean St Ledger, Greg Cunningham, Kevin Foley, Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane , Darren O'Dea, Kevin Kilbane.

Midfielders

Glenn Whelan, Darron Gibson, Paul Green, Liam Lawrence, Aiden McGeady, Andy Keogh, Damien Duff, Keith Fahey, Keith Treacy.

Forwards

Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Cillian Sheridan.

No McShane  ;D ;D ;D

No Duff  :( :( :(

Very tricky match in Yerevan on Friday. It's at 4 in the afternoon, which is a bit shit. A lot of the probable first team are either out of favour with their clubs, or struggling with injury at the minute. Not looking like there'll be much on the bench either if things aren't going well. A 1-0 win would be fantastic.

Guessing it'll be something like this:

Given

O'Shea  St. Ledger  Dunne  Kilbane

Lawrence  Green  Whelan  McGeady

Keane  Doyle

Denn Forever

I hope Dunne if fit for Friday.  Though McShane has played centre back before so we're ok there.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0901/ireland.html
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

red hander

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 01, 2010, 03:39:46 PM
I hope Dunne if fit for Friday.  Though McShane has played centre back before so we're ok there.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0901/ireland.html

Is McShane not out injured?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Geoff Tipps

QuoteThough McShane has played centre back before so we're ok there.

Ok and McShane in the same sentence. Very strange  :)

Shamrock Shore

We've every chance tomorrow with the team featured on the poster outside the ground in Algeria: