Maigh Eo Vs Corcaigh, 29ú Aibreáin 2012 @ 1600, Pairc an Chrocaigh

Started by macdanger2, April 23, 2012, 05:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

moysider

I suppose it ll be Friday or Saturday before we know a team for this one.

The word in the fields is that SOS took a full part in training in the Algarve and the brother could be right for the championship. McGarrity played for the club at the weekend so we could have a bit of choice in a few months. But for Sunday we are goin to be a bit stretched. But a backs- to -the -wall job like this is maybe not a bad thing right now. This league has been a very worthwhile character building exercise for us so far. Hopefully it will stand to us later.

macdanger2

It'll be a big test for Mayo - the players who have returned for Cork since last August will be a huge boost for them - especially O'Neill.

With the players they have, I reckon Cork would win the AI handy enough if they cut out half the handpassing. If we can put pressure on the player in possession, close them down and slow down the play, we should do ok.

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 24, 2012, 10:31:52 PM
It'll be a big test for Mayo - the players who have returned for Cork since last August will be a huge boost for them - especially O'Neill.

With the players they have, I reckon Cork would win the AI handy enough if they cut out half the handpassing. If we can put pressure on the player in possession, close them down and slow down the play, we should do ok.

I don't see anyone winning the AI handy this year, way too many teams that'll fancy beating the top three this year for a team to be able to coast.

Sam2011

Seamus and Freeman are in the mix for Sunday. Great to hear McGarrity back playing with the club, I think he could be the man to go with Aiden in the middle.
The team will be named after training tomorrow night I think.

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on April 24, 2012, 10:36:17 PM
I don't see anyone winning the AI handy this year, way too many teams that'll fancy beating the top three this year for a team to be able to coast.

IF.............Big if though, can't see Counihan changing his style now though. I think if they played a bit more expansively, they have the players to beat Dublin / Kerry (perhaps not the head though) / AN Other

moysider

It s not going to be handy. Cork and Kerry will have 2 murderous encounters with the second meeting deciding the championship.

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 24, 2012, 10:51:51 PM

IF.............Big if though, can't see Counihan changing his style now though. I think if they played a bit more expansively, they have the players to beat Dublin / Kerry (perhaps not the head though) / AN Other

Alot of the key players on the current Cork team are getting on too, the younger players are still pretty good but the idea of Cork being close to unbeatable ended on August bank holiday weekend last year, and with that fear evaporating I'd be wary that teams like Kildare and Tyrone (Mayo have already demonstrated they can more than keep up with them) could clock them. It's set up for a very interesting summer.

One of these years some team is going to break through the glass ceiling, the AI winners have been very settled for the last decade and Dublin's win will probably prove to be a bell-weather for Cork and Kerry going forward - if they're going to maintain their positions at the top over the next 3-4 years their teams will be drastically over-hauled.

eviemonkey

Cork's overall form in the League was patchy enough, mystifyingly poor in stages (second half v Donegal, first half v Kerry) but the team have looked better since rallying after half time to beat Sunday's opponents in Castlebar.

The move of Kerrigan to centre-forward has worked well over the last couple of games. Kelly normally plays in that position and is a lovely, cerebral player but his current form is poor and he does have a tendency to take too much out of the ball and thus slowing up the attack. Kerrigan is a lot more direct, can scare most markers with his pace but also has a good distribution off either foot. Sunday's game will surely come too soon for Goulding's return so the Walsh experiment at 14 should continue for another game.

Would expect Mayo to target Cork's corner-backs who are potential weak-links, more so if one or other is isolated against a two-man Mayo full-forward line with space to operate in. Moran was the key player in last year's Championship encounter, not sure if Mayo will start him at full-forward or further out but he probably drift on occasion and look to pull Shields out of position and create the openings for the inside forwards.

Hard enough game to call. Mayo can probably extract more positives from winning a League title, given their status as a developing team on an upward curve, although the same could have been said about Dublin last year and they probably ended up learning more from a tight defeat that they might have done if they held on.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: moysider on April 24, 2012, 11:05:08 PM

It s not going to be handy. Cork and Kerry will have 2 murderous encounters with the second meeting deciding the championship.

Perhaps, but with decent outits in Dublin, Mayo, Tyrone, Kildare, Donegal, Down in their way there is plenty of opportunities for them to get caught out.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

From the Bunker

o
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 25, 2012, 08:50:01 AM

Perhaps, but with decent outits in Dublin, Mayo, Tyrone, Kildare, Donegal, Down in their way there is plenty of opportunities for them to get caught out.

What's this thng with Kildare, they have proven nothing yet. No Provincial Title under McGeeney, No AI Final under McGeeney,
No Division One Football under McGeeney, No big scalps under McGeeney.

sans pessimism

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 25, 2012, 09:45:39 AM

What's this thng with Kildare, they have proven nothing yet. No Provincial Title under McGeeney, No AI Final under McGeeney,
agree
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Syferus

o

It doesn't take a genius to see they're there or there abouts. They were a square ball from an AI final, they are a D1 team. The backlash against Kildare has went way too far, now people are trying to under-rate them because they think others are over-rating them.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on April 25, 2012, 10:38:21 AM
o

It doesn't take a genius to see they're there or there abouts. They were a square ball from an AI final, they are a D1 team. The backlash against Kildare has went way too far, now people are trying to under-rate them because they think others are over-rating them.

For me Kildare are in the same bracket as Meath, Except Meath have won a Leinster, Meath have beaten Dublin in Championship, have got to a couple of AI Semi finals. Sorry, But Kildare just have not earned it yet!

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 25, 2012, 11:00:37 AM
Quote from: Syferus on April 25, 2012, 10:38:21 AM
o

For me Kildare are in the same bracket as Meath, Except Meath have won a Leinster, Meath have beaten Dublin in Championship, have got to a couple of AI Semi finals. Sorry, But Kildare just have not earned it yet!

They've certainly earnt it, they've been one of the most consistently successful and competitive teams in the championship for verging on half a decade. We're talking about teams in the chasing pack behind the last three AI winners, Kerry, Cork and Dublin. It's clear as day that those teams are Mayo, Tyrone, Kildare and Donegal, likely in that order.