County and club rivalries

Started by furboot, December 14, 2006, 09:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnevin

Quote from: Kerry Mike on December 15, 2006, 01:25:20 PM
Cork would be our main rivals but with only 6 AI titles you have to have a certain level of sympathy with them, but 'Tis the season of goodwill to all, even the langers, so Happy Christmas and best wishes to Cork Footballers in 07 from the National League and All Ireland double winning champions in 2006.

People from cork would claim they've over 100 Ai titles but lets no split hairs
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

magpie seanie

Locally on the club scene it has been and will always be St. Mary's but we're cultivating a healthy dislike of St. John's presently and especially at underage. Their raison d'etre seems to be to annoy us and eventually that has an effect on you. Losing to them is harder to take than losing to Mary's if you can understand.

County wise its similar for me. Mayo would be the big one but the last 2 years have seen me come to really dislike Leitrim. Their raison d'etre seems to be to annoy us and eventually that has an effect on you. Losing to them is harder to take than losing to Mayo if you can understand.

laoislad

Hurling  -Kilkenny,Offaly
Football - Offaly-Kildare (Dublin but thats a personal issue i have)
Club
The Harps
ps my club is The Harps its inner rivarly im talking about as we are joined with neighbouring parish Cullohill

furboot

so what is your no. rivalry nomination ? eire og, crossmaglen, the barrs, screen , crossmolina, or is it kerry in football or kilkenny in hurling ?

GalwayBayBoy

In county terms in football it would be Mayo for pure footballing rivalry but a great deal of mutual respect as well.

Roscommon for the fact that they have a chip on both shoulders so at least they are balanced in their bitterness and begrudgery. ;D

In hurling it would have to be Tipp even though we only share a small enough border with them around Portumna. We have a long border with Clare but have never developed a keen rivalry with them.

furboot

No one has mentioned Wicklow yet - surely a title contender when it comes to clubs battling it out in the true meaning of the word - hard to rememeber any great matches but there have been plenty of  headlines of players and fans getting very 'carried away'. Just a few weeks ago  recall a newspaper photographer on the radio telling how he was threatned if he took any pics of an after match car park incident. Not condoning such activity but is it that at county level rivalry can be a mix of dislike and respect at the same time but at club level it's dislike only - the respect is missing ?

Cloc Mor

Most clubs in South Down hate Mayobridge - can understand where this comes from as I suspect that their arrogance and believing they are so much better than other clubs doesn't help them.

Tyrones own

Surely that spectacle of an Ulster Final in '05 should get a mention.
Big Joe's intimidation tactics on the wee man payed off that day but were found out
a few weeks later as I'm sure you'll all recall ;D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

drumanee

for my club(bellaghy) it would be lavey,although they are going through a bad patch at the minute they are our biggest rivals with the two clubs within a stones through of each other

STALWART

Loup and Ballinderry is known as the "old firm derby". Loup playin in green and white, Ballinderry in bue, but there is alot of mutual respect between 99% of the players.