Hurling puts football in the shade

Started by Wildweasel74, August 11, 2013, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: hardstation on July 30, 2018, 11:06:24 AM
Quote from: screenexile on July 30, 2018, 11:01:47 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 30, 2018, 10:58:32 AM
What on earth are you rambling on about?

Hurling pricks with an inferiority complex having to tell anyone and everyone who plays another sport that Hurling is the best sport in the world!
So no individual has the right to tell you their sporting preference unless they play the game at the highest level themselves? You think very highly of yourself.

And with respect, Gaelic Football fans have done the exact same thing with soccer fans for years.

They're not telling me their sporting preference though. They're trying to tell me that because they play hurling and because there was a good hurling match at the weekend that gives them cause to think they are some kind of superior being. Y'know because the sport they play is better than mine... even though the hurling we see at Croke Park does not even closely resemble the hurling played at Christy Ring or club level.

I have yet to see anyone on social media say that Gaelic football is the best sport in the world. . . why does it need to be said. I quite like hurling but I like football better why do the hurling fraternity need to make me feel like a p***k for it?!

Milltown Row2

The football played by Dublin these past few years doesn't resemble anything like Div 2/3/4 or the national leagues, nor the club scene for that matter!

There's no issues with hurling men, but getting wound up is a bit daft
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dinny Breen

Anyone like to offer reasons why hurling is currently better than football? My own take

1. Easier to score, 75m in as opposed to 35m in and skills level have really improved make the execution of scoring from distance far easier
2. Not tactically taxing mainly because of 1, a zonal defence for example would not work
3. The way it's reffed, very hard to win a free while in possession so you keep moving the ball and very easy to switch play 50m with one pass, whereas in football very easy to win a free while in possession, which slows down the game and very hard to switch play with one pass, normally needs to 2 or 3 passes.
4. Chicken or egg but majority of games played in a ground that suits the attendance, which ensures atmosphere which feeds onto the pitch, no coincidence that super 8 round 2 was miles better than round 1

#newbridgeornowhere

tippabu

Quote from: screenexile on July 30, 2018, 10:51:52 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 30, 2018, 10:17:16 AM
Football is in a monopoly stage with one dominant team.
Hurling is post monopoly with Kilkenny back to mediocrity so there is a more balanced feel with a number of teams in genuine contention.

Exactly. . . it wasn't that long ago Kilkenny and Cork were the only 2 decent teams. . . The 2 games were fantastic but why do I have to listen to some nomark who plays club Hurling in Carlow or Derry and couldn't even puck it off their bad side acclaim to me that hurling is the best sport in the world!!

Not the hurling you play lad!!

It's over a decade since cork were a team competing for AI's and then they were some terrible games by today's standard. 1-14 to 1-11 in 03, 17 to 9 in 04, 1-16 to 1-13 in 06. Tipp were like mayo with Dublin and the only team able to put it up to Kilkenny in their dominance and thankfully got over the line twice.

tippabu

Hurling pricks with an inferiority complex having to tell anyone and everyone who plays another sport that Hurling is the best sport in the world!

There is a superiority complex with hurling people, I know it all too much being from a hurling county but more a football man. I go to most hurling games too and it's hard to deny after this year's championship that there is very little comeback and you just have to hold your hands up and agree it's been brilliant. Few tweaks next year like nobody playing more than 2 games in a row in the group stage and it's near a perfect championship. Only thing I disagree with is relegation promotion....if Kerry win Joe mcdonagh then they should go up and not face a playoff unlike Leinster, if it's tipp/waterford whoever go down they will get back up the following year or don't deserve to be up and they are still in the Liam McCarthy either way. People going on about lack of exposure the lower tiers are getting, how much exposure have Clare, limerick, westmeath for example got in football this year? Tiered is the way to go and I still think coverage will be there

johnnycool

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 30, 2018, 11:58:25 AM
Anyone like to offer reasons why hurling is currently better than football? My own take

1. Easier to score, 75m in as opposed to 35m in and skills level have really improved make the execution of scoring from distance far easier
2. Not tactically taxing mainly because of 1, a zonal defence for example would not work
3. The way it's reffed, very hard to win a free while in possession so you keep moving the ball and very easy to switch play 50m with one pass, whereas in football very easy to win a free while in possession, which slows down the game and very hard to switch play with one pass, normally needs to 2 or 3 passes.
4. Chicken or egg but majority of games played in a ground that suits the attendance, which ensures atmosphere which feeds onto the pitch, no coincidence that super 8 round 2 was miles better than round 1

You're like me when I'm watch the tour de france. All I can see is lads cycling their wee legs off but I can admit to not having the first clue about the nuances of the sport!

Rossfan

Small coverage of Ring/Rackard/Meagher is similar to the amount of public interest in their hurling teams in those Counties .
One thing about hurling (at the top levels on TV anyway) that makes it such a spectacle is how fast everything is being done compared to football.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: johnnycool on July 30, 2018, 12:27:27 PM

You're like me when I'm watch the tour de france. All I can see is lads cycling their wee legs off but I can admit to not having the first clue about the nuances of the sport!

Enlighten me so because Cork  continuously driving the ball into the far right hand side is hardly rocket science.
#newbridgeornowhere

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 30, 2018, 01:02:25 PM

Enlighten me so because Cork  continuously driving the ball into the far right hand side is hardly rocket science.

It worked up to the 62 minute, then it didnt, a bit like the teams when the play Dublin, oh wait, that works for a about 5 minutes, by that time I've turned the snooker on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Quote from: tippabu on July 30, 2018, 12:07:16 PM
Hurling is post monopoly with Kilkenny back to mediocrity so there is a more balanced feel with a number of teams in genuine contention.

Exactly. . . it wasn't that long ago Kilkenny and Cork were the only 2 decent teams. . . The 2 games were fantastic but why do I have to listen to some nomark who plays club Hurling in Carlow or Derry and couldn't even puck it off their bad side acclaim to me that hurling is the best sport in the world!!

It's over a decade since cork were a team competing for AI's and then they were some terrible games by today's standard. 1-14 to 1-11 in 03, 17 to 9 in 04, 1-16 to 1-13 in 06. Tipp were like mayo with Dublin and the only team able to put it up to Kilkenny in their dominance and thankfully got over the line twice.
No it isn't.

They've won three of the last five Munster titles, reached the All-Ireland semi-finals five times since 2012 and were seconds away from winning the 2013 final.

tippabu

Quote from: sid waddell on July 30, 2018, 01:35:48 PM
Quote from: tippabu on July 30, 2018, 12:07:16 PM

No it isn't.

They've won three of the last five Munster titles, reached the All-Ireland semi-finals five times since 2012 and were seconds away from winning the 2013 final.

Your original statement was how it wasn't that long ago since Kilkenny and cork were the only two decent teams, cork have been in 1 all Ireland since their last win in 06, tipp Kilkenny have contested tipp Kilkenny have contested 6 since 09. It's just a bit random to say cork and Kilkenny is all, nothing much to it

Franko

Quote from: screenexile on July 30, 2018, 11:20:32 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 30, 2018, 11:06:24 AM

So no individual has the right to tell you their sporting preference unless they play the game at the highest level themselves? You think very highly of yourself.

And with respect, Gaelic Football fans have done the exact same thing with soccer fans for years.

They're not telling me their sporting preference though. They're trying to tell me that because they play hurling and because there was a good hurling match at the weekend that gives them cause to think they are some kind of superior being. Y'know because the sport they play is better than mine... even though the hurling we see at Croke Park does not even closely resemble the hurling played at Christy Ring or club level.

I have yet to see anyone on social media say that Gaelic football is the best sport in the world. . . why does it need to be said. I quite like hurling but I like football better why do the hurling fraternity need to make me feel like a p***k for it?!

The fact that someone saying that hurling is the greatest game in the world makes you feel like a p***k would suggest that you're the one with the inferiority complex.

GalwayBayBoy

johnnycool

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 30, 2018, 01:02:25 PM

Was this before or after they worked the ball through the lines or just from the short puck outs that were working until Limerick pushed up on them and denied them the space to pick their men out.  At stages yesterday Limerick didn't push up on the defender receiving the short puck out as they were trying to cover the space you're talking about. Other times they did.

There was ball played into the space in front of Horgan who ran his ballax off to make that space in the first place. Limerick struggled to negate it.

The dynamic nature of hurling doesn't lend itself to the "set piece" other than puck outs which most teams work hard to gain possession from and the opposition try best to negate via movement.

Take Clare and Galway the day before, Clare played a midfielder in front of the full back line and it wasn't working initially and were 9 points down as Galway were able to negate him having time further out the field to do so. Once Clare got going in there the ball out from Galway wasn't as good and Galvin started to influence the Clare resurgence.

Galway targeted their big men in the attack and put them on the smallest Clare defenders ditto with Conlon and the introduction of Shanagher for Clare.
Everything evolves quickly and maybe doesn't lend itself to fancy pens on screens at half time on sky but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

RedHand88

There's just no getting away from the hurling ones. Even on RTE racing there they had to give us a big gushing review of the two games at the weekend and how it is the world's greatest sport.
If it was so awesome then uptake would be higher. It isn't so there you go.