Gerry O Malley one of Roscommons greatest..

Started by giveballaghback, January 05, 2016, 02:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveballaghback

Gerry O Malley one of the great footballers of his or any other era passed to his eternal reward today.
Every Rossie of my own vintage will have fond memories of the great Gerry, he was a leader on and off the field.
He had many wonderful days in the primrose and blue but none better than the 1962 Connacht final v Galway in Mchale Park, that was the day of the "broken crossbar", Galway were leading by 5 points when Aiden Brady broke the crossbar with about 10 minutes to go, there was about a 15 minute interval while replacing the bar, Ros reshuffled their team and O Malley single handedly grabbed the game by the scruff leading Roscommon to what was a legendary victory.
There were many other great days in the Ros  jersey, he was  one of our greatest ever leaders, he will be remembered fondly where ever football is discussed .
He will be missed in Roscommon and beyond but mostly by his family and large circle of friends. R.I.P.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: giveballaghback on January 05, 2016, 02:25:53 PM
Gerry O Malley one of the great footballers of his or any other era passed to his eternal reward today.
Every Rossie of my own vintage will have fond memories of the great Gerry, he was a leader on and off the field.
He had many wonderful days in the primrose and blue but none better than the 1962 Connacht final v Galway in Mchale Park, that was the day of the "broken crossbar", Galway were leading by 5 points when Aiden Brady broke the crossbar with about 10 minutes to go, there was about a 15 minute interval while replacing the bar, Ros reshuffled their team and O Malley single handedly grabbed the game by the scruff leading Roscommon to what was a legendary victory.
There were many other great days in the Ros  jersey, he was  one of our greatest ever leaders, he will be remembered fondly where ever football is discussed .
He will be missed in Roscommon and beyond but mostly by his family and large circle of friends. R.I.P.
An apt tribute, GBB and everything you say is true.
Gerry was one of my childhood heroes and his exploits in the Connacht jersey had me and every other kid for miles around racing out to our "football" field after each game was broadcast where rows frequently broke out as so many  of us wanted to be Gerry O'Malley.
Aidan Brady got honourable mention also as did the Feeley twins, Don and Des but Gerry was put on a par with John Morley and Mick Ruane  and, believe me, that was the height of praise.

A great player, sportsman and a role model for all youngsters who followed Roscommon and Connacht football.
Ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anam.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AZOffaly

RIP. Before my time, but one of the great Roscommon names. Sympathies to his family, friends and the GAA extended family in Ros.

moysider

RIP. Those of us that never saw him play, respect his reputation and standing in the game. He's up there with the best anywhere.

seafoid

He'll be up there playing football with Dermot Earley
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rosnarun

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Shrewdness

Nice tributes from posters above, to a man who proved that you don't necessarily have to have a pocketful of All Ireland medals to be regarded as a true legend of the game.

Syferus

Pity the national papers could only manage a corner of a page for such a great player. Same bracket as Sean Flanagan, Sean Purcell, the best there ever have been from Connacht. Fitting he'll be returning to Brideswell for his final resting place.

larryin89

RIP.

Before my time but I don't believe you have to have seen the greats to know they were greats,  a Gaelic football legend for sure.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Quote from: Shrewdness on January 06, 2016, 07:37:47 PM
Nice tributes from posters above, to a man who proved that you don't necessarily have to have a pocketful of All Ireland medals to be regarded as a true legend of the game.
All Ireland medals show that you had a lot of good players around you.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ashman

Rip : a lot of older boys speak awful highly of the man .

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

whitey

Michael Commins spoke very highly of him in the Late Show last night

mad tan

Heard a song about him years ago was looking for it on U tube since he died but can't find it. It was called the Pride of Kiltoom and Roscommon. Any one ever here it ?

Shrewdness

Mad Tan, i'm not familiar with that song. Your best bet would be to contact Michael Commins in Mid West Radio, or someone of similar knowledge in Shannonside Radio.