Kilkenny

Started by seafoid, May 04, 2016, 04:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

The cats are back ...glad I got on them at 7/1 ...Easy money!!
LAOIS ABÚ

nrico2006

Tipp were missing quite a few key players though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

seafoid

Worth remembering

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/jamesie-oconnor-kilkenny-look-more-comfortable-with-their-new-style-of-play-but-tipp-have-the-greater-weapons-36785160.html?utm_source=outbrain_top_drawer&utm_medium=outbrain&utm_campaign=Outbrain On Site
With the new championship format, unearthing fresh talent and solid back-up players was always going to be a priority this spring. Tipperary will play four championship matches in the space of 21 days, so the depth of their panel - and everyone else's - is going to be tested. Hence the greater level of experimentation than was previously the case.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on April 10, 2018, 11:02:58 AM
Worth remembering

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/jamesie-oconnor-kilkenny-look-more-comfortable-with-their-new-style-of-play-but-tipp-have-the-greater-weapons-36785160.html?utm_source=outbrain_top_drawer&utm_medium=outbrain&utm_campaign=Outbrain On Site
With the new championship format, unearthing fresh talent and solid back-up players was always going to be a priority this spring. Tipperary will play four championship matches in the space of 21 days, so the depth of their panel - and everyone else's - is going to be tested. Hence the greater level of experimentation than was previously the case.

That's where I think Clare and Cork will come unstuck as you just don't see the quality after the first 15.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/clare-s-intricate-passing-game-proves-too-much-for-kilkenny-1.3780850

Clare's intricate passing game proves too much for Kilkenny
Kevin Kelly punished a succession of untidy defensive fouls to keep his team in the contest
Sun, Feb 3, 2019, 18:59 Updated: Sun, Feb 3, 2019, 19:04
Keith Duggan

Clare's John Conlon scored 1-1 against Kilkenny. Photograph: Lorraine O'Sullivan/Inpho
AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email AppShare to LinkedInShare to PinterestShare to RedditShare to WhatsApp

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email AppShare to LinkedInShare to PinterestShare to RedditShare to WhatsApp

Clare 2-20 Kilkenny 1-22
The crowd in Cusack Park seemed to be over the rugby loss in quick time. A heavy lunch time down pour dampened neither the local enthusiasm nor the appetite of the athletes to produce an entertaining end-to-end romp of exceptionally high quality for early February.
Afterwards, the Clare crowd exited Ennis slightly puzzled as to how they only won by a single point. Kevin Kelly's audacious free gave Kilkenny a goal in the 75th minute but time denied Kilkenny the opportunity to further worry the locals.
Clare were powerful and aggressive in the air, worked several wonderful second half points with their intricate passing game and allowed the Kilkenny forwards nothing like the space they enjoyed against Cork. But they gave Kelly a chance to produce an all but immaculate performance from the placed ball, punishing a succession of untidy defensive fouls with 1-11, including that late goal.
Ger Aylward was bright and sharp with every possession he got and saw a brilliant strike ricochet off the post in the ninth minute as the Cats raced into a 0-5 to 0-2 lead.
Instead, it was Clare who found the net first, with John Conlon capitalising on a break on one of the many long, direct balls delivered to the Kilkenny fullback line. Huw Lawlor responded impressively to a hugely busy role with little cover, combative in the air and cool in his decision making under heavy scrutiny from Clare's hard-working forwards. Paddy Deegan, John Donnelly and Conor Fogarty contested everything relentlessly as Kilkenny kept chasing and almost-catching Clare's lead from the 20th minute on. That lead fluctuated: in the 52nd minute, Shane Golden's point put them 2-16 to 0-14 clear but Kilkenny's stay-going quality meant that the match never felt over.
The introduction of Padraig Walsh gave the visitors additional forward thrust over the last half hour and they reeled off four points on the trot to regain the momentum going into the last 10 minutes.
!
!

Blue Billywig Video Player"There wasn't a whole lot in the game - the two goals were crucial for them," said Brian Cody. "It kept that bit of a gap between us but it was competitive all the way."
It was certainly that. But in the midst of the heavy industry, Clare offered sublime glimpses. Ian Galvin was an impossible handful for Kilkenny's defence, Peter Duggan and Diarmuid Ryan offered reliable outlets for Clare's powerful defensive runners, David Fitzgerald and Conor Cleary.
Golden's imposing physical presence and aerial ability gave Clare a good hold around the middle and his return, after a full hurling year ruined with injury setbacks, deepens Clare's options.
Podge Collins' 48th minute goal started with a surge out of defence from Rory Hayes and a brilliant pass from Galvin which Collins controlled superbly before letting fly from the left side to beat Eoin Murphy. A minute later, Galvin set up Ryan with a sweet little flick and Clare seemed were in flow.
"Yeah, they played well" Gerry O'Connor said of Galvin and Ryan.
"But to be honest the guy that impressed me most was Shane Golden. I think if you look at the amount of possessions Shane had and, looking at the stats, Shane had a phenomenal game. I don't really like picking out everyone in particular but Diarmuid had a tough night at the office in Thurles and he bounced back. That's what you are looking for; can these guys withstand the test and pressure over five league games."
Pipping Kilkenny eases a little of that pressure, although Clare have enjoyed good league fortunes against the stripy men in the O'Connor/Moloney era. Their one nagging concern is that they couldn't fully put Kilkenny away. Time and time again they were punished for hauling and dragging Aylward, the menacing Billy Ryan and John Donnelly, who repeatedly turned nothing into something for Kilkenny. Afterwards, Gerry O'Connor said that Clare have a fortnight now to work on their tackling prior to their engagement with Cork, leading to further discussions about the controversial straight red card for which Tony Kelly missed this game.
"We've looked back at the video several times. It didn't look like a red to me, I'll be honest with you. I'll be amazed if the same red card was given in three months time when we start into the Munster championship."
There was enough promise and physical presence and hunger in this performance to give Clare supporters reason to anticipate the summer with eagerness. But on a so-so day for Kilkenny, they still managed to take a match right to the wire.
"They'll be on everyone's radar to be up there for whatever is given out at the end of the year," Brian Cody said of Clare.
"They showed that last year when they were only a stone's through away from it."
CLARE: 1 D Touhy; 20 R Hayes, 3 D McInerney, 4 J Browne; 7 C Malone, 6 C Cleary, 26 D Fitzgerald; 8 S Golden (0-2) 21 C Galvin (0-3); 10 D Ryan (0-3), 17 P Collins (1-0), 12 P Duggan (0-6, 5 frees, 65); 13 C Guilfoyle (0-1), 14 J Conlon (1-1), 22 I Galvin (0-2).
Substitutes: 25 G Cooney (0-1) for 13 C Guilfoyle (53 mins), 9 R Taylor for 22 I Galvin (60 mins), 2 J McCarthy for 20 R Hayes (64 mins), 19 N Deasy (0-1 free) for 12 P Duggan (66 mins), 18 M O'Malley for 21 C Galvin (69 mins),
KILKENNY: 1 E Murphy; 2 P Murphy, 3 H Lawlor, 4 T Walsh; 5 C Delaney (0-1), 6 P Deegan, 7 E Morrissey; 8 J Maher (0-2), 9 C Fogarty (0-1); 10 J Donnelly (0-1), 11 G Aylward (0-3), 12 M Keoghan; 13 B Ryan (0-2), 14 K Kelly (1-11, frees), 15 R Leahy.

Milltown Row2

Kilkenny missing TJ and that is a big enough loss, in fairness to Kelly, I don't think he missed a free, but TJ has more to him than frees, when he is involved in a game he can pick out runners and generate goal opportunities.. was a decent game and glad it was on before the football match.

A very good outing for both teams. Clare still a very good team, though when the number 2 came on for Clare (McCarthy I think) he gave away free after free, was like a div 4 club hurler!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

shark

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 05, 2019, 01:29:29 PM
Kilkenny missing TJ and that is a big enough loss, in fairness to Kelly, I don't think he missed a free, but TJ has more to him than frees, when he is involved in a game he can pick out runners and generate goal opportunities.. was a decent game and glad it was on before the football match.

A very good outing for both teams. Clare still a very good team, though when the number 2 came on for Clare (McCarthy I think) he gave away free after free, was like a div 4 club hurler!

Yeah I really don't think he is a corner-back. Think he played midfield at u21 level. Ryan looks like a find for Clare - was very impressive. His point at the end of the first half when Cleary pinged a ball out to him on the sideline was fantastic.

johnnycool

Quote from: shark on February 05, 2019, 01:40:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 05, 2019, 01:29:29 PM

Yeah I really don't think he is a corner-back. Think he played midfield at u21 level. Ryan looks like a find for Clare - was very impressive. His point at the end of the first half when Cleary pinged a ball out to him on the sideline was fantastic.

McCarthy was just on the field after replacing Rory Hayes who'd a decent enough outing in the corner but had just received a yellow card for persistent fouling himself.

I counted 4 easy frees that Kelly pointed from the two lads who seem to panic when their opponent gets the ball. Defending is as much about what you do without the ball as with it and the Clare backs in general are inclined to give up a serious amount of frees for needless fouls.

seafoid

Shefflin on the drive for 5

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/henry-shefflin-says-dublin-will-feel-the-heat-of-five-in-a-row-1.3870488

Nine years on from Kilkenny's defeat to Tipperary in the 2010 All-Ireland hurling final, the lost chance to win that record fifth successive All-Ireland, Shefflin admits Dublin will find themselves under pressure unlike any other, and it's only a matter of time until they realise it.
"I think once it gets to the end, when we get to August or the end of July with the football, that's when the real heat will come on, and that's when it does come into your mind," says Shefflin.
"Up to now it's there, it's in the ether. But I think once you get to the semi-final stage then players' minds come into focus more that that is there. It'll be interesting to see how they manage it."
After losing that 2010 All-Ireland, Shefflin came back to win another three titles with Kilkenny, bringing his tally to a record 10; last March he made it All-Ireland number 14, managing his club Ballyhale Shamrocks to the title he had also won three times as a player.
He suggests part of the challenge for Dublin and Jim Gavin is balancing the motivation with the expectation. "It was a huge motivation for me, definitely," adds Shefflin, speaking in Croke Park at the launch of the Bank of Ireland Celtic Challenge.

"Sure I tried to play [the 2010 final] with no cruciate, and that wasn't a very smart move. Dublin will take it one game at a time, but that's my point. At the early stages it's one game in a row, but then I think once you get to that intensity, and you can see the grandstand finish coming up, that's when it comes more into focus.
"Especially with it being Dublin, the media attention will absolutely sky-rocket.  But, look, they have a good manager, similar to Brian Cody in terms of being able to keep that low key, and the players seem to do that as well. 

"It's about the panel of players as well, and the development of that panel of players is very important. That's the reason we were successful with the club, we had that bit of youth who brought that bit of freshness and enthusiasm to the older players as well, so we got that balance right.
Sometimes when you are going on a successful run you can stay with what you're doing, and it can get a bit stale and that's when you get found out."

johnnycool

Eoin Murphy out with an injury in a club game would be a huge blow for Kilkenny.

Where they're at in their development means getting out of Leinster is not a formality especially if Dublin continue to improve under Matty Kenny.

If Cody doesn't make the top three in Leinster then I can see him going.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on April 26, 2019, 09:47:52 AM
Eoin Murphy out with an injury in a club game would be a huge blow for Kilkenny.

Where they're at in their development means getting out of Leinster is not a formality especially if Dublin continue to improve under Matty Kenny.

Top 3 should be doable this year

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on April 26, 2019, 10:05:42 AM

It won't be straight forward though.

Who's your three?

KK
Galway
Wexford or the Dubs.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on April 26, 2019, 10:53:16 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 26, 2019, 10:05:42 AM

It won't be straight forward though.

Who's your three?

KK
Galway
Wexford or the Dubs.

KK
Galway
Perhaps the Dubs

I think the cat brand is still worth 4 points in a tight match against a developing team.