Counties in World terms

Started by Pangurban, November 25, 2006, 04:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

Aye – a couple of unproductive years can be worrying alright. You start thinking about what could happen. You remember the once in a generation that you see clapped-out Massey Fergusons decked out in blue-and-white flags chugging down the N3 and catcalling their way through Kells and environs. It arouses some faint race memory in us, seems to stimulate a long-suppressed stone-throwing reflex and gets young lads pegging rocks without really knowing why they're doing it. They go home and ask their fathers, "Da, what's a Cavan?". "I dunno, son – ask yer grandfather".

Hardy on second thoughts I am disappointed that such a class act as yourself should have to resort to dredging up the oldest and most clapped out of stereotypes. In fairness though a good move getting your retaliation in first regarding the Kells/Knackeragua factor. I thought at the time that a thirty year break from living in the constant shadow of (former) greatness would have helped such chaps get over it, but appears it was not to be.

In any event, GAA has changed utterly in the meantime and the only contact we tend to have these days is when 33 or so Loyal Rials skulk their way home through the lakes county having preserved their 100% record of glorious clones defeats in the qualifiers against Fermanagh or some such power. Arrah f**k it lets go the full hog with stereotypes while you are at it-33 or so loyal rials with bull necks who stomped out a half time a la croke park early 80's on the way home to milk the bulls and bull the heifers.

On that sensible note I'm off for a few real time large bottles. Have a good week mate
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Johno07

"And I agree - you can always rely on Mayo when you're looking for someone worse off than yourself."

I much prefer being a mayo supporter with 5 provincial titles, and 4 All-Ireland semi final wins in the last 10 years than being a supporter of a weaker county, such as Cavan. Only Kerry can better us on the statistics iv just stated, Fair enough the finals were very hard to take but its better having an almost guaranteed long summer of going to matches than sitting at home in August watching the Sunday Game wishing your own county was there.
"For the highs to be high the lows have to be low!"

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteI much prefer being a mayo supporter with 5 provincial titles, and 4 All-Ireland semi final wins in the last 10 years than being a supporter of a weaker county, such as Cavan. Only Kerry can better us on the statistics iv just stated

Eh?

We've won 2 All-Ireland's in the past 10 years. As have Tyrone. And Meath.

Johno07

"Eh?

We've won 2 All-Ireland's in the past 10 years. As have Tyrone. And Meath."

I was clearly talking about All Ireland semi-final victories.
"For the highs to be high the lows have to be low!"

TORGAEL

I think some posters are beginning to miss the point of this thread. its turned into a bickering match !

stephenite

Quote from: TORGAEL on November 27, 2006, 08:25:12 PM
I think some posters are beginning to miss the point of this thread. its turned into a bickering match !

It's the time of year, nothing else going so you can expect to see a lot of blood spilt and general all around nastiness ( with a brief spell of good will towards Xmas and New year ) until the National league resumes. Happens every year, DO YOU HEAR ME , EVERY "f**king" YEAR, YOU CNUT

;) ;D ;)