Where now for Tyrone?

Started by bennydorano, August 27, 2017, 07:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Quote from: redhandefender on September 06, 2017, 04:02:25 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on September 06, 2017, 03:19:38 PM
Is it impossible for Tyronies to respond on topic to a post without reference to how shite the other poster's own county is? Childish & tiresome whataboutery.

Someone from another county starts a thread about tyrone on the main board so that a queue can line up to have a dig at them.

Yes you turkey expect me to go on the offensive if you are having a go!

And I will always call hypocrisy, a man from Sligo slating the way tyrone play football, please God!

Sorry, I didn't realize you had to be from the big 4 or Tyrone to comment on Tyrone.  The discussion board is for posters to post an opinion and that is what I have done. I have another opinion that I think I will keep to myself.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

punt kick

Quote from: seafoid on September 06, 2017, 12:17:09 PM
They should make Mickey director of Football or Something. He needs to be involved with the team. But he shouldn't be the only one with ideas

Trueblie is in recruitment he could get him the job.  ;D

APM

Quote from: AhNowRef on September 06, 2017, 06:03:55 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 06, 2017, 03:51:36 PM
I know it was. It was gut wrenching. But we were beat by a far better team. It happens in football. I don't believe any other manager would have gotten us any closer to Dublin. They are a level above everyone at the minute in my opinion. I would be surprised to see them not run out 5 point victors against Mayo (Sorry Mayo lads, and I sincerely hope I'm wrong).
I think we are all playing for second place at the minute as I think Dublin will continue to get stronger.

Am I the only one who thinks that the Dubs arent exactly as "unbeatable" as everyone is making out ?

We were "absolute sh1te" on the day, we stood off them, never laid a hand on them .. We would have made anyone look good...
Maybe Im wrong but I honestly dont think they're all they're being cracked up to be .. very good yes but still overrated IMHO.

Mayo for SAM  :o

You're not the only one who thinks that!!!  Much as I hate to say it, Tyrone didn't turn up for the game.  No intensity and as you say stood off them.  For a number of the Dublin scores, I felt Tyrone players were within blocking distance, but they didn't seem to have the stomach for it.  Play the same game a week later and it would have been a tighter result.  Dublin haven't been tested all year and great and all as they are, I don't know if they'll be ready for the absolute hunger and physicality that Mayo will bring to the table in the final. Genuinely think Mayo are in with a great shout and they definitely won't fear the Dubs. 

Surprised though that Harte has been given 3 years.  If Tyrone regress next year, there'll be some row in the bushes. 

Il Bomber Destro

Happy enough for Harte to stay on.

The style of football doesn't bother me as long as its getting the best out of the players available to him, which I think he is. I'd like to see a few defenders given a run next year and see if we can be a little bit more aggressive and on the front foot in what we're doing.

Unfortunately we're really lacking in big talented inside forwards which makes us very predictable. Coney has had his chances as has Niall McKenna, I don't think McNulty has the mobility to be effective in the very big games. Apart from that I don't think there is any other real options. I think Ronan O'Neill lacks the pace to be a top forward and McCurry looks like a player bereft of confidence the past two years, perhaps a year out might do him the world of good.

I'd like to see the squad freshened up in some ways.

We're badly lacking in size now with Justy and Sean Cavanagh stepping away so we'll need to add a few big physical lads back into the mix. How has Conor Clarke being doing with Omagh?

BennyHarp

Quote from: APM on September 06, 2017, 07:16:30 PM
Quote from: AhNowRef on September 06, 2017, 06:03:55 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 06, 2017, 03:51:36 PM
I know it was. It was gut wrenching. But we were beat by a far better team. It happens in football. I don't believe any other manager would have gotten us any closer to Dublin. They are a level above everyone at the minute in my opinion. I would be surprised to see them not run out 5 point victors against Mayo (Sorry Mayo lads, and I sincerely hope I'm wrong).
I think we are all playing for second place at the minute as I think Dublin will continue to get stronger.

Am I the only one who thinks that the Dubs arent exactly as "unbeatable" as everyone is making out ?

We were "absolute sh1te" on the day, we stood off them, never laid a hand on them .. We would have made anyone look good...
Maybe Im wrong but I honestly dont think they're all they're being cracked up to be .. very good yes but still overrated IMHO.

Mayo for SAM  :o

You're not the only one who thinks that!!!  Much as I hate to say it, Tyrone didn't turn up for the game.  No intensity and as you say stood off them.  For a number of the Dublin scores, I felt Tyrone players were within blocking distance, but they didn't seem to have the stomach for it.  Play the same game a week later and it would have been a tighter result.  Dublin haven't been tested all year and great and all as they are, I don't know if they'll be ready for the absolute hunger and physicality that Mayo will bring to the table in the final. Genuinely think Mayo are in with a great shout and they definitely won't fear the Dubs. 

Surprised though that Harte has been given 3 years.  If Tyrone regress next year, there'll be some row in the bushes.

The clubs ratified him quite clearly so why would there be trouble if Tyrone regress? Imagine the reaction if the forced Mickey out and we regressed. Don't let the loud ones on here sway you into thinking there's a major revolt happening against Mickey - the performance v Dublin was bad but they are a serious team and on the whole we have made progress over the past 12 months. Anyway, the clubs voted and he is staying. I'm personally happy enough but I do think we need to use the three years to formulate some sort of succession plan.
That was never a square ball!!

trueblue1234

Quote from: punt kick on September 06, 2017, 07:15:58 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 06, 2017, 12:17:09 PM
They should make Mickey director of Football or Something. He needs to be involved with the team. But he shouldn't be the only one with ideas

Trueblie is in recruitment he could get him the job.  ;D

Badum tshhhhhh
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Owen Brannigan

mcklatchee

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 06, 2017, 07:25:42 PM

The style of football doesn't bother me as long as its getting the best out of the players available to him, which I think he is. I'd like to see a few defenders given a run next year and see if we can be a little bit more aggressive and on the front foot in what we're doing.

Unfortunately we're really lacking in big talented inside forwards which makes us very predictable. Coney has had his chances as has Niall McKenna, I don't think McNulty has the mobility to be effective in the very big games. Apart from that I don't think there is any other real options. I think Ronan O'Neill lacks the pace to be a top forward and McCurry looks like a player bereft of confidence the past two years, perhaps a year out might do him the world of good.

We're badly lacking in size now with Justy and Sean Cavanagh stepping away so we'll need to add a few big physical lads back into the mix. How has Conor Clarke being doing with Omagh?

Agree about giving a few defenders a run out. Maybe drop Bradley and bring in a defender. And now that Sean has retired maybe bring in a more defensive minded player for that role
If you must ask a difficult question, ask someone else in 5 years time. I have a 5 yr plan you know

Hotrocks

Quote from: redhandefender on September 06, 2017, 04:02:25 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on September 06, 2017, 03:19:38 PM
Is it impossible for Tyronies to respond on topic to a post without reference to how shite the other poster's own county is? Childish & tiresome whataboutery.

Someone from another county starts a thread about tyrone on the main board so that a queue can line up to have a dig at them.

Yes you turkey expect me to go on the offensive if you are having a go!

And I will always call hypocrisy, a man from Sligo slating the way tyrone play football, please God!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

yellowcard

Quote from: mcklatchee on September 06, 2017, 09:31:02 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 06, 2017, 07:25:42 PM

Agree about giving a few defenders a run out. Maybe drop Bradley and bring in a defender. And now that Sean has retired maybe bring in a more defensive minded player for that role

So instead of playing a 1-13-1 formation, simply shut up shop and revert to a 1-14-0 formation. With the added caveat that Cavanaghs replacement is not allowed cross the halfway line.

ose 14

tyrone may have won ulster but i actually think we were better last year. ulster is crap at the minute longford no disrespect beat down and monaghan last year. tyrone will not win another sam under mr conservative. hes the cheaper option at the minute for a team thats going to be rudderless next year on the pitch with all the old heads gone.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: ose 14 on September 07, 2017, 05:43:16 AM
tyrone may have won ulster but i actually think we were better last year. ulster is crap at the minute longford no disrespect beat down and monaghan last year. tyrone will not win another sam under mr conservative. hes the cheaper option at the minute for a team thats going to be rudderless next year on the pitch with all the old heads gone.

As bad as you say Ulster is, it still had 5 of the last 12 in the Championship this season.

There's a big gap between Dublin, Mayo Kerry and Tyrone - the results over the past three years have shown that and it's widened in that time rather than narrowed. And there's a big gap now opening up between Dublin and the rest, to be fair to Mayo they have competed admirably against Dublin and have never feared them but if Dublin go out and win the final with more comfort this time round, it's very worrying for the future of the game.

People who continually moan about defensive systems and style of football really get my back up. The All Ireland is competitive football, it is not exhibition football, teams are going about themselves in the way that they best believe can make them successful or competitive at the least. It goes without saying Dublin are a fearsome side, but with the advantages they have in terms of resources -financial and playing numbers, local employment, Croke Park being their de facto home ground.

The real death knell about about gaelic football right now is one side which always had superior natural advantages which no other side can come close to matching have managed to get their structures in order and as a result will dominate for time to come.

So those lamenting defensive football can shove it, it's something that's been borne out of bigger problem.

WT4E

Is the question not where now for the rest? Dublin are so far ahead its getting scary as it shows no sign of slowing down. The way I see it:

Dublin

Mayo
Kerry

Tyrone

The Rest

Something needs to be addressed on structures or financing of teams.
If Dublin beat Mayo out the gate in the final will this have been the worst Football Championship ever played?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: WT4E on September 07, 2017, 09:07:36 AM
Is the question not where now for the rest? Dublin are so far ahead its getting scary as it shows no sign of slowing down. The way I see it:

Dublin

Mayo
Kerry

Tyrone

The Rest

Something needs to be addressed on structures or financing of teams.
If Dublin beat Mayo out the gate in the final will this have been the worst Football Championship ever played?
Yep. There was always a gap between many teams in the championship anyway, and the tiresome retort that no amount of money would make the likes of us competitive (aside from the few times that we were) is thrown out, but when the gap is not merely widening from the top teams to the minnows but is growing within the top echelon itself there is a problem. I don't want either team to win the final, but perhaps a thumping Dublin victory might be the catalyst for serious discussion about where the whole thing is headed.

Zulu

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 07, 2017, 07:42:49 AM
Quote from: ose 14 on September 07, 2017, 05:43:16 AM

As bad as you say Ulster is, it still had 5 of the last 12 in the Championship this season.

There's a big gap between Dublin, Mayo Kerry and Tyrone - the results over the past three years have shown that and it's widened in that time rather than narrowed. And there's a big gap now opening up between Dublin and the rest, to be fair to Mayo they have competed admirably against Dublin and have never feared them but if Dublin go out and win the final with more comfort this time round, it's very worrying for the future of the game.

People who continually moan about defensive systems and style of football really get my back up. The All Ireland is competitive football, it is not exhibition football, teams are going about themselves in the way that they best believe can make them successful or competitive at the least. It goes without saying Dublin are a fearsome side, but with the advantages they have in terms of resources -financial and playing numbers, local employment, Croke Park being their de facto home ground.

The real death knell about about gaelic football right now is one side which always had superior natural advantages which no other side can come close to matching have managed to get their structures in order and as a result will dominate for time to come.

So those lamenting defensive football can shove it, it's something that's been borne out of bigger problem.

That's nonsense in fairness. Sport the world over can be played competitively and entertainingly, it doesn't have to be dross to be competitive. I hate the way Tyrone play as it's awful to watch but I can understand Carlow or the like playing it but when Tyrone play like that against teams inferior to them then the sport itself is damaged. Earlier in the year the likes of yourself and some others were telling us all that at least the Ulster counties don't roll over and have a defensive plan to stifle the Dubs, well that proved to be the nonsense some of us told you it was.

We've already seen this year that football played properly is still a wonderful spectacle, the best in world sport for my money. Tyrone can compete playing more expansive football, you've some of the best players in Ireland, and if you back yourselves then you'll compete with anyone. You mightn't beat the Dubs too often but you'll never again beat them playing 14 behind the ball so surely it's better to entertain your fans on the journey?