You know you're a junior footballer when.....

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, December 01, 2006, 08:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

1. You spend all winter on the beer speculating on who will be  brought in to manage the team next year.
2. The hardest tackle you will make all year is in an indoor soccer match in January.
3. When you break your brother-in-law's leg.
4. There are 35 at training under lights on a bitter February night (unfit but enthusiastic) - the average for August is 7 (the rest are either unfit, sick of training, repeating exams, in the US or  making silage)
5. When you go for a pick-up, you fumble the ball at least twice before you just kick it.
6. The full forward has his son and nephew in the corners.
7. The nephew is two years older.
8. For a 2.30 throw-in, you start packing your gearbag at 2.40 and still manage to be on the field before the referee even arrives.
9. You can get a match called off because your star player is playing for the County under-16's the following week.
10. Your tight marking corner back never gives an inch - except of course, when the ball gets inside his own 50 and he charges out after it with all the other backs, forgetting that the other team are even on the field.
11. Your goalie lets in a sitter every second game - this usually happens after you have scored 5 points from play to reel in a difficult half-time deficit.
12. Or in the first minute if it is a final.
13. Your full-forward can't score but "he's a good man to bust up the play".
14. Your centre-forward can't score either but "he'll stop a good man from playing".
15. Your championship is either a round robin that requires you to play six league games to eliminate one team, or a knockout starting in October.
16. Your no 8 cant catch the ball and is only there because he is the tallest lad in the parish.
17. Any members of your panel who claim to have back injuries are either lazy or completely daft. Unless you can see blood, bruises or bandages, they are making it up.
18. Before every match, the forwards are told to stay wide and not bunch - but this is not what happens. The only time any forward goes  wide is if they are looking for water.
19. Your backs play from behind punching with one hand while resting the other on the forward's back - this is why all your scores and all their scores come from frees.
20. A pint after mass is the usual warm up for a game.
21. You can't field a team during the June because of Leaving & Junior Cert. exams
22. Your left-corner-back plays at No.4 because he is one of only 2 people who can kick with their left foot.
23. Ditto No.7.
24. After every away match you cant wait till next year "to get them bastards down to our pitch and give them a kickin'"
25. Your star player always has one other brother "that was even better but he couldn't stay off the drink".

Cloc Mor

.........................you post a thread like this

youbetterbelieveit

well at least i know i am not a junior footballer!!!

BallyhaiseMan

:D :D yep describes alot of our junior players very well  ;D

Bart1

giveballaghback

Unlaoised

You go to warm up but there ain't a ball in sight at the first game...A selector arrives late with a selection of Yellow and White o'Neills ball all pumped like Rocks or else too soft!
LAOIS ABÚ

thejuice

Oddly enough I was always good for a score and was usually one of the more accurate shooters. Sadly every other aspect of the game I was very poor at.

Can't catch very well, cant turn, usually over hit my fist passes and can never do a fair tackle or shoulder.

Actually my kick passing was very good.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 01, 2006, 08:19:54 PM
1. You spend all winter on the beer speculating on who will be  brought in to manage the team next year.
2. The hardest tackle you will make all year is in an indoor soccer match in January.
3. When you break your brother-in-law's leg.
4. There are 35 at training under lights on a bitter February night (unfit but enthusiastic) - the average for August is 7 (the rest are either unfit, sick of training, repeating exams, in the US or  making silage)
5. When you go for a pick-up, you fumble the ball at least twice before you just kick it.
6. The full forward has his son and nephew in the corners.
7. The nephew is two years older.
8. For a 2.30 throw-in, you start packing your gearbag at 2.40 and still manage to be on the field before the referee even arrives.
9. You can get a match called off because your star player is playing for the County under-16's the following week.
10. Your tight marking corner back never gives an inch - except of course, when the ball gets inside his own 50 and he charges out after it with all the other backs, forgetting that the other team are even on the field.
11. Your goalie lets in a sitter every second game - this usually happens after you have scored 5 points from play to reel in a difficult half-time deficit.
12. Or in the first minute if it is a final.
13. Your full-forward can't score but "he's a good man to bust up the play".
14. Your centre-forward can't score either but "he'll stop a good man from playing".
15. Your championship is either a round robin that requires you to play six league games to eliminate one team, or a knockout starting in October.
16. Your no 8 cant catch the ball and is only there because he is the tallest lad in the parish.
17. Any members of your panel who claim to have back injuries are either lazy or completely daft. Unless you can see blood, bruises or bandages, they are making it up.
18. Before every match, the forwards are told to stay wide and not bunch - but this is not what happens. The only time any forward goes  wide is if they are looking for water.
19. Your backs play from behind punching with one hand while resting the other on the forward's back - this is why all your scores and all their scores come from frees.
20. A pint after mass is the usual warm up for a game.
21. You can't field a team during the June because of Leaving & Junior Cert. exams
22. Your left-corner-back plays at No.4 because he is one of only 2 people who can kick with their left foot.
23. Ditto No.7.
24. After every away match you cant wait till next year "to get them b**tards down to our pitch and give them a kickin'"
25. Your star player always has one other brother "that was even better but he couldn't stay off the drink".
19 made me laugh out loud
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnneycool

Nice to see a thread that was dormant for a decade revived again!!

Seafoid,
   you're missing a trick here.

Gabriel_Hurl

I don't even remember posting this ........  ;D

And yes - I still very much am one

longballin

...you get into a schemozzle and the GAA takes you to Croke Park till 2am in the morning and bans a load of your players because of a radio phone-in and your county board looks the other way as they don't give a sh*t ....and didn't even send a representative when a junior team is the first club in the county to win an All Ireland title  ???   

themac_23

half the team wear their own jersey because they cant get into last seasons senior tight fit jerseys.
Remember this in a reserve hurling game, one of the lads was wearing his own top no number on it. he was having a decent game scored 1-4 or so and he said something to his man who replied with 'at least i can get into my top and dont have to wear a 3 man tent' found it funny as our lad had no reply and just walked away head down, good times lol