Where now for Tyrone?

Started by bennydorano, August 27, 2017, 07:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: bennydorano on August 27, 2017, 10:30:41 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 27, 2017, 10:03:42 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2017, 09:09:37 PM
Tyrone might be looking at a decade or longer of mediocrity. The thing about being hammered at the business end is that it is often career ending. System meltdown is not good.

1 bad game. 1! What is it with gaa and overreaction to losing a championship match. 2017 has been decent. Back to back Ulsters at a canter, staying up in div1 and a semi final would have been a good enough year most years.
As an Armagh fan I really hope Tyrone proceed with the attitude that it was just one bad day at the office and leave everything the same.

If Tyrone losing a game late in the championship is the only thing that gives you your jollies then things are worse than I thought for Armagh. As bad as Derry.

Wildweasel74

In front of Parsons or Fenton, it wouldn't happen

RedHand88

Quote from: Mikhailov on August 27, 2017, 11:12:46 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 27, 2017, 11:07:56 PM
Think Colm and Harte the only possibles. Would love to see Colm get one.

1 all star possibility - Colm.

Con O'Callaghan put an end to Hampsey hopes....

Regrettably agree. Maybe t mccann but it's a very outside chance.

Itchy

Quote from: ONeill on August 27, 2017, 10:56:11 PM
Quote from: longballin on August 27, 2017, 10:54:54 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 27, 2017, 10:51:15 PM
We just need someone else to beat Dublin.

... and Mayo and Kerry

No I think Tyrone would handle both.

You're deluded, Tyrone would not beat Mayo anyway. Kerry a bit like Tyrone, talked up too much.

ONeill

Quote from: Itchy on August 27, 2017, 11:46:59 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 27, 2017, 10:56:11 PM
Quote from: longballin on August 27, 2017, 10:54:54 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 27, 2017, 10:51:15 PM
We just need someone else to beat Dublin.

... and Mayo and Kerry

No I think Tyrone would handle both.

You're deluded, Tyrone would not beat Mayo anyway. Kerry a bit like Tyrone, talked up too much.

What's the difference from last year?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Throw ball

Colm Cavanagh should not be near an All Star given that tackle today.

If Tyrone continue to play this system they will continue  to come up short. On the other hand the system has proven it can beat teams that they are physically superior to. If Tyrone are happy to win Ulster for the next few years they can continue to play this way. On the other hand have they got the man markers or the forwards to beat teams playing football? Proving they do may lead to taking a step back for a while.

Puckoon

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 27, 2017, 10:40:14 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on August 27, 2017, 10:04:52 PM
Imagine. Another manager of any other county who hadnt reached an AI Final after 3 or 4 years of him in charge and then they ship a humiliating defeat in an AI Semi Final...he'd be out the door. Tyrone haven't reached an AI Final since 2008 and still Mickey hangs on...wtf
The cult of Mickey is too strong. He's like Wenger - he hasn't the humility to slip out the door and the powers that be don't have the balls to deal with him. The board need to dispense with nostalgia, thank him for the memories and tell him his time is up.

For whom?

Tiernan McCann has to win an all star this year.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Puckoon on August 28, 2017, 01:35:22 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 27, 2017, 10:40:14 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on August 27, 2017, 10:04:52 PM
Imagine. Another manager of any other county who hadnt reached an AI Final after 3 or 4 years of him in charge and then they ship a humiliating defeat in an AI Semi Final...he'd be out the door. Tyrone haven't reached an AI Final since 2008 and still Mickey hangs on...wtf
The cult of Mickey is too strong. He's like Wenger - he hasn't the humility to slip out the door and the powers that be don't have the balls to deal with him. The board need to dispense with nostalgia, thank him for the memories and tell him his time is up.

For whom?

Tiernan McCann has to win an all star this year.

I thought him, Harte and Colm would be shoe ins

Fat Angry Motorist

Cavanagh shouldn't be anywhere near an all star after that violence on the pitch yesterday.
Give cyclists plenty of room.  It's the rules I tells ya!

bennydorano

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 27, 2017, 11:16:37 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on August 27, 2017, 10:30:41 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 27, 2017, 10:03:42 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2017, 09:09:37 PM
Tyrone might be looking at a decade or longer of mediocrity. The thing about being hammered at the business end is that it is often career ending. System meltdown is not good.

1 bad game. 1! What is it with gaa and overreaction to losing a championship match. 2017 has been decent. Back to back Ulsters at a canter, staying up in div1 and a semi final would have been a good enough year most years.
As an Armagh fan I really hope Tyrone proceed with the attitude that it was just one bad day at the office and leave everything the same.

If Tyrone losing a game late in the championship is the only thing that gives you your jollies then things are worse than I thought for Armagh. As bad as Derry.
I hope the Myopia is as as systemic as your attitude.

seafoid

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 27, 2017, 10:56:28 PM
Find some tall scoring forwards in the county would be a must for Tyrone. Bradley too small and no support to count against big strong teams, Play McClure at midfield next year, play Donnelly either 6 or 11 where he can influence a game, find a full back line that are capable of marking 1 on 1 like the Mayo defenders, nail down a excellent free taker and most importantly change your style of player to play 3/4 forwards up front and get back to playing attacking football with class
It will take at least 5 years for such a reboot to produce a decent team. It takes ages for team groupthink to develop.  Dublin have been running the machine for a decade. Mayo have at least 7 years of data.
The best time for Tyrone to start playing with scoring forwards was 5 years ago.

Welcome to the real world.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

omagh_gael

Can't see Harte getting the chop or being forced out just yet. Yesterday confirmed to us in no uncertain fashion that the current approach is totally redundant and will only get us past teams lower down the pecking order. However, there is a huge amount of evidence that playing a more orthodox system would still allow us to get to the level we are currently at.

All sights now set at the 2018 NFL and I'll be extremely pissed off if we still persist with the one man up front dung.

RedHand88

Is there a date yet for the NFL or championship 2018 draws?

Il Bomber Destro

A change of approach may happen but what will it inevitably achieve?

I don't think it will have us much closer to winning an All Ireland than today. Tyrone were physically and athletically dominated by Dublin yesterday.

Are there really any players outside the current squad that will make that much of an impact. I'm sure there will be calls for the likes of Coney and McNulty to be used as a target man type forward but both are badly lacking in the mobility needed for the game today. Have we really any better man markers than what played today in the county? Possibly young McKernan will get a call up today but realistically he's about 3 or 4 years of gym work off being able to man mark one of the Dublin lads yesterday.

It took yesterday to dawn on me how far ahead Dublin are of everyone else. Mayo have been the only side who look like they can match them physically and athletically in the past few years.

square_ball

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 28, 2017, 10:10:39 AM
A change of approach may happen but what will it inevitably achieve?

I don't think it will have us much closer to winning an All Ireland than today. Tyrone were physically and athletically dominated by Dublin yesterday.

Are there really any players outside the current squad that will make that much of an impact. I'm sure there will be calls for the likes of Coney and McNulty to be used as a target man type forward but both are badly lacking in the mobility needed for the game today. Have we really any better man markers than what played today in the county? Possibly young McKernan will get a call up today but realistically he's about 3 or 4 years of gym work off being able to man mark one of the Dublin lads yesterday.

It took yesterday to dawn on me how far ahead Dublin are of everyone else. Mayo have been the only side who look like they can match them physically and athletically in the past few years.

That's the bottom line - there are very few other players in the county that are capable of coming into that squad (not just man markers) and as you say it takes a few years to get up to intercounty level unless you are exceptional like O'Callaghan for the Dubs. A lot of our players were shown up yesterday as being decent county players but way short of that elite level. I think a change in approach would get us to the same stage as this year as standards are poor elsewhere but we are absolutely miles off the Dubs. That 2nd choice forward line they showed on the Sunday game last night was frightening.