Your county’s toughest defeat to stomach

Started by BennyHarp, August 16, 2018, 04:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No1

Armagh completely destroying us in the 99 Ulster Final will never leave me. The start of a long and steady decline. The hoors laughing at us on the way out of the ground and all over Clones afterwards hurts to this day. Good job I'm not bitter!! ;D

Main Street

Quote from: timmyot501 on August 17, 2018, 12:47:48 PM
Although Sunday last was a tough one to take as a Monaghan fan I still don't think it ranked with the feeling after the Kerry defeat in the 2007 QF when we had them on the ropes but failed to land the final blow.  Also denied a late free in that game as far as I recall and that may have resulted in Kerry breaking forward for Tomás to score the winner late on.
Same here, the aftermath of that game in 2007 was pure grief.  Kerry had to dig deep into the depths of their cute hoorism for that victory. That late foul denied was a high heavy blow from D O'Shea's boot into the face of a Monaghan player, Colm ?  who in the next attack missed the last chance of the game, a scorable equaliser.
Dara's loose boot had a dual effect, it assisted the Kerry winning point and at the same time unassisted the last Monaghan effort for the equaliser.
The Monaghan goalie Shane Duffy took a 45 late in that game and missed by inches, wasn't he the first of the goalies at championship level to venture out to attempt a long range  conversion? In those days a 45 was long range for Monaghan.

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

stephenite

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Main Street on August 20, 2018, 12:32:45 AM
The Monaghan goalie Shane Duffy took a 45 late in that game and missed by inches, wasn't he the first of the goalies at championship level to venture out to attempt a long range  conversion? In those days a 45 was long range for Monaghan.

You could be right, although I seem to remember an Offaly goalkeeper putting a long range effort wide of the Canal goals in a Leinster Championship match - think it was against Kildare, and I'm guessing it would have been around that time. I've a vague memory that the keeper's surname was Kelly?

Shamrock Shore

Hardly full of memories in this one but the only game I remember coming out of spitting fire was our defeat to Fermanagh in the All Ireland B Final in 199?. Joe Woods, then the worse ref in Ireland, rode us that day.

Other hard defeats were usually in the O'Beirne Cup final..........Dubs in 200? in Parnell Park and Meath this year but these defeats were not due to cnuts of refs.

haranguerer

96. Meant a right bit to us so good man Joe

Shamrock Shore

AQMP

So many for Antrim...

In football, my late father never got over the 1946 semi-final against Kerry.

In hurling it has to be the 1991 semi-final against Kilkenny.  Both semis played as a double header.  Antrim were the better team for about 60 mins but in the other 10 mins Eamonn Morrissey scored 2-2 and we lost 2-18 to 1-19.

God be with the days when we could beat Westmeath 5-15 to 1-05 in the quarter final!

westbound

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on August 20, 2018, 08:08:41 AM

You could be right, although I seem to remember an Offaly goalkeeper putting a long range effort wide of the Canal goals in a Leinster Championship match - think it was against Kildare, and I'm guessing it would have been around that time. I've a vague memory that the keeper's surname was Kelly?

Roscommom goalie, Shane curran scored 1-1 from dead balls vs sligo in 2004. He's the first goalie i remember scoring a long range free.

johnnycool

Quote from: AQMP on August 20, 2018, 09:56:32 AM
So many for Antrim...

In football, my late father never got over the 1946 semi-final against Kerry.

In hurling it has to be the 1991 semi-final against Kilkenny.  Both semis played as a double header.  Antrim were the better team for about 60 mins but in the other 10 mins Eamonn Morrissey scored 2-2 and we lost 2-18 to 1-19.

God be with the days when we could beat Westmeath 5-15 to 1-05 in the quarter final!

Antrim left another semi-final behind them in Dundalk of all places also against KK.
Harry Ryan and big Ger Rogan were cutting lumps out of each other so much so that I think the Antrim management panicked that Ger might get the line and took him off. It was only when he went off that Kilkenny and Ryan had an impact on the scoreboard and pulled away.
Antrim had some team back then.

Quote from: SHEEDY on August 19, 2018, 03:20:35 PM
From my point of view as a Down man, I'd say:

1993 loss to derry in newry in the ulster championship, otherwise known as the massacre in the marshes.

1999 ulster final loss to armagh, enough said.

2010 all ireland final loss to cork, looking back its a match we could have won.

Was at that game in 1993 and Derry ate and shat Down out sideways. Hard to believe they won the AI a year later.

2010 would have been won by Down if it wasn't raining IMO. Cork were physically the bigger team and were able to handle the conditions better. Down had a decent set of forwards back then, if somewhat small.

bamboo

Quote from: timmyot501 on August 17, 2018, 12:47:48 PM
Although Sunday last was a tough one to take as a Monaghan fan I still don't think it ranked with the feeling after the Kerry defeat in the 2007 QF when we had them on the ropes but failed to land the final blow.  Also denied a late free in that game as far as I recall and that may have resulted in Kerry breaking forward for Tomás to score the winner late on.
Same here, the aftermath of that game in 2007 was pure grief.  Kerry had to dig deep into the depths of their cute hoorism for that victory. That late foul denied was a high heavy blow from D O'Shea's boot into the face of a Monaghan player, Colm ?  who in the next attack missed the last chance of the game, a scorable equaliser.
Dara's loose boot had a dual effect, it assisted the Kerry winning point and at the same time unassisted the last Monaghan effort for the equaliser.

Paul Meegan from inniskeen was fouled and then missed a chance to equalize. Kerry's last 2 points came from frees that we didn't get.