Favourite player you played with

Started by irunthev, December 14, 2006, 09:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AZOffaly

James Grennan, with club and county. As a corner forward he always seemed to know what ball to give, and where I was running. it seemed to vary with other forwards, but with me, he seldom gave a bad ball.

lynchbhoy

Terry Lyons
The hardest man ever in Meath football (that I have ever seen).
Would get a 30 - 70 ball that he should never have had a chance of getting and then would hoof it up to you.
Not the best and most skilled player, but you took great confidence with Terry there to back you up, and his bravery and hardness only inspired you on.

An elephant gun wouldnt stop Terry in his tracks.

STALWART

Had to be Geoffrey McGonigle, Joe Brolly once described him havin an ass like a bag of cement but big Geoff is and wuz a legend. Ask any back in Derry club football over the last ten years and they'll tell you the same, he won many a game for the "sirs" on his own.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: STALWART on December 15, 2006, 11:56:17 AM
Had to be Geoffrey McGonigle, Joe Brolly once described him havin an ass like a bag of cement but big Geoff is and wuz a legend. Ask any back in Derry club football over the last ten years and they'll tell you the same, he won many a game for the "sirs" on his own.
Like almost all his club team mates, Jarvis never really demonstrated what he could do on the county level.
Down to a mixture of being on bad sides, not getting the ball sent into him when he was picked of just not being selected by useless managers

Geoff also was the architect of his own downfall by heavily boozing from the age of 14

Great guy though and heart of gold (with an erse of cement!)

Timothy Leary

Lynchbhoy

Terry Lyons me hole - what about Peter Conlon or Ger Lowry, two real men of steel.

Roashter

Would have to be Colin Lynch, the man's energy was just ridiculous

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Timothy Leary on December 15, 2006, 12:07:22 PM
Lynchbhoy

Terry Lyons me hole - what about Peter Conlon or Ger Lowry, two real men of steel.

Timmy
Ger was tough as nails
but I lost all respect for Peter Conlon as a 'tough guy' when making my first championship start at 16 , I was floored by a sly punch from the big full back, and Peter saw this and did nothing.

Maybe Timmy you should be asking the question to Peter & Ger about me!

As for the Cloughs toughest men second place Peter Delaney, but without a shadow of a doubt hardest/toughest ever was Tom Kelly (not mouse Kelly).

Captain Scarlet

just floatin through. saw the thing bout geoffrey. a few yaesr ago i was in newbridge where he put on an absolute exhibition at full forward.
he set up everything and we ut three different men on him. best thing was he didnt just have the size his vision was unbelievable. he made eegits out of the defenders elling dummies kicking scores and then when he was tired of that just bullying his marker and plughing through lads. one pass over the top to a wing back running at full tilt was one of the best ive ever seen in football. sheer class.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

STALWART

Totally agree Capt, Derry played Cavan in Breffini few years ago and McGonigle got a free on the right hand touch line. Ronan Rocks made a run from the far side and called the ball, Big Geoff hit er with the outside of his peg, right into Rocks' chest who wuz pulled down for a penalty. Never mind the pass, Geoff came runnin over, took the ball off whoever, took one step and stuck the penalty in the top corner, and i mean "one" step. unbelieveable considering it wuz a tight championship match as well.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: STALWART on December 15, 2006, 02:18:52 PM
Geoff came runnin over,

that part I dont believe

but this part I do

"took the ball off whoever"

:D :D

STALWART

:D :D :D :D U OBVIOUSLY NO BIG GEOFF WELL LYNCH BOY!!!!

laoislad

I went to school with Tom Kelly,Steven Kelly and Joe Higgins and played on the same school team as them.
Also played soccer against Henry Shefflin and former Kilkenny hurler Ken O'Shea.Shefflin is a great soccer player

Canalman

Would like to add to what has been said about Joey Towell, a hero of mine as a kid when Dublin hurling legends were thin on the ground.