Time for U2 to shuffle off before the corpse smells?

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 10, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: BennyCake on March 10, 2014, 07:03:09 PM
Bingo, Bono is massive for Ireland? How? Bono is massive for himself and U2. That's all.

Bono sits at the high table these days, and pontificates about this, that and the other. The elitists have Bono in their back pocket and know how to pull the strings. Make poverty history and this bollix, it will never happen because it's all politics. Africa is still starving 30 years after Live Aid. Why? Politics. Bono isn't so stupid that he thinks he can sort all that out. He's found what he was looking for as his own song goes, and that's to feel self-important and hang around with the big boys.

Benny, you've your mind made up and I have neither the will nor the desire to try and change it.

If it's all politics, and going by the above everything is, sure let them starve and soon enough the problem will go away. Let the bad Aids wipe them out help to speed up the process. And sure we'll all sleep well in our beds tonight.

Rock n Roll!

michaelg

Quote from: whiskeysteve on March 10, 2014, 04:07:18 PM
Ponitificating on economics on that stage, on behalf of the Irish, is pure hubris for a multi multi millionaire rock singer. You ask the obvious indignant question 'who the f**k do you think you are?"

But I can ignore all that listening to something like 'Bad' when U2 is also about the edge, larry, adam, the music. Plus for all Bonos faults he is/was a brilliant singer - no one else can do that crescendo at the end of Bad like that.

I think, on the balance, the music of the band really gets obscured nowadays by personal gipes with Bono. I would lean more to ignoring him than getting het up and looking him to f**k off.

Unfortunately, that extends to being apathetic to ever seeing them live again. The last infliction of lecturing between the songs you are paying to see was enough.

Turning point for me on Bono from fan to apathy was hearing him waxing lyrical on the troubles at Slane in 2001 (no more IRAaaaa, no more UDAaaaaa, no more British Armyyyyy)... aye things would be simple if you were in charge u ballroot... conflicts are easy to resolve when you can preach populist, idealistic shite from the ivory rock tower.

But on the balance I love listening to U2 and always will. Even stuff from 10 years ago never mind the 80s heyday.

P.S. South Park nailed Bono as well as anything or anyone in recent years. A prancing prat.
I was at the same gig.  Worse still was the rambling shite about World Debt.  Each of the eight odd thousand punters had paid about 50 quid each to be there.  As I thought at the time, f**k up, play a few tunes and donate the £4,000,000 worth of revenue from ticket sales, and everyone's a winner.

thejuice

In fairness they have some good songs but I haven't paid heed to a word he ever said beyond it. I'm sure he's meant well in his endevours but I you'd think he got rubbing shoulders with GWB he would have got to know how the world works and realised he as a musician, much like any of us, cant do much about it.

I was too young for when they truly "mattered" as a band. The thing is there is nothing wrong with bands keeping it going so long as they deliver live and play the hits. I love AC/DC and to be fair their albums have been from good to bad to awful since 1981 BUT live they are still hands down untouchable.

The thing is, the music industry  has changed a lot. It's unlikely that new rock bands will get back to filling stadiums unless they are really marketable. The industry wont take a chance on anything else. Given the avenues that are open to people nowadays with iTunes, Spotify and youtube, it baffles me that people find themselves being "forced to listen to artist x y or z". If you really don't like pop music, why would you find yourself watching and worrying about Louis or Linda on the Voice or X Factor or whatever.

There is a whole world of music out there at your finger tips, there could be some good original local artists down your street dying to be heard.

Now go out and find them, you'll be glad the day you do. I know I am.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

It's tick tock for U2 really. Bono is quite bad at this stage. You'd have to say that money wise he still hasn't found what he is looking for- i.e. enough money.  Maybe it's vertigo.  Is he still wide awake? Maybe he's not sleeping. 
If I were him I would let it go.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: Bingo on March 10, 2014, 07:23:53 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on March 10, 2014, 07:03:09 PM
Bingo, Bono is massive for Ireland? How? Bono is massive for himself and U2. That's all.

Bono sits at the high table these days, and pontificates about this, that and the other. The elitists have Bono in their back pocket and know how to pull the strings. Make poverty history and this bollix, it will never happen because it's all politics. Africa is still starving 30 years after Live Aid. Why? Politics. Bono isn't so stupid that he thinks he can sort all that out. He's found what he was looking for as his own song goes, and that's to feel self-important and hang around with the big boys.

Benny, you've your mind made up and I have neither the will nor the desire to try and change it.

If it's all politics, and going by the above everything is, sure let them starve and soon enough the problem will go away. Let the bad Aids wipe them out help to speed up the process. And sure we'll all sleep well in our beds tonight.

Rock n Roll!

That's the general idea.

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on March 10, 2014, 07:59:17 PM
It's tick tock for U2 really. Bono is quite bad at this stage. You'd have to say that money wise he still hasn't found what he is looking for- i.e. enough money.  Maybe it's vertigo.  Is he still wide awake? Maybe he's not sleeping. 

Bad.
MWWSI 2017

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: muppet on March 10, 2014, 05:45:09 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 10, 2014, 04:46:21 PM
I think the thesis is overly harsh on U2 and Bono in particular. Music aside I think they've done a lot of good over the years. Bono's "friendships" with some pretty distasteful characters like Blair, Bush etc don't sit easy with me but I suppose if you just abuse those fcukers you won't get the mto do anything constructive. I think he has managed to get them to do some good things they probably wouldn't have done without his input so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Overall though for me the music is what it's all about. Some of the songs mentioned and others are just as magical, even more so possibly, for me when I listen to them today. I think their powers are on the wane definitely but there's still the hope if they're writing that another nugget will appear.

Much prefer to have Bono spouting than the likes of Louis and Linda telling us what to like.

Agree with Seanie on all of this.

Plus for Irish people to whinge about paying tax is beyond hypocritical. We help most of the world's mega-companies avoid paying tax, why the f*ck would a mega-organisation voluntarily like U2 pay more than they have to? A charity wouldn't pay more tax than they had to.

Finally, yes I find Bono's content struggle for the next great rock cliché all a bit tired now. But there are far greater (or should that be lesser) things to get offended by.

U2 as a mega corporation is going to try to avoid paying tax, of course.  But then it's a bit much for Bono to bang on about how governments should give more money to Africa (or whatever).  Exactly where does he think governments get their money in the first place?

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on March 10, 2014, 08:10:44 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 10, 2014, 07:59:17 PM

Bad.
War
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on March 10, 2014, 08:24:25 PM
I think the thesis is overly harsh on U2 and Bono in particular. Music aside I think they've done a lot of good over the years. Bono's "friendships" with some pretty distasteful characters like Blair, Bush etc don't sit easy with me but I suppose if you just abuse those fcukers you won't get the mto do anything constructive. I think he has managed to get them to do some good things they probably wouldn't have done without his input so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Overall though for me the music is what it's all about. Some of the songs mentioned and others are just as magical, even more so possibly, for me when I listen to them today. I think their powers are on the wane definitely but there's still the hope if they're writing that another nugget will appear.

Much prefer to have Bono spouting than the likes of Louis and Linda telling us what to like.

Plus for Irish people to whinge about paying tax is beyond hypocritical. We help most of the world's mega-companies avoid paying tax, why the f*ck would a mega-organisation voluntarily like U2 pay more than they have to? A charity wouldn't pay more tax than they had to.

Finally, yes I find Bono's content struggle for the next great rock cliché all a bit tired now. But there are far greater (or should that be lesser) things to get offended by.

U2 as a mega corporation is going to try to avoid paying tax, of course.  But then it's a bit much for Bono to bang on about how governments should give more money to Africa (or whatever).  Exactly where does he think governments get their money in the first place?

They borrow it from the banks.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

He also ponces round with the latest must have devices like iPhones while his pals at Apple revel in the publicity and shaft the world through tax evasion

muppet

Most of them took it from countries in places such as Africa.
MWWSI 2017

BarryBreensBandage

I remember hearing John O'Shea from GOAL talk about Bono and the public persona he had.

He made the point that, realistically, if there was an irish issue regarding charity/poverty/recession or whatever, there were very few people in Ireland that would command global attention. He mentioned Roy Keane would be one that would get attention across Europe, but Bono becoming involved ensured that the world media attention was shone on it.

He also mentioned that both Keane and Bono had never once refused to help his charitable causes when he asked for help.
His view was, if Bono wasn't doing the work he was doing, who would be?
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

theskull1

Quote from: Bingo on March 10, 2014, 03:26:47 PM
But what is to replace them? X-Factor like manufactured singers who are merely puppets for a money making machine behind the scenes? Or walking tabloid machines like Lady Gaga, Miley Cyres and Rihanna who can sing but just allow themselves to walked over to make the money keep rolling in.

U2, Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon, The Killers, Bruce etc are badly needed to keep music as it has been.

They may not be great but they as good we got!

:o  ...Are you looking for a direct replacement (i.e. Iconic irish big stadium rock band) or do you just think there's no such thing as good new music?

I'm personally 20 years over U2...couldn't listen to them now ...I remember bono's pontificating had a big part to play in turning me off listening to them
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: muppet on March 10, 2014, 09:47:40 PM

Most of them took it from countries in places such as Africa.

Not quite what I meant by "in the first place", but well played.

ardal

I too liked U2 at an adolescent stage of my life but there is one thing that Paul Hewson said that still forces me to examine the physique of Irishness.

It goes a little like this:

"If an Irish person is driving through the country and sees a bit beautiful house, they think, fecking bastard. let's destroy him."

But:

"If an American is doing the same thing, they think, I want that"