Tyrone v Derry 1995 USF - just got a copy!

Started by under the bar, November 11, 2008, 09:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bensars

With the greatst respect rrhf, you judgement is tainted by the fact that Tyrone have won 3 titles in recent years. Pre any all ireland senior success it was widely accepted that the team in 95 wasnt good enough. Too many weakness, one man band etc etc.  Now with a little success we are getting the what ifs, maybes and  so on.  IMHO they werent good enough. You talk about self belief and luck, however i dont think anyteam has won an all ireland that hadnt that self belief.  No disrespect to any of those on it, as a package , i dont think they were strong enough !  

As for the Meath game, it provided a lesson that still hasnt been forgotten. Peter Canavan mentioned this in the aftermath of the 2003 victory. To paraphrase it was along the lines of , it showed what was needed to win and never again would they allow themselves to be walked over in the fashion they had been.

rrhf

Thanks Bensars but between 95/96 Tyrone teams were coming on the back of all 3 ireland winners and 4 years of wins from the same province.  Leinster football teams  were put to the sword in 3 of them 4 finals.  Dublin football couldnt cope with the Ulster teams.  It was to be Tyrones turn and that Dublin team were on their last legs.  Undoubtedly you dont win a sam if you dont deserve it but Tyrone were a much better outfit in 95/96 then they were ever given credit for, beating a Galway team that went on to win 2 ais in the semifinal in 95 too.  Maybe my point is therte were no great teams at that stage and Tyrone were as close as any and should have won one anyway in a fairly average era.    By your logic that Dublin team had consistently proved they were not good enough and yet the still took one home with them, even though they proved they were done when falling out of their provincial setries the next year to a Meath team brimming with youthful exuberance and cold calulating mature cynicism.   

Will Hunting

Quote from: rrhf on December 18, 2008, 08:43:26 AM
3) Incidently a youthfull Mark Sidebottom does the round up of games describing the Kerry tipp game as Tipp travelled hoping to cause an upset until they were hit by 5 first half goals.  Was that how low  the once mighty kingdom had fallen during this period that Tipp were planning to beat them. It made me think when the kerry golden years finished in 1986, men like sean Cavanagh were 2 or 3.  When the Kerry men talk of neaveaux riche I think listen to them - the old has beens.  They would need to send up a few videos of their golden years to remind some of these upstarts of Tyrone players what tradition they should be afraid of.  Please try and get the videos converted to DVD for a modern audience if possible and it might bear fuller fruits than in recent years.  

Without dismissing the facetious nature of your comment regarding Kerry, they have won 4 All-Irelands in this very decade. They're probably available on blu-ray!

rrhf

No but in the golden years they werent really challenged at any time ie very few stood up to them.  Nowadays when they face a decent challenge theres a case of golden tears and a stampede to change the rules. 

SidelineKick

Quote from: rrhf on December 18, 2008, 10:25:32 AM
Next you'll be telling me the Lawns were twins and the Devlins werent.  ;)
If Paul Donnelly had played, if Adie Cush hadnt been fallen on in training by Mc Callan, if Canavan hadnt slipped, that team would have made the breakthrough.  They had some tremendous performances pre 96 Meath game.  Donegal in Breffni were walloped, Down in Clones annhilated, Derry in Clones (2) - massacred, - the first team in 18 years wasnt it to do back to back.  Tyrone paid the penalty for Donegal, Derry and Downs close knit victories over the dubs.  Ulsters quota of  luck had been used up by the predessors.  I always believed of all the victories Derrys against an auld done Cork team was the least memorable but in fairness Tyrone were beaten by an auld done Dublin team, just 2 years later.  In 96 we were arrogant I heard at the time that key men werent applying themselves in training as they should have been, and for the first time in our history we were favourites to win Sam and we only had to survive the football challenge of Meath.  We just about survived never mind the football but that team was finished.  

One of the most stupid things I have ever seen posted.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteO Neill thanks a million really enjoyed it one for the library.
Observations:
1) That Tyrone team in 95 didnt win an all Ireland by a kick of the ball, and whilst their conquerers took all the plaudits  they were slated because of their performance in the final and people said they were a one man band. Now dont get me wrong Canavan that day  deserved to win the 14 inch portable TV more than any. That form of revisionism is incorrect but unfair on the Fergal Logans, Seanie Mc Laughlins, Chris Lawns, Devlin twins, Ronan Mc Garrity, Jody Gormley, Adie Cush, Paul Donnelly etc.  Tyrone took on a Derry team that day hellbent on winning a second sam and took them apart in an awesome display.  Secondly and a point rarely argued.  There were rightly 3 acknowledged great teams in Ulster who beat each other in some epic battles throughout those years.  We must remember Tyrone roundly defeated all 3 of these teams often ending their ambitions of Sam when they were there or therabouts and I mean destroyed them.  So I will go as far as to say that that game could in many eyes have been every bit as good as Down and Derry in Celtic Park only for the fact Tyrone didnt win Sam.  The derry wans always hate this game being brought up, it burns because this was their one that got away, but when they came back to exact revenge and who can forget Barton swearing revenge in the Irish News against the red hands they got their asses handed back to them again in 96.  Ill go as far as to say that that Tyrone team but for a little more self belief in Croke Park could have completed the two in a row of Sams in 95 and also in 96, when unfortunately a lesson in cold blooded Thuggery was served.
2)John Mc Bride used to score great goals, but that was before Frank Mitchels voice broke.
3) Incidently a youthfull Mark Sidebottom does the round up of games describing the Kerry tipp game as Tipp travelled hoping to cause an upset until they were hit by 5 first half goals.  Was that how low  the once mighty kingdom had fallen during this period that Tipp were planning to beat them. It made me think when the kerry golden years finished in 1986, men like sean Cavanagh were 2 or 3.  When the Kerry men talk of neaveaux riche I think listen to them - the old has beens.  They would need to send up a few videos of their golden years to remind some of these upstarts of Tyrone players what tradition they should be afraid of.  Please try and get the videos converted to DVD for a modern audience if possible and it might bear fuller fruits than in recent years.   
4) Also Tohills tips were great I learned how to kick the ball with my foot and to pass the ball using just my fist.  (If i had watched them at the time)
5) Finally I wonder who won the weekend in sundrenched Lanzerote. 

Next who has the video for Tyrone V Armagh 2002 first game. or Tyone V Armagh 1989.
Anyway thanks O Neill again.

blah, blah, blah...god you talk some awful shite rrhf.

ONeill

Did ye see Tohill hold his finger to his lips to the Tyrone crowd after he put Derry 9-8 ahead? It would have been more in his interest to track Gormley who scored the winning point.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

give her dixie

O'Neill, got mine today and have watched it twice.
Cracking game, and what a memory. Still my favourite Tyrone game in past 30 years.
You might have startded something with these old games......
If anyone wants another copy, PM me and i'll send it out.
Once again, thanks a million.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Gabriel_Hurl

I wouldn't mind a copy if there's any more floating around

ONeill

Corresponded with a few who have voiced this idea about trading video/dvds. It'd be a good idea to find out what we have on here.

All I really have is Tyrone v Wexford in 2002 up to 2008. Never really taped games at home.

Matches I'd love to see again:

Tyrone v Armagh 1980, 1984
Tyrone v Down 1986, 1996
Tyrone v Monaghan 1988

give her dixie

I have Tyrone v Cavan, Tyrone v Galway, Tyrone v Kerry, all in '86 championship. Plus, build up and post match reactions from final.
Will try and put them onto 2 DVD's. Galway game not great quality as recorded on fuzzy RTE. Kerry game runs out a few minutes from the end, which is o.k. as we all know what happened!!!!!
I think the trading is a great idea, as we all can have a collection of Tyrone games at home to cherish.
Hope this idea catches on....
PM me and that way I will get motivated to get copying......
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Bensars

Would it not be much easier to set up a thread on rapidshare.

Then anyone can upload any game they may have and more importantly you can download very very quickly. Would save the posting of DVDs.

ONeill

What format do they have to be on rapidshare and how long would it take to upload a 90 min dvd?

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Thanks O'Neill for the DVD which arrived in my wilderness today and was very much appreciated. I have VHS of the championship games against Cavan, Galway and Dublin in 95 and Fermanagh, Down and Meath in 96 if anybody wants those ???.

As for rrhf Id agree the team of 95 was unfairly much maligned. Not in the same class perhaps as the lads that followed but a very good team and still very close to an All-Ireland and built on a superb U-21 team panel. At the time people felt the win over Galway in the semi was unconvincing but that Galway side went on to do great things. Had Tyrone had Cush fit for the final I believe they would have won Sam. The 96 team looked even better and Dooher, Cavlan and an song Cush was a great half forward line but obviouslyfor various reasons it all went wrong in the end. The teams of this decade had a bit more quality but more perhaps more importantly a lot more mental strength, a belief they could and would (and maybe will yet ;)) take on and beat the best in Croke Park.

At least we got it right in the end ;D

Estimator

Quote from: rrhf on December 18, 2008, 11:56:29 AM
Thanks Bensars but between 95/96 Tyrone teams were coming on the back of all 3 ireland winners and 4 years of wins from the same province.  Leinster football teams  were put to the sword in 3 of them 4 finals.  Dublin football couldnt cope with the Ulster teams.  It was to be Tyrones turn and that Dublin team were on their last legs.  Undoubtedly you dont win a sam if you dont deserve it but Tyrone were a much better outfit in 95/96 then they were ever given credit for, beating a Galway team that went on to win 2 ais in the semifinal in 95 too.  Maybe my point is therte were no great teams at that stage and Tyrone were as close as any and should have won one anyway in a fairly average era.    By your logic that Dublin team had consistently proved they were not good enough and yet the still took one home with them, even though they proved they were done when falling out of their provincial setries the next year to a Meath team brimming with youthful exuberance and cold calulating mature cynicism.   

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on December 19, 2008, 01:36:26 AM
Thanks O'Neill for the DVD which arrived in my wilderness today and was very much appreciated. I have VHS of the championship games against Cavan, Galway and Dublin in 95 and Fermanagh, Down and Meath in 96 if anybody wants those ???.

As for rrhf Id agree the team of 95 was unfairly much maligned. Not in the same class perhaps as the lads that followed but a very good team and still very close to an All-Ireland and built on a superb U-21 team panel. At the time people felt the win over Galway in the semi was unconvincing but that Galway side went on to do great things. Had Tyrone had Cush fit for the final I believe they would have won Sam. The 96 team looked even better and Dooher, Cavlan and an song Cush was a great half forward line but obviouslyfor various reasons it all went wrong in the end. The teams of this decade had a bit more quality but more perhaps more importantly a lot more mental strength, a belief they could and would (and maybe will yet ;)) take on and beat the best in Croke Park.

At least we got it right in the end ;D

There was some difference between the Galway side from '95 to that of '98 & '01.  The Galway minor side from '95 contributed many important players to those successes. 
Ulster League Champions 2009