GAA Bars in Chicago

Started by coosanglen, July 19, 2007, 10:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coosanglen

Well lads, first time to use the site but have viewed on a regular basis. Heading to Chicago for a few weeks holidays. Just wondering if ye could tell me good GAA bars where i would see the games this weekend.

Bensars

Used to be gaelic park on a sunday morning.

Takes you up to about lunchtime and then 3 or 4 hours football/hurling/ladies from about 1 onward

Chicago Gaelic Park
6119 W. 147th St.
Oak Forest, Illinois 60452

the Deel Rover

used to drink in the six penny and vaughans years ago mighty craic don't know if they are still opened , the buyback was a mighty system ,oh those were the days
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

MauriceMalpas

Kerryman
661 North Clark
Chicago

Its downtown, a couple of blocks off Michigan Ave. Clark/Erie. Nice place.
Worth a visit. Decent bar/crowd.

Redgreenery

The Claddagh Ring, its owned by some of my relatives over there, not sure of the address but might get it later.

stew

Gaelic park is some set up and they show the games. I have been there four times for the AI finals three football and one hurling and it is hard to beat, they have a feed, drink and game package as well, or at least they used to. Great value altogether.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Windy City

If your located in the city center or north side Gaelic Park is a long way out, try The Abbey http://www.abbeypub.com/ or Galvins http://www.chicagobarproject.com/Reviews/Galvin's/Galvin's.htm  The Abbeys probably the better location but you should be aware of the notorious Abbey-Vision, you may see a game, you may not! As far as I know The Six Penny on Montrose still shows games though this should probably be a last resort! On the south side The Goalpost on 95th isnt a bad option either.

redandblack4ever

The Goalpost doesn't show the live games anymore. However, Cullen's does:

Cullen's
9953 Southwest Highway
Oak Lawn, IL 60453
708-424-7286

This is where most of the GAA people I know go to watch the live telecasts. The craic is usually much better in Cullen's than Gaelic Park.

The price is the same no matter where you go. It's $20.00/person.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

Bensars

is that horse cullens, who used to play for the tones?

redandblack4ever

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

we are blue... etc

Quote from: Bensars on July 19, 2007, 09:51:39 PM
is that horse cullens, who used to play for the tones?
Tones!? (spit) C'mon Brendans....

Corcorans is good craic - North Wells and North Avenue.

redandblack4ever

Up the Tones. Most successful Senior football club in the NACB.

13 Senior Titles to date, read them and weep, Mr. Brendan's man...

1978, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1988, 1991, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2002 and 2006.

How many do the sainted Brendan's have????

Redgreenery

Quote from: Windy City on July 19, 2007, 07:54:35 PM
If your located in the city center or north side Gaelic Park is a long way out, try The Abbey http://www.abbeypub.com/ or Galvins http://www.chicagobarproject.com/Reviews/Galvin's/Galvin's.htm  The Abbeys probably the better location but you should be aware of the notorious Abbey-Vision, you may see a game, you may not! As far as I know The Six Penny on Montrose still shows games though this should probably be a last resort! On the south side The Goalpost on 95th isnt a bad option either.

The Abbey i've been, $20 dollars admission at the hour of the morning to see a match, good craic there. Came back from Chicago there last Sunday brilliant craic.

we are blue... etc

Quote from: redandblack4ever on July 19, 2007, 11:22:00 PM
How many do the sainted Brendan's have????
A meagre 5. If only there was an emoticon for "that told me"...

Mike Sheehy

QuoteUp the Tones. Most successful Senior football club in the NACB.

13 Senior Titles to date, read them and weep, Mr. Brendan's man...

1978, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1988, 1991, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2002 and 2006.

Dont you think that its a bit silly to be boasting about NA championships when half the team only met
each other a few days/weeks before the finals ? I'm not saying its only Wolfe Tones that do this however the
only championships that have any meaning in North America are the junior competitions and even they
are tainted somehwat by the amout of students used.

Its the St Loiuis, Milwaukees, Phoenix, Seattle etc of the world that have the right to list trophies won as they
were won by the club, for the club.