Davy Fitz. calls it a day

Started by mournerambler, March 31, 2008, 11:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Hands FFS

Was gonna say was it not the record for most championship appearnaces in history..rather than consecutive appearances

AZOffaly

That could be it too Two Hands. I didn't think the record was off the agenda when he missed last year. Can anybody clarify?

AZOffaly

From Wikipedia. A bit ambiguous in that it doesn't mention consecutive appearances. If it is total appearances, then his injury must be playing up.

QuoteIn 2007 FitzGerald sensationally walked away from the Clare senior hurling team after disagreements with the new manager Tony Considine. As a result of this FitzGerald playe dno part in the 2007 championship and was replaced as goalkeeper by Philip Brennan. Because of this he was denied the chance to equal and surpass Christy Ring's record of 64 appearances in championship games.

mournerambler

Get lost 'the claw', the forum says 'GAA discussion' & i thought this deserved its place under that banner as the man was one of the greats of the game of hurling & GAA as well, therefore i feel that the entire GAA board should have the oppurtunity to read about his retirement, now go away & try to find fault with some other thread!

dodo

Read his book. Was in disbelief when reading about him trying to break into the first 15, he found out what route the incumbent keeper drove to work in the mornings. He made it his duty to be out pucking the ball for this Doyle lad to see in the mornings to show him he meant business.
He was a great character of the game, a guy I didn't particularly take to but after reading his book I got more respect for him. 

The Claw

Quote from: mournerambler on April 01, 2008, 05:53:05 PM
Get lost 'the claw', the forum says 'GAA discussion' & i thought this deserved its place under that banner as the man was one of the greats of the game of hurling & GAA as well, therefore i feel that the entire GAA board should have the oppurtunity to read about his retirement, now go away & try to find fault with some other thread!
Wow, Jeez just thought this was a hurling matter so it should be on the hurling forum, where the 'entire GAA board' could still read about it. Don't see the point in having the hurling divide if something like this isn't on it, but hey, if it means that much to you, fair enough.

rosnarun

its just that no one reads the hurling section and this fitz gibbon ? williams ? gearld? fella  would retire unnoticed.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Uladh

i have never said i don't have any regard for hurling. i just object to people forcing it upon me to further their own agenda s opposed to the collective good.

orangeman

Did Davy give any particular reason for packing it in ? Tired - no motivation ? other things to do ? Wants to be a manager now ? Injury ?

charlie stubbs

AZOffaly

Quote from: orangeman on April 02, 2008, 09:47:21 AM
Did Davy give any particular reason for packing it in ? Tired - no motivation ? other things to do ? Wants to be a manager now ? Injury ?

I didn't hear his statement, but he had a serious hand injury, I believe a finger was almost severed during a game, and he was due to hear the prognosis regarding his ability to hold a hurley properly long terms recently. Maybe that had a bearing, I can't see him giving up this year for any other reason, given the fact that he lost a year last year, and was mad keen to get back in this year.

Uladh

The announcement highlighted the finger injury as the problem. however, Davy said a cople of times on des cahill last night that he was still playing away with the club and never mentined the finger. Am i wrong in saying there hasn't been any official word from clare to cmment on davy's retirement? surely it'd be worth a couple of minuts of tony considine's time?

feetofflames

Chief Wiggum

AZOffaly

Quote from: Uladh on April 02, 2008, 10:23:44 AM

The announcement highlighted the finger injury as the problem. however, Davy said a cople of times on des cahill last night that he was still playing away with the club and never mentined the finger. Am i wrong in saying there hasn't been any official word from clare to cmment on davy's retirement? surely it'd be worth a couple of minuts of tony considine's time?

Tony Considine is gone from the Clare setup this year, the rug was pulled out from him after he fell out with Davy. Mike McNamara is the current Clare manager, and would be a Davy man. I don;'t think there's anything in the way of a falling out if that's what you are thinking. I know the finger was serious, but I'd say Davy will continue with the club for a while anyway.

Uladh

Sorry az - i meant Mike Mc of course.

This fundamental lack of knowledge is yet another reason why hurling should remain elevated inits own section...