Drive for five!!!

Started by DUBSFORSAM1, September 02, 2018, 05:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

rodney trotter

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 03, 2018, 07:40:12 PM
Quote from: Erne Man on September 03, 2018, 07:33:41 PM
I think Dublin will win their fifth in succession with the same comfort they won this year.
The challenge thereafter will be if Gavin calls it a day, but more critically Cluxton. I imagine both their appetites will be sated with that place in the record books.
The additional loss of experience from the bench McAuley, Flynn, Andrews etc will bring them closer to the chasing pack.
The problem is that there is a gap which will remain with the rest, bar probably Kerry.

It is likely that Dublin / Kerry will win 7/8 out of the next 10 - with the odd miracle win making up the difference.

You seriously think Kerry will be a threat? Based on what? a few decent Minor teams?

Was minor success the template for the current Dublin side? Do any of them have even Leinster Minor medals?

Dublin hammered Meath in Leinster Minorf final in 2011. They were beaten by a last gasp goal by Tipperary in the All Ireland final.
Plenty of players from yesterday team and extended panel came through from that team. Mannion, McCaffrey, Costello, Kilkenny, Small, Scully, Lowndes, O Conaghaile.

Erne Man

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 03, 2018, 08:23:36 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 03, 2018, 07:40:12 PM
Quote from: Erne Man on September 03, 2018, 07:33:41 PM
I think Dublin will win their fifth in succession with the same comfort they won this year.
The challenge thereafter will be if Gavin calls it a day, but more critically Cluxton. I imagine both their appetites will be sated with that place in the record books.
The additional loss of experience from the bench McAuley, Flynn, Andrews etc will bring them closer to the chasing pack.
The problem is that there is a gap which will remain with the rest, bar probably Kerry.

It is likely that Dublin / Kerry will win 7/8 out of the next 10 - with the odd miracle win making up the difference.

You seriously think Kerry will be a threat? Based on what? a few decent Minor teams?

Was minor success the template for the current Dublin side? Do any of them have even Leinster Minor medals?

Dublin hammered Meath in Leinster Minorf final in 2011. They were beaten by a last gasp goal by Tipperary in the All Ireland final.
Plenty of players from yesterday team and extended panel came through from that team. Mannion, McCaffrey, Costello, Kilkenny, Small, Scully, Lowndes, O Conaghaile.

Who else can seriously challenge Dublin, other than Kerry? I think winning 5 All Ireland minor titles in a row guarantees them a decent quality and volume of player coming through. I think over the next 10yrs they will be the main challengers.
None of the others in my view have the player numbers to make a serious dent on the dominance - or to sustain a challenge over 1 or 2 seasons.
As I said there may be the odd bolter, but if the Super 8 format continues even that is unlikely - given that traditionally the best chance for a bolter was if the top 2 met in a semi.

Blowitupref

One minor All Ireland for Dublin since 1984 its fair to say they don't put the same focus on that grade as Kerry recently. U21 meanwhile All Irelands was won in 2010,2012,2014,2017 and 12 of yesterday starting 15 came from those 4 All Ireland U21 winning teams. 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 03, 2018, 09:13:43 PM
One minor All Ireland for Dublin since 1984 its fair to say they don't put the same focus on that grade as Kerry recently. U21 meanwhile All Irelands was won in 2010,2012,2014,2017 and 12 of yesterday starting 15 came from those 4 All Ireland U21 winning teams.

This Kerry are probably good at identifying talent for minors, Dublin are brilliant at developing players for Senior aided by the highest standard club game in the country. Kerry have probably fallen into the trap of picking big players at under age ignoring the smaller player with a bigger ceiling. They have yet to transfer minor success into u20/u21 and have missed out on 3 already. Their last one was 2008, Dublin have annexed 4 since 2010. Dublin had a decent minor team in 2017 will be interesting to see how they have progressed as u20s next year
#newbridgeornowhere

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 04, 2018, 02:03:12 PM

This Kerry are probably good at identifying talent for minors, Dublin are brilliant at developing players for Senior aided by the highest standard club game in the country. Kerry have probably fallen into the trap of picking big players at under age ignoring the smaller player with a bigger ceiling. They have yet to transfer minor success into u20/u21 and have missed out on 3 already. Their last one was 2008, Dublin have annexed 4 since 2010. Dublin had a decent minor team in 2017 will be interesting to see how they have progressed as u20s next year

Those Kerry minor teams have been taller and stronger than any other team they've played during that period, can't think of too many lads under 6 ft the last few years. They haven't won a game outside of munster at u20/21 levels so I wouldn't be getting too carried away with Kerry. I doubt the likes of Murchan would have made a Kerry minor team the last few years.

There's no doubt Kerry are going to get some exceptional talents out of those sides but they'd have a lot more cause for optimism if they'd won 3 out of the last 5 u21/u20 All Ireland titles.

Hound

A key for Kildare and Meath will be keeping lads interested, keeping them in the club game and keeping them pushing for places in the senior set up, even if they don't get picked straight away.

Kev Mac is such an important cog for Dublin, on the bench all the time since 2011, yet still plugging away and putting pressure on the lads in the team. And unsung lads like Darren Daly the very same. So much easier to do that when travel time is relatively small and chances of success is high.

It is interesting that Dublin got so many players from one underage team, even though that team didn't win, you've got a core of lads to build on the 2011 success. That's been a big part of the 4 in a row. The Tyrone team of the noughties was similar. The Meath Giles team was the same, the Galway AI winners, and also the Westmeath and Laois teams that won Leinster. And actually the Dublin 2011 team had at its core the previous very good Dublin U21 team, Alan Brogan's team.

Be interesting if Mayo could get 4 or 5 of their U21 team to come through together in a year or two.

Of course even more examples where U21 success led nowhere!

Hound

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 04, 2018, 02:18:59 PM

Those Kerry minor teams have been taller and stronger than any other team they've played during that period, can't think of too many lads under 6 ft the last few years. They haven't won a game outside of munster at u20/21 levels so I wouldn't be getting too carried away with Kerry. I doubt the likes of Murchan would have made a Kerry minor team the last few years.

There's no doubt Kerry are going to get some exceptional talents out of those sides but they'd have a lot more cause for optimism if they'd won 3 out of the last 5 u21/u20 All Ireland titles.
Another thing I just thought of re size, that Tipp side that beat the Ciaran Kilkenny side was a top class side and bigger and stronger than the Dubs if I remember correctly. And as you rightly point out, Kerry minor winning teams have tended to be big lads.

I doubt Dublin's policy in that time was to favour good small lads in favour of good big lads because they have a higher ceiling. It's wrong to say Dublin haven't concentrated in minor just because we haven't been successful. Each minor manager has being going all out to win, and many have been sacked with a shower of abuse for not doing it!  Losing to Meath and Kildare at any level is not pleasant or desirable, never mind Wicklow.

I wonder if many of our potential good big minors aren't off playing rugger, thus leaving more room for the smaller lad.

TheGreatest

Syferus

Quote from: Hound on September 04, 2018, 03:15:12 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 04, 2018, 02:18:59 PM

Another thing I just thought of re size, that Tipp side that beat the Ciaran Kilkenny side was a top class side and bigger and stronger than the Dubs if I remember correctly. And as you rightly point out, Kerry minor winning teams have tended to be big lads.

I doubt Dublin's policy in that time was to favour good small lads in favour of good big lads because they have a higher ceiling. It's wrong to say Dublin haven't concentrated in minor just because we haven't been successful. Each minor manager has being going all out to win, and many have been sacked with a shower of abuse for not doing it!  Losing to Meath and Kildare at any level is not pleasant or desirable, never mind Wicklow.

I wonder if many of our potential good big minors aren't off playing rugger, thus leaving more room for the smaller lad.

Not many Dublin supporters know minor exist, nevermind hail managers with abuse for not winning in it.