Hurling puts football in the shade

Started by Wildweasel74, August 11, 2013, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: hardstation on July 31, 2018, 10:38:32 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 31, 2018, 10:20:30 AM
https://m.soundcloud.com/sportsjoe-gaa-hour/standard-weekend-2-draws-1-winner-1-replay-123-points-7-goals

The fun starts at about 22:40
There is something wrong with people who get annoyed by someone tweeting that hurling is the best game in the world.

Conor Cusack, Donal ogs brother tweets "Those villages, towns, cities & counties that don't practice hurling, forget about your football biases. You exist in a country that has the greatest sport on earth. Can you imagine your people being a part of a phenomenal weekend of sport like this #hurling #godsgame @tomas5ky"

BennyHarp

https://m.soundcloud.com/sportsjoe-gaa-hour/standard-weekend-2-draws-1-winner-1-replay-123-points-7-goals

There is something wrong with people who get annoyed by someone tweeting that hurling is the best game in the world.

Aye but some of those tweets are so laughable they are fair game to be called out as bullshit.
That was never a square ball!!

Milltown Row2

Once they tweak the Championship for next year it may result in better games! There should be a bit of a break inbewteen
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyHarp

Quote from: hardstation on July 31, 2018, 10:57:38 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 31, 2018, 10:45:15 AM

Aye but some of those tweets are so laughable they are fair game to be called out as bullshit.
If you really believe that is a worthwhile thing to do, tear away.

I couldn't care less either way to be honest but if one form if social media makes tweets like that then people shouldnt be surprised when another form of social media calls it out as bullshit. Either way it's just people trying to get attention. Is anything worthwhile on forums? Is you getting annoyed at people getting annoyed at people tweeting, worthwhile?
That was never a square ball!!

johnnycool

Quote from: hardstation on July 31, 2018, 11:07:15 AM
I'm not annoyed. I find their behaviour strange.
Saying hurling is not the best game in the world is the same as saying it is.
Both statements are as bullshitty as the other.

Correct, what you like and don't like is purely personal taste and subjective.

Utter nonsense discussions by both those porporing one and those dismissing them.

An exercise in futility if there ever was one.

tippabu

Quote from: hardstation on July 31, 2018, 11:07:15 AM
I'm not annoyed. I find their behaviour strange.
Saying hurling is not the best game in the world is the same as saying it is.
Both statements are as bullshitty as the other.

Its all just a load of shite....if someone is saying it's the best game in the world, then to them it's the best game in the world and stating a fact. Last weekend was unreal and I'm sure like a lot of people there were texts, whatsapps, tweets whatever flying, it was hard not to get caught up in it. It was a brilliant weekend and it's a bit sad to see grown men arguing over if it's the best sport in the world or whatever. Hopefully monaghan Galway and Tyrone Donegal will be just as entrawling this weekend

johnnycool

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 30, 2018, 01:02:25 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 30, 2018, 12:27:27 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 30, 2018, 11:58:25 AM
Anyone like to offer reasons why hurling is currently better than football? My own take

1. Easier to score, 75m in as opposed to 35m in and skills level have really improved make the execution of scoring from distance far easier
2. Not tactically taxing mainly because of 1, a zonal defence for example would not work
3. The way it's reffed, very hard to win a free while in possession so you keep moving the ball and very easy to switch play 50m with one pass, whereas in football very easy to win a free while in possession, which slows down the game and very hard to switch play with one pass, normally needs to 2 or 3 passes.
4. Chicken or egg but majority of games played in a ground that suits the attendance, which ensures atmosphere which feeds onto the pitch, no coincidence that super 8 round 2 was miles better than round 1

You're like me when I'm watch the tour de france. All I can see is lads cycling their wee legs off but I can admit to not having the first clue about the nuances of the sport!

Enlighten me so because Cork  continuously driving the ball into the far right hand side is hardly rocket science.

Don't just take my word on it.

Here's the Tipp minor manager dissecting the Clare Galway game;

http://www.the42.ie/clare-galway-tommy-dunne-analysis-4154973-Jul2018/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

magpie seanie

As with everything it seems these days things are either awesome or dreadful. No middle ground.

The hurling at the weekend was really good. Very exciting and clearly the 4 sides emptied themselves in pursuit of a place in the final. Loads of scores, some great skills, physicality and bravery. There were also 73 wides. 3 of the 4 teams hit as many wides as they scored from play. There were mistakes and there were questionable tactics. It was far from perfect. Knowing the way of the world these days that'll probably make people mad but there you go.

One great benefit hurling has over football is the way it's refereed. I'd love to say a Maurice Deegan and a David Gough do the hurling semis and hurling refs do the football semis. Guarantee the football would be better than expected and the hurling would be poorer. Football might never be the spectacle that hurling is but it is unnecessarily being killed by the way it is officiated.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 31, 2018, 05:19:31 PM
As with everything it seems these days things are either awesome or dreadful. No middle ground.

The hurling at the weekend was really good. Very exciting and clearly the 4 sides emptied themselves in pursuit of a place in the final. Loads of scores, some great skills, physicality and bravery. There were also 73 wides. 3 of the 4 teams hit as many wides as they scored from play. There were mistakes and there were questionable tactics. It was far from perfect. Knowing the way of the world these days that'll probably make people mad but there you go.

One great benefit hurling has over football is the way it's refereed. I'd love to say a Maurice Deegan and a David Gough do the hurling semis and hurling refs do the football semis. Guarantee the football would be better than expected and the hurling would be poorer. Football might never be the spectacle that hurling is but it is unnecessarily being killed by the way it is officiated.

I referee football matches like hurling, in a way. I basically let a lot more go, end result means there are more handbags and slabbering! Players take things way to personal in football compared to hurling, I firmly believe players would like it to be non contact with the amount of calling they do for fouls..

There's more diving to the ground to get the ball and if it doesn't come up they are looking a free! More mouthing, and the more a team mouths off to the refs they won't win those fifty fifty calls, human nature and all that I assume.

On Sunday how many times was the ball moved forward for talking back to the referee? There is a bit more respect, though I've had my moments when I wondered will I get to my car ok!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

I'm not gonna say hurling is the best sport in the work as I don't think it so. However, I'd find it hard to see a better match in any sport than when hurling is played between two top teams who are both on their game, like the games at the weekend

tippabu

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 31, 2018, 08:06:37 PM
I'm not gonna say hurling is the best sport in the work as I don't think it so. However, I'd find it hard to see a better match in any sport than when hurling is played between two top teams who are both on their game, like the games at the weekend

depends where you work, if youre working outdoors and have plenty space it can be the best sport in the work, obviously not if youre stuck in a small office ;)

seafoid

What other sports would be in contention for best in the world ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on August 01, 2018, 09:51:23 AM
What other sports would be in contention for best in the world ?

Women's beach volleyball is a cracking game!

Also this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=81W54PDsw78

RedHand88