American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

A serious Irish basketball prospect?
https://www.balls.ie/american-sports/cj-fulton-15-three-pointers-382009

On a side topic the lack of basketball coverage in the Irish sports media always baffles me when compared to the likes of tennis or even cricket these days. Playing numbers can't be too far behind Rugby for instance.

AZOffaly

Re rough fans in the NFL, the Eagles are notorious alright, and they turn on their team very quickly. But in 4 years as a season ticket holder in Arizona, I can honestly say that the biggest shower of nutters are the Raiders. They fight with the opposition, with themselves, with security, anybody.

gallsman

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on January 26, 2018, 12:37:55 AM

On a side topic the lack of basketball coverage in the Irish sports media always baffles me when compared to the likes of tennis or even cricket these days. Playing numbers can't be too far behind Rugby for instance.

Son of the well known Adrian Fulton. I read that he had 15 3s and wondered what his shooting percentage, expecting it to still be average and then found out he'd made 14/16. Ridiculous stuff.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on January 26, 2018, 12:37:55 AM

I'm glad the article quoted some tweets that gave an indication of his shooting %.....it might take a while but if I threw up enough 3 point attempts I'd hit 15 too. Seems this lad missed very few so an incredible day shooting for him, fair play.

When I played U-16 basketball there was a guy on our team who regularly scored over 40 points. And he rarely shot 3 pointers. Very skilful but played very little after that (was an excellent gaelic football midfielder). He could shoot from everywhere if needed but he was so good inside the key.

Oraisteach

Cleveland Indians to drop their Chief Wahoo logo.  I think it's a good thing because far from honoring Native Americans, the leering big-nosed red-faced caricature is simply offensive.  I could accept it if it were a more dignified logo. The team is still retaining the name "Indians." Sometimes political correctness is simply correctness.

heganboy

Quote from: gallsman on January 26, 2018, 09:39:10 AM
Son of the well known Adrian Fulton.

I played in basketball for years against Adrian, and Gareth Maguire that was one of the first St Malachy's team to really progress to the Irish level. I think they beat us in 3 ulster finals. They all played at Star in the 90's winning the Irish championship maybe in '96 or 97. Gareth is now running a great charity in Belfast called Sport Changes Life.

Some of the most fun I had playing basketball was in the rec league at queens in the 90s. I think my style was "agricultural". Eamon Mc Cotter and a few of those St Malachy boys, a few lads from Dungannon, (inter and academy always had a grudge), throw in yer man Dupree who was the american guy at Star and that made for fun basketball, and of course a few scoops to follow.

There's been a few Irish basketball successes in the US- Kieran Quinn led the charge at Post University, from Tipp minor hurling. Pat Burke of course who was the first Irish player in the NBA.
Post has great relationships with Irish basketball, and have had maybe 15/20 national team players there.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

magpie seanie

I loved playing basketball but after U-16 community games I never played again. I was decent but size was always going to be a problem as I'm only 5'9". It was either go into Sligo Allstars underage programme (which I just wouldn't have been good enough for) or stop playing which I think was a shame.

gallsman

Sticking with basketball, Blake Griffin away to the Pistons for a couple of picks and a few shit contracts.

Syferus

Bringing in Doc Rivers has turned the Clippers from championship chasers to lottery chasers.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on January 30, 2018, 03:21:29 PM
Bringing in Doc Rivers has turned the Clippers from championship chasers to lottery chasers.

Himself and 'the logo' seem to have issues with each other anyway...

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 30, 2018, 10:28:27 PM

West is fixing things. Griffin's athleticism is already in decline after all the injuries and he's on the books for a LOT over the next few years. Think his new contract was 170m last year and there's a player option for an extra year at 40 odd million. Best get what they can. I'd expect Deandre Jordan to be on the move imminently now too.

Hard to see what the Pistons get out of it really.

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on January 30, 2018, 11:22:54 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 30, 2018, 10:28:27 PM

West is fixing things. Griffin's athleticism is already in decline after all the injuries and he's on the books for a LOT over the next few years. Think his new contract was 170m last year and there's a player option for an extra year at 40 odd million. Best get what they can. I'd expect Deandre Jordan to be on the move imminently now too.

Hard to see what the Pistons get out of it really.

A good player.

stew

Quote from: Oraisteach on January 29, 2018, 11:51:06 PM
Cleveland Indians to drop their Chief Wahoo logo.  I think it's a good thing because far from honoring Native Americans, the leering big-nosed red-faced caricature is simply offensive.  I could accept it if it were a more dignified logo. The team is still retaining the name "Indians." Sometimes political correctness is simply correctness.

Orais, remember the Washington Bullets? I know you do, now if ever a name needed to go it was that one, that said, the Washington Redskins are iconic, they pay great respect to the native people of America and in my opinion the name should stay forever, I have tremendous respect for native Americans, one of the biggest Redskin fans ever was the leader of the Navaho people who was an avid Redskins fan, there was tremendous heat for I think Dan Snyder, the owner to change the name, the leader loved the name redskins, saw it for what it was and did not want change, and won the day, I remember saying at the time the Irish didnt get offended at the Notre Dame Logo and no one clamoured to get rid of the fighting Irish symbol, sometimes tradition matters and you should not take youself too seriously.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Oraisteach

Stew, I'm talking about the Indians' logo, which depicts Indians as leering buffoons--no vestige of respect there.  If the Fighting Irish logo depicted the Irish using the simian images of the Know-Nothing era, I'd oppose it too.  To me, the leprechaun is irritating, not offensive.  The Indians intend to have Native American artists design a new, more tasteful and respectful mascot.  I do find the name "Redskins" offensive, as I would if a team were called the Nashville Niggers.

stew

Quote from: Oraisteach on January 31, 2018, 01:52:43 AM
Stew, I'm talking about the Indians' logo, which depicts Indians as leering buffoons--no vestige of respect there.  If the Fighting Irish logo depicted the Irish using the simian images of the Know-Nothing era, I'd oppose it too.  To me, the leprechaun is irritating, not offensive.  The Indians intend to have Native American artists design a new, more tasteful and respectful mascot.  I do find the name "Redskins" offensive, as I would if a team were called the Nashville Niggers.

How many genders do you recognise Orais? and what are they? What does not offend you and your sensibilities? Do the 100 year old statues of confederates offend you? Hopefully not as they are almost exclusively democrat, I would rather respect the wishes of the Indian people than your opinion or my opinion, your shock factor post, rather than shock me, instead hardened my resolve, I absolutely loathe your leftist bullshit stances and will always prefer the will of the native people over the lefts will or the rights will, Lord knows both right and left have done more than enough damage and told enough lies that hurt the native people, they need to make their opinions felt on the matter.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.