Ryle Nugent steps down as RTE Head of Sport

Started by Jinxy, February 26, 2018, 04:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: seafoid on February 26, 2018, 07:39:49 PM
Under Ryle Nugent Meath became a shadow of its former self. Even women have no fear of Meath now.
The Nugent years also saw brutal tankings of the soul of Irish sport, the Republic of Oireland soccer team.

That's sexist.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Main Street

Even Louth shouldn't fear Meath .

I don't see what Ryle did to the GAA, at least nowhere close to what he did to rugby commentary.
RTE with only 2 channels is not equipped to provide a GAA broadcast service that the public demand. RTE have a mandate to the general public  and have to spread around resources to different sports.

Like many people I like the diversity with GAA broadcasts. We are seeing more league matches broadcast in their entirety, TG4's excellent quality economy of scale broadcasts, plus eirsport Saturday nights under lights. The schedule of broadcasts can only increase in years to come. The standard of league football is competitive and compelling, the attendances and atmosphere are very good.
And Monaghan are still in div one, thank you Ryle.

Rossfan

Ah but what about Eugene McGee's mate who can't see any Leitrim NFL games on TV?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

All i can say is, I admire Leitrim man's desire to follow his county in a visual manner, no matter how low the standard the county is competing at and without success. We can't put that on Ryle can we?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Main Street on February 27, 2018, 12:01:41 AM
All i can say is, I admire Leitrim man's desire to follow his county in a visual manner, no matter how low the standard the county is competing at and without success. We can't put that on Ryle can we?

No that is Sky and their paywall's fault.
#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

How many Leitrim games were shown live on
1 -RTÉ or other free to air Channels
2 -Sky or eirsport.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Seany

I would have no problem with any of that, but the reason the SKY deal exists is because RTE couldn't be trusted to pay the GAA what the games are worth.  Selling games packages is a bit like selling a house - it is only worth what two competing bidders are prepared to pay.  Until Sky entered the arena as serious contenders, RTE were their usual stagnant, complacent selves and they have upped their price and the quality of their coverage significantly since SKY came in.  However, there is still a bad memory in the GAA  of when RTE were the only player in town, and the GAA actually had to PAY RTE for the right to show the four games they used to show every year.  Therefore, the GAA will not take any lessons from current RTE pundits who are complaining that there is a paywall for some games.  The only reason that SKY is in the field is because RTE would not properly show the games, or pay the money they were worth.  If you want a good up to date version of that story, just look at League Sunday - a rehash of games already shown by TG4 and Eir, no coverage of any other game, apart from a couple of cameras at the other 2 Div. 1 games, a bit of studio analysis and commentators who don't even go to the games, but do them from RTE.  If they were serious about it, RTE would have 1 - Bid against Eir for the Saturday night package, but they didn't and 2 - Show how serious they are by sending a proper OB outfit to the 2 games on a Sunday not covered by TG4 and do a major fifteen minute segment on them, complete with analysis.  But they don't...  Goodbye Ryle. 

magpie seanie

Quote from: Seany on February 27, 2018, 11:46:45 AM
I would have no problem with any of that, but the reason the SKY deal exists is because RTE couldn't be trusted to pay the GAA what the games are worth.  Selling games packages is a bit like selling a house - it is only worth what two competing bidders are prepared to pay.  Until Sky entered the arena as serious contenders, RTE were their usual stagnant, complacent selves and they have upped their price and the quality of their coverage significantly since SKY came in.  However, there is still a bad memory in the GAA  of when RTE were the only player in town, and the GAA actually had to PAY RTE for the right to show the four games they used to show every year.  Therefore, the GAA will not take any lessons from current RTE pundits who are complaining that there is a paywall for some games.  The only reason that SKY is in the field is because RTE would not properly show the games, or pay the money they were worth.  If you want a good up to date version of that story, just look at League Sunday - a rehash of games already shown by TG4 and Eir, no coverage of any other game, apart from a couple of cameras at the other 2 Div. 1 games, a bit of studio analysis and commentators who don't even go to the games, but do them from RTE.  If they were serious about it, RTE would have 1 - Bid against Eir for the Saturday night package, but they didn't and 2 - Show how serious they are by sending a proper OB outfit to the 2 games on a Sunday not covered by TG4 and do a major fifteen minute segment on them, complete with analysis.  But they don't...  Goodbye Ryle.

Well put and largely what I think myself. And the argument about the ould guys who can't see the games is moot as there were very few games on TV up until recently. Easytiger might disagree with the points about sending OB units to other matches but I'm sure there's money wasted in RTE that could be better spent on things like this. RTE are reaping what they sowed and to be fair to Ryle the rot was in a long time before he took over.

Jinxy

If the TV rights were up for grabs this year, how much more would RTE be willing and able to pay given that they have lost the rugby and soccer?
Or, is it not that simple i.e. that money is gone or has been diverted elsewhere.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Seany on February 27, 2018, 11:46:45 AM

For the first Sky deal there was no difference between what they offered and what TV3 offered. Also RTE's primary package they want to purchase is the main one they currently have and they know there isn't a chance the GAA will sell that to Sky due to the heat they are getting at the moment. The only credible opponents RTE have for the main package is TV3 at the moment, not Sky. Agree that Sky have forced RTE to up their game and they are still nowhere near serious enough about their offerings.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Main Street

I think TV3 would have offered stiffer competition to RTE than Sky does currently. As it stands now, Sky viewership in Ireland is a piddle, a fraction of what TV3 garnered.
Competition had already been a factor before Sky entered the fray and seeing as they aped the TV3 model,
Irish residents have not seen that much quality benefit since.
When RTE face Sky  head to head, just how many of the Irish viewer with a choice will still choose the rte broadcast?
As UK residents already had access (Premier Sports) to all 100 championship games broadcast for GBP10 /month, they now have to pay triple that to get the same service.

During Ryle's time, RTE's big gain was with their share  of the streaming rights via the GAAGO service.

Seany

Just one problem with TV3.  Viewers in Ni cannot get that station, so Ireland's second city would not get to watch GAA games.  Imagine the furore about that!  Part of the GAA deal with BBC initially was that BBCNI would be able to get the games into areas not covered by RTE in the analogue days.  Then, BBC did all the games, including the Ai and semi finals, regardless who was in it.

rosnarun

I think the days of sporting events , apart from finals on mainstream TV are pretty much dead.
the colonization by soccer weeknights on RTE 2/TV3 is ridiculous . 3 or 4 hours of pure shite from teams most would not cross the road to watch followed by hours of filler by grumpy auld bastards phoning it in and even then people complain the right match was not on.
its very unfair to license payers with no interest what so ever in sport and  shaktar  V Maribor in particular
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

seafoid

Quote from: Seany on February 27, 2018, 02:53:46 PM
Just one problem with TV3.  Viewers in Ni cannot get that station, so Ireland's second city would not get to watch GAA games.  Imagine the furore about that!  Part of the GAA deal with BBC initially was that BBCNI would be able to get the games into areas not covered by RTE in the analogue days.  Then, BBC did all the games, including the Ai and semi finals, regardless who was in it.
TV3 is not export quality.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

Quote from: Seany on February 27, 2018, 02:53:46 PM

Think of all the quality programming they're missing out on.