Connacht senior football championship 2016

Started by giveballaghback, April 27, 2016, 04:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveballaghback

Sunday next is the throw in for this years senior football championship, will Mayo lose their crown, if so who will topple them? not a word so far in any paper or forum about Galway, the Rossie lovers have moved on after our Kerry mauling, none of the rest are likely champs or are they?
Time to start the insults.

GalwayBayBoy

I doubt you'll be hearing much from us anyway. I don't think anyone feels we're strong enough yet to beat Mayo up in Castlebar. Even if Mayo are slightly in decline and even that's debatable. It'll be one game and into the qualifiers.

moysider

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 27, 2016, 07:07:53 PM
I doubt you'll be hearing much from us anyway. I don't think anyone feels we're strong enough yet to beat Mayo up in Castlebar. Even if Mayo are slightly in decline and even that's debatable. It'll be one game and into the qualifiers.

I know Mayo just did enough to stay in Div.1. Which was a good result under the circumstances. But surely Galway needed to get out of Div.2. I know championship is different but Walsh and Galway must have targeted promotion. Mayo would have only been interested in survival. and after a poor start improved and did enough.

seafoid

I think Galway are better than their league so should narrow the gap with Mayo to maybe 5 points.
Mayo I wish would just win the effin thing and escape from the prison of failure. Ros will make it interesting.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Lar Naparka

Quote from: seafoid on April 28, 2016, 07:46:14 AM
I think Galway are better than their league so should narrow the gap with Mayo to maybe 5 points.
Mayo I wish would just win the effin thing and escape from the prison of failure. Ros will make it interesting.
Maybe it's Mayo's to lose but I I'd fear the heron chokers more than the sheep shaggers any day. I'm never happy until Galway are not only bet but the crowd's gone home amd the gates are shut. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Maroon Manc

I've no optimism and probably wouldn't come over for it only for the wife, getting beat by Mayo has become far too much of regular occurrence.

I had far much more hope this time last year but haven't seen anything this year to suggest we've closed the gap, if anything its probably widened.

Unlaoised

LAOIS ABÚ

mouview

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 28, 2016, 11:47:18 AM
I've no optimism and probably wouldn't come over for it only for the wife, getting beat by Mayo has become far too much of regular occurrence.

I had far much more hope this time last year but haven't seen anything this year to suggest we've closed the gap, if anything its probably widened.

I agree, as per my earlier postings on this forum. Think Galway have regressed incrementally over the past 2-3 years and a double-digit beating from Mayo is easily the most likely outcome. Jim Carney last week in the Herald (and referenced by his protege Breheny this week in the Indo.) cannot see otherwise and is equally downbeat about Galway's chances; like myself, claimed that only Shane Walsh would get on the Mayo team. Whatever you may think about him, Jim is usually fairly accurate and pragmatic.

Galway are a bit like MU and the Irish football team, a couple of good results in a row, and you think they've finally tuned a corner and are improving. However, when they meet a couple of better teams and lose (or draw) a few on the bounce, you just realise there's nothing there and they're going nowhere.

sinabhuil

I feel with Galway that the only thing they lack is belief. The amount of players that don't make themselves available is unreal. I do believe the talent is there. It will take a strong personality with a 3 year plan which would include Horan style discipline and would include strength and conditioning, outside coaches including tackling coaching and huge support from the county board. Best of luck but not too much!!

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Jim Carney is not expecting much anyway.

So far this year the award for 'Very Straight Talking' goes to the Tuam Herald and Jim Carney, a man who, as well as covering the fortunes of Galway footballers for decades, served as a selector for a period in the 1980s.

Suffice to say, the former Sunday Game host is not exactly enthused by maroon-and-white prospects this year, even suggesting that the Connacht semi-final "might be as one-sided as 2013 which finished Mayo 4-16 Galway 0-11."

He reckons that Shane Walsh is the only Galway player who would get on the Mayo team at present and is scathing over what he sees as apathy in his native county after the failure to escape from Division 2.

"Maybe nobody cares any more that a county with such a proud tradition of competing at the highest level won only two of their seven games, Nowadays, drawing with Fermanagh, Armagh (a Div 3 team next year) and Meath appears to be acceptable.

"Losing to Cavan in the final round? We heard only about the 'positives' after the game? Has nobody the courage to say it like it is? There are no positives when you lose," wrote Carney.

The heading on his piece? 'Aidan O'Shea will turn the Connacht championship into a one-horse race.'

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 28, 2016, 01:22:13 PM

So far this year the award for 'Very Straight Talking' goes to the Tuam Herald and Jim Carney, a man who, as well as covering the fortunes of Galway footballers for decades, served as a selector for a period in the 1980s.

Suffice to say, the former Sunday Game host is not exactly enthused by maroon-and-white prospects this year, even suggesting that the Connacht semi-final "might be as one-sided as 2013 which finished Mayo 4-16 Galway 0-11."

He reckons that Shane Walsh is the only Galway player who would get on the Mayo team at present and is scathing over what he sees as apathy in his native county after the failure to escape from Division 2.

"Maybe nobody cares any more that a county with such a proud tradition of competing at the highest level won only two of their seven games, Nowadays, drawing with Fermanagh, Armagh (a Div 3 team next year) and Meath appears to be acceptable.

"Losing to Cavan in the final round? We heard only about the 'positives' after the game? Has nobody the courage to say it like it is? There are no positives when you lose," wrote Carney.

The heading on his piece? 'Aidan O'Shea will turn the Connacht championship into a one-horse race.'

The growth of Connacht rugby hasn't helped Galway's situation. Or the hurling heads' distaste for football. Maybe one of the most divided counties in the GAA.

weareros

Except if they stick him in at full-forward, send crap ball into him, and the horse marketing him does more damage down at the other end of the field.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Syferus on April 28, 2016, 01:27:57 PM

The growth of Connacht rugby hasn't helped Galway's situation. Or the hurling heads' distaste for football. Maybe one of the most divided counties in the GAA.
Still more football clubs in Galway than Roscommon and Sligo combined.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on April 28, 2016, 01:27:57 PM

Hurling and football never really mix, syf. The parishes are segregated. Now you have one or 2 footballers from hurling parishes eg Flynn but hurling is not a factor.
The football team these days is biased towards city and Connemara players with very few from the 9 medal  :o heartland of Dunmore, Tuam etc. That would be a concern.
But they could turn around and beat Mayo on their day.   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU