2019 USFC SF Dún na nGall vs Tír Eoghain, Breffni, Saturday 8th June @5pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, May 26, 2019, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Wildweasel74

It a dirty action. Nearly everone agrees. Though that clown angelo tries to bring up ever previous incidents as to lessen the actual offence. Though be the day we get a county manager who makes his player sit out games for conduct like this. Instead of waiting for croke park to react. The so called head stamp accidental.

Angelo

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 10, 2019, 10:19:35 PM
It a dirty action. Nearly everone agrees. Though that clown angelo tries to bring up ever previous incidents as to lessen the actual offence. Though be the day we get a county manager who makes his player sit out games for conduct like this. Instead of waiting for croke park to react. The so called head stamp accidental.

I'm not lessening the action. You do seem to have a problem with balance however.

It was wrong, needless, stupid, trampish and he should get s good ban for it (but the rules say otherwise).

The hysteria is a bit much. McCann deserves the criticism he gets but there are plenty of other players from other counties who get away with worse without any of the scrutiny. Some of them have a longer rapsheet than McCann and play for counties every bit as high profile as Tyrone.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

trueblue1234

Funny I would say it's fairly close to the mark. There's a lack of man markers like we've had in the past in the vein of Ricey, Gormley, hell even a Mickey McGee would be valuable now. Someone who can stick tight to a man and meet every ball coming in to try and make them 50 50 balls.
Our ability to tackle a man running with the ball(Either along side him or facing him) is poor. The amount of half arsed tackles, missed shoulders etc at men running through the defense on Sat was atrocious. Stand up, arms out and take the hit to slow the man down. Turn him back on himself to take the momentum out of the run. (I know it's easier said that done if you have a Michael Murphy charging at you but the guys need to be prepared to put themselves on the line to slow the attack). The likes of Jordan could play football and break at speed but when it came to it, he could take a hit as well.   
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

imtommygunn

Quote from: Angelo on June 11, 2019, 01:07:02 PM

I'm not lessening the action. You do seem to have a problem with balance however.

It was wrong, needless, stupid, trampish and he should get s good ban for it (but the rules say otherwise).

The hysteria is a bit much. McCann deserves the criticism he gets but there are plenty of other players from other counties who get away with worse without any of the scrutiny. Some of them have a longer rapsheet than McCann and play for counties every bit as high profile as Tyrone.

Not that many have a longer rapsheet to be fair. What's that old saying "not his first rodeo".

Angelo

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 11, 2019, 02:19:04 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 11, 2019, 01:07:02 PM

Not that many have a longer rapsheet to be fair. What's that old saying "not his first rodeo".

There'd be quite a few in the current All Ireland Champions.

imtommygunn

I don't think there would be at all. I'm not from either place.

Keyser soze

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 11, 2019, 01:18:23 PM
Funny I would say it's fairly close to the mark. There's a lack of man markers like we've had in the past in the vein of Ricey, Gormley, hell even a Mickey McGee would be valuable now. Someone who can stick tight to a man and meet every ball coming in to try and make them 50 50 balls.
Our ability to tackle a man running with the ball(Either along side him or facing him) is poor. The amount of half arsed tackles, missed shoulders etc at men running through the defense on Sat was atrocious. Stand up, arms out and take the hit to slow the man down. Turn him back on himself to take the momentum out of the run. (I know it's easier said that done if you have a Michael Murphy charging at you but the guys need to be prepared to put themselves on the line to slow the attack). The likes of Jordan could play football and break at speed but when it came to it, he could take a hit as well.   

Hadda laugh at Brolly on saturday night, prior to the game he was talking about Mickey belatedly releasing all these quality individual players from the straightjacket which had held them back form realising their potential over the years. By half time he was criticizing him for not having  a defensive enough set up.

Angelo

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 11, 2019, 02:47:11 PM

You probably don't think so because they are rarely highlighted.

In Jim Gavin's tenure, Dublin have been involved in:

2 biting allegations ( O'Brien and O'Gara)
A mass brawl behind a closed door challenge match (Armagh)
2 gouging incidents (O'Gara and McMahon)
2 incidents of simulation to get a player sent off (Cooper on McManus, McMahon on O'Shea)
Cooper leaving his foot in Diarmuid O'Connor was as malicious an act I've seen on a football field in years too
Connolly shoving a match official
Various other incidents of cynically closing matches out by instigating mini brawls

Among other indiscretions.

I don't think Dublin are a particularly dirty team but they are well equipped in the dark arts, thuggery and violence. Most of these matters are generally glossed over though and never held against them.

But the inconsistent reporting and narrative around different teams engaging in similar acts does tend to have an impact on the way teams are portrayed.

From a Tyrone perspective if you look at how we are perceived and how McCann has been vilified, there may be merit to it. When you look at how we are perceived and McCann is portrayed in relation to the actions of other counties and their players then we are certainly entitled to draw grievances.

Would anyone ever suggest Jim Gavin sends his players out to bite, dive, and gouge their opponents? Would anyone suggest he sends his players out to physically interfere with match officials?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 11, 2019, 02:52:02 PM

Hadda laugh at Brolly on saturday night, prior to the game he was talking about Mickey belatedly releasing all these quality individual players from the straightjacket which had held them back form realising their potential over the years. By half time he was criticizing him for not having  a defensive enough set up.

Joanne Cantwell missed a trick not pulling him up on it, I didn't see it but I heard he was slating Galway prior to the match for their negative tactics/system which is the same system Donegal used to dismantle Tyrone.

Angelo

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 11, 2019, 03:46:53 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on June 11, 2019, 02:52:02 PM

Joanne Cantwell missed a trick not pulling him up on it, I didn't see it but I heard he was slating Galway prior to the match for their negative tactics/system which is the same system Donegal used to dismantle Tyrone.

There's some nonsense spouted about how certain counties are being held back by management. Galway have came on leaps and bounds under Walsh. They owe that to a system which masks their weaknesses. Tyrone's weaknesses were borne out on Saturday with the tactics they played. A similar fate would befall Galway were they to listen to Brolly and co.

Brolly's constant barbs at Fermanagh are utterly disrespectful and nasty. I think Fermanagh have done extremely well in that time and they play in a way that allows them compete to their optimum level.

Brolly and O'Rourke just want lesser sides to go out and be a punching bag for the likes of Kerry and Dublin.

There's no onus on a team to entertain, it's competitive sport and teams have a right to play whatever way they want and feels gives them the best basis to succeed.

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on June 11, 2019, 03:40:16 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 11, 2019, 02:47:11 PM

You probably don't think so because they are rarely highlighted.

In Jim Gavin's tenure, Dublin have been involved in:

2 biting allegations ( O'Brien and O'Gara)
A mass brawl behind a closed door challenge match (Armagh)
2 gouging incidents (O'Gara and McMahon)
2 incidents of simulation to get a player sent off (Cooper on McManus, McMahon on O'Shea)
Cooper leaving his foot in Diarmuid O'Connor was as malicious an act I've seen on a football field in years too
Connolly shoving a match official
Various other incidents of cynically closing matches out by instigating mini brawls

Among other indiscretions.

I don't think Dublin are a particularly dirty team but they are well equipped in the dark arts, thuggery and violence. Most of these matters are generally glossed over though and never held against them.

But the inconsistent reporting and narrative around different teams engaging in similar acts does tend to have an impact on the way teams are portrayed.

From a Tyrone perspective if you look at how we are perceived and how McCann has been vilified, there may be merit to it. When you look at how we are perceived and McCann is portrayed in relation to the actions of other counties and their players then we are certainly entitled to draw grievances.

Would anyone ever suggest Jim Gavin sends his players out to bite, dive, and gouge their opponents? Would anyone suggest he sends his players out to physically interfere with match officials?

Connolly hardly shoved the match official and there was a hell of a lot of condemnation of him especially from the Sunday game.

Owen Brannigan

Wouldn't it be great if some posters could just accept their player was wrong any time one of them committed an unacceptable act and then did not engage in endless, mind numbing whataboutery.

We are all intelligent enough to see every incident for what it is without acres of any thread taken up with quote after quote of attempted justification of the unjustifiable and endless attempts at point scoring or ad hominem attacks.