Which county?

Started by 30mog, May 10, 2014, 02:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

30mog

As a newbie.  Can anyone give me a brief explanation on how a player in GAA becomes eligible for a particular county?  Or provide a link that explains?

I am guessing club affiliation, birthplace and residency all feature? 

Can a player appear for more than one county in a career?

Is there a pathway to the All-Ireland competitions for a player with no Irish blood in London say?  Or perhaps a Polish immigrant in Belfast, Cork or Dublin?

mylestheslasher

In general you play for the club in the town/parish where you live. You then play for the county you were born in. That's the case in 90% of the cases I'm guessing. There is a transfer system in the GAA which is far from perfect but it is really designed to accommodate players that have moved from their original town or parish. For example, if I were born in Cavan Town I might play football for Cavan Gaels at club level and if good enough for the Cavan county team.If work brought me to Dublin I could put in a transfer to move to a Dublin club. The two clubs and county boards could object to this if they felt I was not genuine in the reasons for moving. I could also then play for county Dublin if they picked me or continue with Cavan, so yes it is possible to play for 2 counties but such moves come under a lot of scrutiny so are not that common, probably only 4/5 current players have done it.

For a newcomer you would just go and join any club really since you have no history anywhere else but of course it would be easier to join your local one. A guy from new Zealand joined my club a number of years ago and an English guy too. You could then play for your local county. I'm not sure how it works in the UK, whether someone from say Birmingham could declare for London. London are currently the only route into the all Ireland series from the UK.

Hope that helps.

30mog

All that sounds logical.

Main Street

That might appear logical  but not complete, we are missing the name of  Seanie Jonson

There is a transfer system.. Seanie Jonson ...in the GAA which is far from perfect  Seanie Jonson  but it is really designed to accommodate players Seanie Jonson  that have moved from their original town or parish. For example,  if I  Seanie Jonson were born in Cavan Town I might play football for Cavan Gaels at club level and if good enough for the Cavan county team.If work brought me  Seanie Jonson to Dublin I Seanie Jonson could put in a transfer to move to a Dublin club. The two clubs and county boards could object to this if they felt I Seanie Jonson was not genuine in the reasons for moving. I Seanie Jonson could also then play for county Dublin if they picked me Seanie Jonson or continue with Cavan, so yes it is possible to play for 2 counties but such moves come under a lot of scrutiny so are not that common, probably only 4/5 current players have done it.

one more time  ...... Seanie Jonson
There's only one Seanie Johnson.

orangeman

And if it were. OT to work out for Johnny, he can go back to where he started again. But at least he'll have got to play a few minutes hurling in the mean time.

BennyCake

Quote from: Main Street on May 10, 2014, 11:22:33 PM
That might appear logical  but not complete, we are missing the name of  Seanie Jonson

There is a transfer system.. Seanie Jonson ...in the GAA which is far from perfect  Seanie Jonson  but it is really designed to accommodate players Seanie Jonson  that have moved from their original town or parish. For example,  if I  Seanie Jonson were born in Cavan Town I might play football for Cavan Gaels at club level and if good enough for the Cavan county team.If work brought me  Seanie Jonson to Dublin I Seanie Jonson could put in a transfer to move to a Dublin club. The two clubs and county boards could object to this if they felt I Seanie Jonson was not genuine in the reasons for moving. I Seanie Jonson could also then play for county Dublin if they picked me Seanie Jonson or continue with Cavan, so yes it is possible to play for 2 counties but such moves come under a lot of scrutiny so are not that common, probably only 4/5 current players have done it.

Jonson? Is Seanie Swedish or what? Cousin of Ulrika maybe?

Shrewdness

Of course, some counties have players from other counties playing for them. A prime example of this would be Mayo in the West of Ireland. They regularly play players from other counties on their underage and senior teams. As an example, there is a town in their beautiful and magnificent neighbouring county of Co. Roscommon. The town is called Ballaghaderreen. Yet Mayo regularly use players from that town to play for them. The current Mayo captain, Andy Moran, is a prime example.. Tom Parsons hails from Co. Sligo, but plays for Mayo.. Many leading Gaa figures from Mayo were born elsewhere. Donal Vaughan in Cork, Aidan O'Shea in Mullingar, probably his brother Seamus too. Even their manager, James Horan was born in New Zealand!!..So for the man who started this thread, the Gaa can be a very complex animal.

Hardy

Sure Kilkenny plays for Dublin.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BennyCake on May 11, 2014, 01:19:48 AM
Quote from: Main Street on May 10, 2014, 11:22:33 PM

Jonson? Is Seanie Swedish or what? Cousin of Ulrika maybe?

Poor effort at comedy too.

ballinaman

Quote from: Shrewdness on May 11, 2014, 08:26:55 AM
Of course, some counties have players from other counties playing for them. A prime example of this would be Mayo in the West of Ireland. They regularly play players from other counties on their underage and senior teams. As an example, there is a town in their beautiful and magnificent neighbouring county of Co. Roscommon. The town is called Ballaghaderreen. Yet Mayo regularly use players from that town to play for them. The current Mayo captain, Andy Moran, is a prime example.. Tom Parsons hails from Co. Sligo, but plays for Mayo.. Many leading Gaa figures from Mayo were born elsewhere. Donal Vaughan in Cork, Aidan O'Shea in Mullingar, probably his brother Seamus too. Even their manager, James Horan was born in New Zealand!!..So for the man who started this thread, the Gaa can be a very complex animal.
While a rossie is a very simple animal...baaa

Flutehook

Quote from: Hardy on May 11, 2014, 09:18:06 AM

Back in the 80s Tony and Ollie Kilkenny hurled for Galway while Michael Galway played for Kilkenny!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Shrewdness on May 11, 2014, 08:26:55 AM

I think the reason for the above are referred to as "the Prenty bye laws"  ;D

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Flutehook on May 12, 2014, 01:26:40 AM
Quote from: Hardy on May 11, 2014, 09:18:06 AM

Back in the 80s Tony and Ollie Kilkenny hurled for Galway while Michael Galway played for Kilkenny!

Busy man that fellow, played a bit of football for Kerry as well before the egg chasing.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Flutehook

"Busy man that fellow, played a bit of football for Kerry as well before the egg chasing."

Think he was a wey rather than a way!

The Kilkenny Galway is pictured in attached at page 24 of linked yearbook - a classic of its era and type by the way!

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/Yearbooks/1985.pdf