Time to Split Dublin

Started by Dont Matter, September 22, 2013, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it right that Dublin got 7 million to implement a plan to dominate the GAA World?

Yes
42 (29%)
No
103 (71%)

Total Members Voted: 145

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 25, 2013, 03:52:43 PM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on September 25, 2013, 03:48:58 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on September 25, 2013, 03:45:33 PM
Quote from: DoireGael on September 25, 2013, 03:42:30 PM
Split Dublin.......Split Kilkenny.....Split Kerry......Split Michael Schumacher.....Ludicrous

http://imgur.com/gallery/3Nolu

You're a bit slow.
would you be happy if a South Dublin team was contesting an all ireland final with a Dublin North team?
Would you object to small counties amalgamating?
Do you know that kildare has roughly the same number of adult players as Dublin ?
What county are you from btw?

Yes if they were competing fairly unlike the current Dublin team.
I see no reason for small counties amalgamating.
Again Kildare finances needs to be looked at but start a new thread on that if you want. They didn't get 7 million however.
Laois.
i mentioned nothing about kildares finances
With all this investment you claimed has gone into Dublin they still have roughly the same number of adult players playing Gaelic football as a county with less than 1/6th of the population. Hardly an advantage!
Also how would you cater for the destruction of over 100 years of county tradition in Dublin ?

Bingo

I'd actually go a step further and introduce Dublin as a new province and split the county in 8 different franchises, each competing for the Dublin provincal title, loser go into qualifiers.

Think about it:

North County Dublin Farmers V Inner City Steelers (see the pun)
Northside Howya's V Southside Okkkkay's
Liffey Valley 69ers V South County Dublin 3.99ers

But the crowning glory will be the two teams for the Ex-pats

Meath/Louth Commuters V Kildare/Wicklow ITers.

Its the future.

Dont Matter

Quote from: Johnnybegood on September 25, 2013, 03:57:18 PM
With all this investment you claimed has gone into Dublin they still have roughly the same number of adult players playing Gaelic football as a county with less than 1/6th of the population. Hardly an advantage!
Also how would you cater for the destruction of over 100 years of county tradition in Dublin ?

I'm not saying Dublin should be split because they have a higher population. I'm saying they should be split because they received huge money to implement a plan that has guaranteed them success. This is unfair an that's why they should be split.
The people in charge of Dublin GAA were happy to accept the money, Dublin GAA fans were happy to be bought titles, now they have to be happy with the inevitable; Dublin must be split.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Donnellys Hollow

Split Dublin.......Split Kilkenny.....Split Kerry......Split Michael Schumacher.....Ludicrous

You're a bit slow.
would you be happy if a South Dublin team was contesting an all ireland final with a Dublin North team?
Do you know that kildare has roughly the same number of adult players as Dublin ?

Is there a source out there for those figures just out of interest?

Kildare has 16 senior football clubs, 16 intermediate and 9 competing in the junior championship. 3 other junior clubs Ardclough, Athgarvan and Kildangan did not enter the championship this year.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

deiseach

Quote from: Bingo on September 25, 2013, 04:01:38 PM

Trips off the tongue!

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 25, 2013, 04:03:44 PM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on September 25, 2013, 03:57:18 PM

I'm not saying Dublin should be split because they have a higher population. I'm saying they should be split because they received huge money to implement a plan that has guaranteed them success. This is unfair an that's why they should be split.
The people in charge of Dublin GAA were happy to accept the money, Dublin GAA fans were happy to be bought titles, now they have to be happy with the inevitable; Dublin must be split.
i can see the logic in your argument and I don't agree with it As it would be detrimental to the gaa overall!
The so called money was needed to encourage kids to play the game in a county where other sports are number 1 unlike rural counties where gaa is  top dog which gives them an unfair advantage!
The next step for the gaa and the Irish and British government is to invest time money and energy into breaking down the bigotry the exists up the north and include the people of unionist persuasion to take part in our games
You haven't answered my question on how you would tackle the issue of over 100 years of county tradition in Dublin ?

Bingo

Quote from: deiseach on September 25, 2013, 04:08:15 PM
Quote from: Bingo on September 25, 2013, 04:01:38 PM

Trips off the tongue!

How about Meuth Commuters V Wickdare ITEers

Dont Matter

Quote from: Johnnybegood on September 25, 2013, 04:16:54 PM
i can see the logic in your argument and I don't agree with it As it would be detrimental to the gaa overall!
The so called money was needed to encourage kids to play the game in a county where other sports are number 1 unlike rural counties where gaa is  top dog which gives them an unfair advantage!
The next step for the gaa and the Irish and British government is to invest time money and energy into breaking down the bigotry the exists up the north and include the people of unionist persuasion to take part in our games
You haven't answered my question on how you would tackle the issue of over 100 years of county tradition in Dublin ?

The current situation is detrimental to the GAA overall. Not everyone is competing on an equal footing, surely this can't last.
Why do you keep saying stuff like 'the so called money'?
I have told you, I wouldn't split Dublin for population advantages etc so whatever advantages you perceive that other counties have are irrelevant.
Unionists are free to compete, again this has nothing to do with this thread.
They will have to form a new tradition as the inevitable must happen.
Peter Quinn

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 25, 2013, 04:06:04 PM

You're a bit slow.

Kildare has 16 senior football clubs, 16 intermediate and 9 competing in the junior championship. 3 other junior clubs Ardclough, Athgarvan and Kildangan did not enter the championship this year.

That's a bizarre claim. Kildare has 90 teams playing league football across 7 divisions. Dublin has 192 teams playing across 12 Divisions.

Can we have some sources to back up your claim?
#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

If Dublin with 1.2 m has the same number of adults playing Gaelic games as Kildare with 200k then surely the Dublin County Board is not fit for purpose and is not doing much to promote Gaelic games.
I believe that if there were 4 Co Boards in Dublin each of them would do more in their own areas - even if it was only to get the better of their neighbours.
Look at Kildare - of the 5 big towns there the ones that have 2 clubs - Leixlip and Newbridge  I suspect have greater proportion of people playing Gaelic games than Naas, Celbridge or Maynooth each of whom have only one club.
I was working for a Roscommon man up that way when the Confey Club was formed in the "new" part of Leixlip - he was one of the founders. The existing Leixlip club moved heaven and earth to stop the new club but failed. Now there are 2 good clubs there so everyone's a winner.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 25, 2013, 04:30:00 PM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on September 25, 2013, 04:16:54 PM

The current situation is detrimental to the GAA overall. Not everyone is competing on an equal footing, surely this can't last.
Why do you keep saying stuff like 'the so called money'?
I have told you, I wouldn't split Dublin for population advantages etc so whatever advantages you perceive that other counties have are irrelevant.
Unionists are free to compete, again this has nothing to do with this thread.
They will have to form a new tradition as the inevitable must happen.
my point is that that money was needed to increase the player percentage in Dublin to place the county on an equal footing with rural counties. Splitting Dublin would be a backward step. Also you posted a link for a newspaper article during the year that Dublin would recieve money to invest in underage structures yet when pressed on it you couldn't back it up with details of the money being recieved and what it was actually spent on hence the so called money !
If you have a problem with points on unionism and rural counties amalgamating being discussed due to their relevance to this thread then you strike me as someone who basically has a negative agenda!
Unionist are free in name to take part in our games but we all know the truth in this regard therefore are the six counties at a disadvantage?

Jinxy

We'll split them next year.
Split them good.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Jinxy on September 25, 2013, 04:46:57 PM
We'll split them next year.
Split them good.
now that's why us Dubs have great respect for the Royals

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Rossfan on September 25, 2013, 04:32:15 PM

If Dublin with 1.2 m has the same number of adults playing Gaelic games as Kildare with 200k then surely the Dublin County Board is not fit for purpose and is not doing much to promote Gaelic games.
I believe that if there were 4 Co Boards in Dublin each of them would do more in their own areas - even if it was only to get the better of their neighbours.
Look at Kildare - of the 5 big towns there the ones that have 2 clubs - Leixlip and Newbridge  I suspect have greater proportion of people playing Gaelic games than Naas, Celbridge or Maynooth each of whom have only one club.
I was working for a Roscommon man up that way when the Confey Club was formed in the "new" part of Leixlip - he was one of the founders. The existing Leixlip club moved heaven and earth to stop the new club but failed. Now there are 2 good clubs there so everyone's a winner.
i would have no problem with Dublin having a 2 maybe 3 boards but when it comes to representing the county at national level I would be against more than one team

Dont Matter

Quote from: Johnnybegood on September 25, 2013, 04:42:29 PM
my point is that that money was needed to increase the player percentage in Dublin to place the county on an equal footing with rural counties. Splitting Dublin would be a backward step. Also you posted a link for a newspaper article during the year that Dublin would recieve money to invest in underage structures yet when pressed on it you couldn't back it up with details of the money being recieved and what it was spent on hence the so called money !
If you have a problem with points on unionism and rural counties amalgamating being discussed due to their relevance to this thread then you strike me as someone who basically has a negative agenda!
Unionist are free in name to take part in our games but we all know the truth in this regard therefore are the six counties at a disadvantage?

The money was mostly used to improve the playing standard of Dublin in football and hurling, elite squads with elite coaches and top level equipment and facilities.
I don't have the details of the plan, I can't tell you about the specifics.
Those things are irrelevent to this thread. This is about Dublin being bought success.
Start a new thread about unionism.
Peter Quinn