Kerry V Tyrone Fodder AISF 23rd August 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 02, 2015, 04:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Tough break for JOD, hope he recovers

If there's one team who can handle the loss, it's kerry

Lar Naparka

I don't think Kerry are home and hosed just yet, not by a long shot. Sure, they were very impressive the last day but don't forget that Cork should have beaten them in the Munster final.
They have still to face top-class opposition and neither Dublin nor Mayo are going to back down if they meet them and the loss of James O'Donoghue is a big blow.
I won't be putting me teddy bear back in the attic for another year just yet!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

beer baron

Dubs win the All Ireland,only a Fitzmaurice masterplan on the day has any hope of stopping it,can't believe the Dubs are as big odds now as they were 6 months ago  :o All the better says I  :D

ballinaman

Quote from: Tubberman on August 03, 2015, 09:40:03 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on August 03, 2015, 08:10:56 AM
Confirmation that O'Donoghue dislocated his shoulder. Same shoulder that he had stabilisation surgery on after the AI last year. Very rare for it go after stabilisation surgery.
Massive impact on him for the rest of the year both physically and mentally.

Is that the same as the most recent surgery Cillian O'Connor had on his?
Yeah, might not be the exact same but similar I reckon.

Sidney

Quote from: ballinaman on August 03, 2015, 08:10:56 AM
Confirmation that O'Donoghue dislocated his shoulder.
Great news. Hopefully he won't play again this year.

blanketattack

Good news - JOD's injury not that serious.
Still think Dublin way ahead of Kerry. Kerry have only impressed in 1 game this year, and that mainly in 2nd half, Dublin have done it in every game this year.
Once off thrashings don't indicate future success e.g. Mayo v Donegal 2013, Kerry v Cork 02 and 05, Meath v Kerry 01, Cork v Donegal 09,

ballinaman

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/2/0308150727-kerry-wait-on-news-of-odonoghue-injury/

Examiner had it wrong this morning so ::) or would you believe the latest .

MRI not completed yet from reading that gaa.ie link.may have done a bit of damage but not full dislocation. It's very rare to dislocate again after the stabilisation surgeries they are doing these days.

The Aristocrat

Looks like Kerry are back to the 2006/07 level now, best panel and best bench in the country and with being on the easier side of the draw no doubt they will be in the final. One would say, another handy all Ireland for them. 

Keyboard Warrior

Scary the abundance of talent Kerry have at their disposal this year.

rrhf

Disappointed for the lad..Went down very hard on a newly laid pitch .  You would hope that the pitch isn't more dangerous than it was before sheeran

thewobbler

Some OTT, and then some some on this thread.

Yes Kerry were super clinical yesterday, and it's that very attitude which tends to make the difference for them.

But if that match yesterday was to be compared to a street brawl, it was like a prime middleweight boxer picking on a fat kid who doesn't do fighting, then goading him to throw a few punches, then battering the living shit out of him, then standing on his head for good measure, then emptying a rubbish can around his flaccid form.

We learned nothing about Kerry, apart from that they're still a prime middleweight. Anything that happened in the last 25 minutes should be eroded from memory as Kildare spent that time lying in a pool of their own faeces.

Barry John Keane scored his normal season's tally in one half of football ffs.

- - -

It can be hard to work out formations from TV angles, but yesterday it seemed that Kildare's tactics were:

1 up front.
1 on the opponent's 45.
7 in a straight line between halfway and the Kildare 65.
2 marking space, and never a man, nowhere near their full back line.
3 full backs.

Whatever it was, I've never seen a team with less understanding of how to contain opposition attacks. It was horrible.

JoG2

Quote from: thewobbler on August 03, 2015, 01:25:27 PM
Some OTT, and then some some on this thread.

Yes Kerry were super clinical yesterday, and it's that very attitude which tends to make the difference for them.

But if that match yesterday was to be compared to a street brawl, it was like a prime middleweight boxer picking on a fat kid who doesn't do fighting, then goading him to throw a few punches, then battering the living shit out of him, then standing on his head for good measure, then emptying a rubbish can around his flaccid form.

We learned nothing about Kerry, apart from that they're still a prime middleweight. Anything that happened in the last 25 minutes should be eroded from memory as Kildare spent that time lying in a pool of their own faeces.

Barry John Keane scored his normal season's tally in one half of football ffs.

- - -

It can be hard to work out formations from TV angles, but yesterday it seemed that Kildare's tactics were:

1 up front.
1 on the opponent's 45.
7 in a straight line between halfway and the Kildare 65.
2 marking space, and never a man, nowhere near their full back line.
3 full backs.

Whatever it was, I've never seen a team with less understanding of how to contain opposition attacks. It was horrible.

you can have whatever formation you think will do a job, but if you don't have the players willing to put the shoulder to the wheel, its redundant. How do you think the famed Donegal formation would work if the players had the same heart as those Kildare players yesterday?

thewobbler

I agree with you JoG2.

Formations only matter if players understand their roles and are willing to execute the plan.

I'd lay 90% of the blame for this on player effort. But there are basically two main "modern" defensive systems. The better teams mix and match them, and my point about Kildare is that yesterday they seemed unaware of either.

One is to try to isolate an opponent, then press in numbers and hit them as hard you can, drawing a turnover, a foul or a momentum-killing retreat. Yesterday Kildare put almost no pressure on Kerry taking the ball out of defence.

The other is to protect the D, so that if anyone lays hands on a ball within 35m of goal, they are set upon, and the defence moves with the ball. Your opponents are generally forced to recycle the ball out of the D for a shooting opportunity, or get coughed up. Yesterday, Kildare's sweepers provided absolutely no protection against a direct ball in, and worse again, were never available to double-up on Kerry forwards after the ball was won. Instead they seemed to be marking an imaginary line just past their own 45.

blanketattack

With Kerry v Derry in the minors, if its Kerry v Tyrone in the seniors, could that mean we'll see the Derry supporters cheering for Tyrone and Tyrone supporters cheering for Derry?

Jinxy

Kerry will not dominate the middle third to that extent against any of the teams left.
They had the time & space to kick it in any which way they wanted.
I actually felt sorry for the Kildare defenders in the 1st half.
Individually they were doing quite well but there was so much quality ball coming in they were on a hiding to nothing.
If you were any use you'd be playing.