DICK v WOOLY

Started by trailer, July 24, 2018, 09:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Wooly used to do really good sideline reports (and half time interviews) for Newstalk on the radio.
Actually Newstalk's GAA coverage in general is very badly missed.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

trailer

Quote from: Jinxy on July 26, 2018, 02:38:20 PM
Wooly used to do really good sideline reports (and half time interviews) for Newstalk on the radio.
Actually Newstalk's GAA coverage in general is very badly missed.

Very true. Newstalk is excellent and their GAA coverage was top notch.

Mario

Quote from: joemamas on July 26, 2018, 02:25:56 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on July 25, 2018, 10:43:33 PM
Quote from: Scoring Zone on July 24, 2018, 09:36:45 PM
this whole thing is like watching two dwarfs fight - entertaining for the first 10 seconds then ye just feel sorry for them trying to get attention - just two irrelevant average ex county men looking to be heard - in a committee of some description in clerkins case ( Jarleth "scor" Burns Jr) and in Parkinsons case, Joe.ie and their laddish clickbait blog gives the loudest mouth a soapbox - unfortunately this seems to be the norm - Cavanagh, Brendan Deveney, Billy Joe Padden, Dessie Dolan, Gooch, David "as the man says" Brady - are all bland, irrelevant cliche ridden doses #rantover

Senan 'that's quality' Connell would be in there too. 

+1

Connell is as bad as any of them, sideline report my arse, you could get any average GAA supporter in the crowd and they would add just as much value. Of course his Dublin accent seems to be getting stronger every time he is on, so maybe that is the angle for SKY.
I just press mute when he is on.
Everytime i hear him now I just think of the intro to the gaa hour where he repeats 'you see that handpass into a crowded area wooly, that little dinked handpass' and repeats it 4 times.

The Gaa coverage on Newstalk is away to sh*te compared to what it used to be.

The Gaa hour is the best podcast in my opinion, Ward is the best and makes some great points which I wouldn't think of. Conan can also make some good points but he's not essential to the podcast, i'm probably biased on him though as he is from Derry so I can relate to his stories more. Wooly is entertaining but I don't take him very seriously, sometimes i think he sees things the way he wants too, for example will never once criticises how Dublin play and always blames the other team for setting up a certain way but if it was another team he'd be all over them. Stevie is ok, he's not the most articulate for radio but still likeable and it's good to have a top player on there.

Beffs

Quote from: Mario on July 26, 2018, 02:55:36 PM
The Gaa hour is the best podcast in my opinion, Ward is the best and makes some great points which I wouldn't think of. Conan can also make some good points but he's not essential to the podcast, i'm probably biased on him though as he is from Derry so I can relate to his stories more. Wooly is entertaining but I don't take him very seriously, sometimes i think he sees things the way he wants too, for example will never once criticises how Dublin play and always blames the other team for setting up a certain way but if it was another team he'd be all over them. Stevie is ok, he's not the most articulate for radio but still likeable and it's good to have a top player on there.

Conan just doesn't fit in. All of the pundits are former players or managers and they all have a unique perspective that only intercounty players will have. He's just some random lad from the Sports Joe office who sits in on the podcast, for no apparent reason that I can tell. His insight isn't exactly so brilliant that he merits inclusion, purely because he is such a good talker. I'd dump him and get someone else in from a Munster or Connaught county. When the podcast is Wooly and Cian Ward, or Wooly with Conan and Stevie, there is too much of a weighting towards Ulster and Leinster football and, not enough from the other 2 provinces.

spuds

this whole thing is like watching two dwarfs fight - entertaining for the first 10 seconds then ye just feel sorry for them trying to get attention - just two irrelevant average ex county men looking to be heard - in a committee of some description in clerkins case ( Jarleth "scor" Burns Jr) and in Parkinsons case, Joe.ie and their laddish clickbait blog gives the loudest mouth a soapbox - unfortunately this seems to be the norm - Cavanagh, Brendan Deveney, Billy Joe Padden, Dessie Dolan, Gooch, David "as the man says" Brady - are all bland, irrelevant cliche ridden doses #rantover

+1

Connell is as bad as any of them, sideline report my arse, you could get any average GAA supporter in the crowd and they would add just as much value. Of course his Dublin accent seems to be getting stronger every time he is on, so maybe that is the angle for SKY.
Everytime i hear him now I just think of the intro to the gaa hour where he repeats 'you see that handpass into a crowded area wooly, that little dinked handpass' and repeats it 4 times.

Conan agrees too much with Wolly and his excess cursing reflects poorly on how articulate he is. Wolly is a good laugh and does some good analysis but gets muddled occasionally.

We've gone overtime on this section.

There's no doubt about that.

Cian Ward is excellent.

Stevie McDonnell gets more wrong than right but is still interesting.

Senan O'Connell was an awful dose. I've talked with Bernard about it. In a crowded area. Right. Watch for it.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Schkite

Don't think Stevie is great at all personally, he doesn't offer a whole pile in terms of actual analysis.

Agree Ward is very good though.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 11:18:20 AM
It's some gravy train this pundit lark. Some boys absolutely stealing a living at it. And don't get me started on Rory's stories.

An absolute dose.  Haven't seen anything remotely funny from him yet.

trailer

Quote from: spuds on July 26, 2018, 03:15:03 PM

+1

Conan agrees too much with Wolly and his excess cursing reflects poorly on how articulate he is. Wolly is a good laugh and does some good analysis but gets muddled occasionally.

We've gone overtime on this section.

There's no doubt about that.

Cian Ward is excellent.

Stevie McDonnell gets more wrong than right but is still interesting.

Senan O'Connell was an awful dose. I've talked with Bernard about it. In a crowded area. Right. Watch for it.
'And Bernard is very patient.'

He'd wanna be listening to him.

Mario

Quote from: Beffs on July 26, 2018, 03:11:12 PM

Conan just doesn't fit in. All of the pundits are former players or managers and they all have a unique perspective that only intercounty players will have. He's just some random lad from the Sports Joe office who sits in on the podcast, for no apparent reason that I can tell. His insight isn't exactly so brilliant that he merits inclusion, purely because he is such a good talker. I'd dump him and get someone else in from a Munster or Connaught county. When the podcast is Wooly and Cian Ward, or Wooly with Conan and Stevie, there is too much of a weighting towards Ulster and Leinster football and, not enough from the other 2 provinces.
While you may have that opinion of Conan i don't agree that pundits should just be ex players or managers, some of the best soccer podcasts regularly get journalists in as they have more to say and say it better than ex players. Eg Dan McDonnell and Tim Vickery on Off the Ball.

There is a Mayo lad on the GAA hour regularly, can't remember his name. Agree they could probably get a Munster representative on.

Beffs

Quote from: Mario on July 26, 2018, 05:06:45 PM

While you may have that opinion of Conan i don't agree that pundits should just be ex players or managers, some of the best soccer podcasts regularly get journalists in as they have more to say and say it better than ex players. Eg Dan McDonnell and Tim Vickery on Off the Ball.

There is a Mayo lad on the GAA hour regularly, can't remember his name. Agree they could probably get a Munster representative on.

I didn't say the pundits should only be former players. (Although I can see why that might have been inferred from my post.) I said his analysis wasn't good enough to make up for the fact that he himself isn't a former intercounty player and, the others all are. Malachy Clerkin and Vincent Hogan are not intercounty players either, but they are well able to provide excellent analysis and, participate very well in podcasts in ways that Conan doesn't. He just seems out of his depth imo.

Yes, I have heard the Mayo chap a couple of times too. Unfortunately, he is on so rarely, neither one of us can remember his name.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Beffs on July 26, 2018, 05:16:19 PM

I didn't say the pundits should only be former players. (Although I can see why that might have been inferred.) I said his analysis wasn't good enough to make up for the fact that he himself isn't a former intercounty player and the others all are. Malachy Clerkin and Vincent Hogan are not intercounty players either, but they are able to provide excellent analysis and, participate very well in podcasts in ways that Conan doesn't. He just seems out of his depth imo.

Yes, I have heard the Mayo chap a couple of times too. Unfortunately, he is on so rarely, neither one of us can remember his name.

Mayo lad is Conor Heneghan? Definitely Conor anyway

spuds

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 26, 2018, 05:26:28 PM
Quote from: Beffs on July 26, 2018, 05:16:19 PM

I didn't say the pundits should only be former players. (Although I can see why that might have been inferred.) I said his analysis wasn't good enough to make up for the fact that he himself isn't a former intercounty player and the others all are. Malachy Clerkin and Vincent Hogan are not intercounty players either, but they are able to provide excellent analysis and, participate very well in podcasts in ways that Conan doesn't. He just seems out of his depth imo.

Mayo lad is Conor Heneghan? Definitely Conor anyway
That's him, from Kiltimagh.  Find him a good pundit.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard