All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Dublin haven't been great this year either. They lost their league title and could have found themselves level against Kildare with 20 to go if Kildare took their easy goal chance. Dublin will be favourites of course but Mayo will take them on and play a few forwards up front.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on August 27, 2017, 06:27:28 PM
Dublin haven't been great this year either. They lost their league title and could have found themselves level against Kildare with 20 to go if Kildare took their easy goal chance. Dublin will be favourites of course but Mayo will take them on and play a few forwards up front.

Yet they have won every single match pulling up.

Sin é. The curse isn't ending in 2017.

trileacman

Whilst mayo will play different to Tyrone I don't see a different outcome to today's result. Coc is off form from play and more so frees this year and Moran is carrying the ff line. Dublin will give  him none of the room Kerry afforded him so that will shut down the mayo ff line. Mayo have more quality defenders to pick up the dub ff line but keegan is struggling since the ros replay and Aos doesn't usually have barnstorming finals.

Mayo struggled with Kerry kick outs the first day and Dublin do kick outs better than any team I've ever seen so it's hard to see them upsetting dublins possession
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Zulu

Mayo have a great chance. They are significantly better than Tyrone at the moment and unlike Tyrone, they'll ask the Dublin players questions by taking them on. They'll defend players and not simply fill space. If I was a Tyrone man I'd be disgusted today because you had a chance today if you didn't tie yourself to a system that never had a chance of being successful.

Mayo4Sam14

The majority of Dubs subs would walk into the mayo team
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

straightred

Quote from: Zulu on August 27, 2017, 06:45:11 PM
Mayo have a great chance. They are significantly better than Tyrone at the moment and unlike Tyrone, they'll ask the Dublin players questions by taking them on. They'll defend players and not simply fill space. If I was a Tyrone man I'd be disgusted today because you had a chance today if you didn't tie yourself to a system that never had a chance of being successful.

The only reason mayo are still in it is that they haven't played this dublin team yet. I'm coming round to the idea that this is the best team i've seen in the flesh ever (and i'm no spring chicken). Tactically it will play out different the next day but the outcome will be a comfortable dublin win

Wildweasel74

mayo have taken this team twice to replays in recent years

GalwayBayBoy

It'll be a better game than today anyway although that wouldn't be hard. Very difficult to pick against Dublin though. I think they are playing better than last year.  McCaffrey is back. O'Callaghan is a huge plus for them. Their bench is ridiculous, Connolly, Brogan, McManamon, MDMA, etc.

It's Mayo's power and athleticism that allows them to hang with Dublin but the Dubs just have so much running ability and firepower in them this year. And their defence is not the Kerry defence. Andy Moran won't be in 4 or 5 yards of space every time the ball comes his way. I just don't see them being stopped to be honest.

Zulu

Quote from: straightred on August 27, 2017, 06:57:59 PM

The only reason mayo are still in it is that they haven't played this dublin team yet. I'm coming round to the idea that this is the best team i've seen in the flesh ever (and i'm no spring chicken). Tactically it will play out different the next day but the outcome will be a comfortable dublin win

Dublin may well win but I doubt it will be comfortable. Dublin didn't beat Mayo comfortably last year so why would they do it this year?

Zulu

Dublin are a great team but Tyrone made it easy for them. Con O'Callaghan is obviously a great player in the making but he, and the other Dublin forwards, will be marked by good defenders in the final. On the other side of the field the Dublin defenders will actually have forwards to mark. Mayo's only problem is the scoring power of their forwards, give them Paul Geaney and I'd have them favourites for the final.

Wildweasel74

Mayo have the best defence in the country but that a serious Dublin forward line and a even more serious bench, thought Flynn showed the form of 3-4yrs ago today

Zulu

I don't think you could read too much into Flynn's cameo as the game was up and some Tyrone players probably just wanted the game over.

Dublin will be favourites and rightly so but Mayo 1-9 are their equal. The Mayo forwards aren't a great scoring forward line but they are all very good footballers and Doherty and Moran are having great seasons.

straightred

Quote from: Zulu on August 27, 2017, 07:05:51 PM
Quote from: straightred on August 27, 2017, 06:57:59 PM

Dublin may well win but I doubt it will be comfortable. Dublin didn't beat Mayo comfortably last year so why would they do it this year?
because they are better this year than last year and also because I think they have timed it better this year. They didnt take the league seriously at all and they have gradually ramped it up. They only started defending with intensity in the 1/4 final and again today. The discipline in the tackle was great - gave away few frees. Mayo did well from frees last year but those frees will be harder earned now. Who knows - maybe mayo will get some of the luck they haven't got in previous finals but I just can't see beyond the dubs

Zulu

They'll definitely be favourites and it would be hard to back against them but today was as much about how bad Tyrone were as it was about how good Dublin were. I'm labouring the point now but the only way Tyrone had to attack was run the ball and Dublin were always be going to handle that. Tyrone's system meant Dublin weren't asked questions at either end of the field. I expect Mayo will make many of the Dublin players look a whole lot more ordinary than they did today.