Author Topic: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on France 2016  (Read 502891 times)

AFS

• View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on Euro 2012
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2010, 10:35:29 PM »
Paul McShane almost looked like a footballer tonight. Yer man Tracey wasn't bad when he came on. Sheridan looked woefully out of his depth, although playing two games in 24 hours can't have helped.

Looking forward to the Euro campaign, it's a bit of a worry that so little is coming through. Very reliant on the auld fellas like Dunne, Given, O'Shea, Keane and Duff. Maybe those lads can maintain their form and fitness for the next two years, but chances are some won't as they push on into their thirties.

gerrykeegan

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2010, 11:02:22 PM »
Just back, have to say it was funny to see bars open not selling drink, all the staff wearing Guinness tops, juat standing around with nothing to do.  Was there drink in the Premium level? Our seats were wet when we got in, We were lower east stand but row U which was I thought far back enough to stay dry. Pain in the hole getting out of it. Very slow
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Declan

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2010, 07:57:30 AM »
Fantastic stadium alright and it was good to be there on such an occasion. We were in the "small" end behind the goal and had no problems getting in or out - very easy.
Downsides were the fact that no beer allowed for the plebs - brother in law in the Premier said they were open but when I enquired from the young lassie I was told Uefa don't allow it!! - Gently told her that this was BS and asked to see the supervisor but no luck. Also heard from lads in the East stand who found it very crowded getting out.
Also what is it with traffic management in the city. I had to use the car last night and was in Phibsboro at 6 but just got in at 7.45 - madness.

Anyway the match panned out pretty much to form. We stood off and admired their neat passing in the first half but they lacked penetration apart from a couple of moments of genius from Messi - Great to watch him.
Haven't seen the goal again but heard it was offside. Thought Green did OK and Keogh when he came on livened it up a bit but other than that it was standard enough pre-season fare

Barney

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2010, 08:13:37 AM »
Watching this on television it really sums up where we are as a country.

Brand spanking new world class stadium. First game.

We can't sell it out - people don't have the money to pay for such an occasion. I know tickets are dear but the fact that in a country of 4 million there are not enough people that can afford to see the likes of Messi.

Also the lack of atmosphere I think tells us something how we go to these occasions now be it a soccer international, GAA match etc and expect to be entertained. We take things such as the new stadium too easily for granted and the sense of natural fun is gone out of the thing.

I thought tickets would have been like gold dust. If I knew otherwise I would have travelled up.

A Quinn Martin Production

• View Profile
Re: Re: The OFFICIAL FAI Thread.....Roll on Euro 2012
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2010, 08:44:15 AM »
I wouldn't usually be looking in here, but I wanted to know what people think of the national broadcaster referring to the Argentinian national team as "the Argies" in its sports bulletins. It's my understanding that this is a disrespectful term that originated in the British tabloids at the time of the Malvinas war. I certainly don't think you'd hear it on the BBC, just as you wouldn't hear them referring to eye-ties or krauts. But RTÉ's standards of sub-editing and basic competence in the language seem to have sunk so low that they don't even know (or care) what they're saying.

Does RTÉ even have a department that looks after language guidelines and pronunciation or the like? I'd say they definitely don't but for one thing. Everyone on RTÉ seems to have been trained to pronounce the "R" in "RTÉ" as "Arrrrr", which nobody else in the country does, that I know of. My guess is that the old codger who runs language and pronunciation has forgotten everything else except the importance of "Arrrr" and that's all new recruits get taught. And of course he can't be fired or even told what to do because he's a civil servant.

Sorry - I didn't know where this was going when I started.

YOUR RIGHT NO ONE CARES
As long as they make the selves clearly understood . it does not matter how they pronounce words or spell them for that matter. it is the main strength of the english language .
refudiate my point if you must

Evidently so
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2010, 08:46:17 AM »
Can't believe people didn't know you can't be offside from a goal kick. :o  Higuain wasn't offside but Di Maria was.

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2010, 09:01:41 AM »
Can't believe people didn't know you can't be offside from a goal kick. :o  Higuain wasn't offside but Di Maria was.

I didn't know that to be honest. I knew you couldn't be offside from a throw in. I bet Shay Given didn't know that either. He went balubas and was pointing at Higuain

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 12, 2010, 09:19:47 AM »

I didn't know that to be honest. I knew you couldn't be offside from a throw in. I bet Shay Given didn't know that either. He went balubas and was pointing at Higuain

Agreed I don't think Given knew this...which is shocking.  After the World Cup I was close to giving up on soccer, this and the hype in England over the "retirement" of Beckham has pushed me closer to the edge

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2010, 09:29:57 AM »

Agreed I don't think Given knew this...which is shocking.  After the World Cup I was close to giving up on soccer, this and the hype in England over the "retirement" of Beckham has pushed me closer to the edge

Janey that's a big reaction :D

johnneycool

« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2010, 09:41:02 AM »
What's the reasoning for the open end in the Aviva stadium?

Looks a bit silly but I'm sure there's some logical explaination I'm unaware of.

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 12, 2010, 09:51:37 AM »

You cant be offside if you receive the ball directly from a goalkick.

BUT THE BALL WAS PASSED (by the receiver) TO THE GOALSCORER WHO WAS IN AN OFFSIDE POSITION.

Billys Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2010, 09:52:17 AM »
What's the reasoning for the open end in the Aviva stadium?

Looks a bit silly but I'm sure there's some logical explaination I'm unaware of.

No logical reason - politically (i.e. planning) influential residents who want to see the sun at a particular time of the day.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2010, 09:59:53 AM »

BUT THE BALL WAS PASSED (by the receiver) TO THE GOALSCORER WHO WAS IN AN OFFSIDE POSITION.

See my post at 8:46

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2010, 10:08:02 AM »

Yes we know that Main Street.

But Shay Given's protests, in my opinion, were because of Higuain, that's what he was pointing at. Di Maria wasn't an obvious offside, certainly from Given's angle.

I didn't know the rule. I admit, until Razor told us.

Doogie Browser

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2010, 11:02:15 AM »
Who does Keith Treacy play for?  Looked the part last night in the 2nd half.