Hurling puts football in the shade

Started by Wildweasel74, August 11, 2013, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

OK. That's a different discussion though :) The players, it should be said, in the vast majority of cases, have not expressed a wish for a tiered structure.

BennyHarp

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 15, 2016, 05:19:00 PM
OK. That's a different discussion though :) The players, it should be said, in the vast majority of cases, have not expressed a wish for a tiered structure.

I'm not sure decisions are made by the GAA hierarchy based on the expressed wishes of the players. I don't remember a huge push by the players for the black card or the mark or the new round robin structure. So saying the players don't want it, doesn't mean it couldn't or shouldn't happen. Would players want it if it was the only game in town? It's not as if the tiered system is alien to us, it's fully embedded into the mindset of every player via the club system.

But that's a different discussion, my point about the hurling structure is that we don't generally have to sit through months and months of miss matches, imagine the RTE lads analysing Clare beating Tyrone by 50 points in a live hurling qualifier. The likes of Joe Brolly would have so pioneered so many rule changes that the game would be unrecognisable.
That was never a square ball!!

johnneycool

So you're advocating a change to the football championship to avoid these mismatches that allow Brolly to berate the players and counties involved?

BennyHarp

Quote from: johnneycool on August 15, 2016, 10:40:57 PM
So you're advocating a change to the football championship to avoid these mismatches that allow Brolly to berate the players and counties involved?

Aye, that's what I'm saying. 🙄
That was never a square ball!!

Rossfan

If there's going to be tiered Championships in football - the winners/finalists will should be allowed into the Senior Championship.
As for hurley - 3 good games per year - sure give them the month if June all to themselves to play their little restricted Championships and then send them on their way. :)

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

didlyi

Rossfan...Ye were beaten by a hurling county in the championship...so on your way!

AZOffaly

Quote from: didlyi on August 16, 2016, 05:24:30 PM
Rossfan...Ye were beaten by a hurling county in the championship...so on your way!

That's why he doesn't want them in there! :)

Rossfan

In fact hurley Counties should be banned from the football Championships.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on August 16, 2016, 06:44:37 PM
In fact hurley Counties should be banned from the football Championships.

They are! Roscommon be out also on that post  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Football not in the shade when ut comes to  people attending games it seems.
Nally Terrace tickets were available online this morning for the Hurley final.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on August 31, 2016, 03:31:49 PM

That's what happens when you make hurling the poor relation in 20+ counties, and one team dominates. Beware those people who want to do the same to football.

That said, I'm sure if it was Tipp v Waterford, it would be a full house.

ashman

The population of Tipp and Kilkenny combined is quarter that of Dublin .

snoopdog

Quote from: ashman on August 31, 2016, 03:35:03 PM

Football final tickets regardless of who is playing never go on general sale. I recall tickets were very easy to come by the last time these 2 met in the all ireland final 2011 I think.. actually going for far less than face value outside the ground if I remember correctly.

From the Bunker

Quote from: snoopdog on August 31, 2016, 04:15:32 PM
Quote from: ashman on August 31, 2016, 03:35:03 PM

Football final tickets regardless of who is playing never go on general sale. I recall tickets were very easy to come by the last time these 2 met in the all ireland final 2011 I think.. actually going for far less than face value outside the ground if I remember correctly.

Kilkenny were going for an unprecedented 5 in a row in 2010. The preceding years there was huge demand in Kilkenny for 3 in a row and four in a row tickets. When Kilkenny lost in 2010. The run was burst and naturally the hype of going back to winning one in a row again. This coupled with the expense of the going to AI Finals 5 years in a row (they are expensive for a small family).

thewobbler

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 31, 2016, 03:32:48 PM

That's what happens when you make hurling the poor relation in 20+ counties, and one team dominates. Beware those people who want to do the same to football.

That said, I'm sure if it was Tipp v Waterford, it would be a full house.

Football didn't make hurling the poor relation in 20 counties. Hurling did that all by itself by generally being a rubbish game to watch and play.