Hurling puts football in the shade

Started by Wildweasel74, August 11, 2013, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Il Bomber Destro

The fear RTE and the GAA media have of Brian Cody is disgusting.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 07, 2016, 05:24:54 PM
outside of Derry Tipp i dont think u hardly pick out a good football game neither, but that hurling match the day was another game for the ages, there is about  1 / 2 great football matches about  every 10 years these days, Kerry and Mayo 2 yrs ago and Kerry and Dublin about 4 yrs ago been the pick of them

The AI football semi-finals (including the replays) of the last two years have all been very enjoyable games.

Zulu

Football is in a bad place and the odd good game doesn't change that. We have some of the most talented footballers that have ever played the game around now but due to the way the game is played they could be replaced by fit decent club footballers and you'd hardly know. That allied to supporters excusing the cowardly sledging and cynical play of their own players means we are in a race to the bottom with the game.

stew

The hurling that was played today destroys football, I hate saying that but the hurling that was played today was absolutely sublime and hit heights football is incapable of these days.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: stew on August 14, 2016, 02:01:37 AM
The hurling that was played today destroys football, I hate saying that but the hurling that was played today was absolutely sublime and hit heights football is incapable of these days.

Plenty of  bad hurling games around each Summer especially early in the championship but yeah even a great football match can't hold a candle to a great hurling match. Unfortunately you might only get a couple of those games each Summer.

johnneycool

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 14, 2016, 02:22:42 AM
Quote from: stew on August 14, 2016, 02:01:37 AM

Plenty of  bad hurling games around each Summer especially early in the championship but yeah even a great football match can't hold a candle to a great hurling match. Unfortunately you might only get a couple of those games each Summer.

Games like yesterdays come around only once in a while in hurling also, this years hurling championship has been pretty forgettable barring these two games, but hopefully Galway and Tipp will forget about"systems" and rely on hurling skill, bravery and mental fortitude to get them over the line as hurling is meant to be high scoring so let them at it.
Hopefully Davy Fitz and Clare take note for next year

seafoid

How many cracking football matches have there been this summer?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

skeog

hurling is a totally different game to football way more physical ie lethal weapon in your possesion

AZOffaly

Quote from: skeog on August 14, 2016, 12:34:06 PM
hurling is a totally different game to football way more physical ie lethal weapon in your possesion

Hurling is 10 times less physical than football.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 14, 2016, 12:37:18 PM

Absolutely not true at the top level, which is all I've ever been exposed to in a football county. Some of the shit yesterday that wasn't even a foul to the referee would have been sending off offences in football. You don see footballers swinging a fist to the top of someone's head to stop them playing a ball, which is something that happens multiple times with a hurley in any hurling match I've witnessed.

The difference between the codes is akin to rugby and American football in my eyes, one has no padding/weaponary and the one that does allows players to hit and launch themselves in ways they never would dare to without the pads or weapons in this case. The very nature of the game allows for more reckless abandon in hurling, both is how so much of it boils down to hoofing balls up the field in any direction and in how players launch themselves at balls or try to swing hurleys to get a touch on the silotar, usually in situations where there's a hand or arm between their hurley and the sliotar. It's a mental game.

It's almost as if the GAA have bought into the hype about the pace and madness of hurling and let players away with obvious and at times recklessly cynical and dangerous fouls.

INDIANA

Those that think hurling is more physical can never have played football!

Il Bomber Destro

Football is much more physical. It is rare for players these days to hop straight out of minor into senior, particularly with the big counties which cannot be said for hurling and this is all down to physical development.

Hurling is very aimless though which I think negates a lot of the hyperbole surrounding it.

AZOffaly

Quote from: INDIANA on August 14, 2016, 01:37:00 PM

Those that think hurling is more physical can never have played football!

Or hurling. They see hurls, and cut fingers and think physical, but there's far fewer physical collisions in the small ball game.

didlyi

The problem with gaelic football is that it seems not everybody is in agreement that it has been poor. Most hurling people will admit that the hurling was poor this year before the Waterford Kilkenny games. I havnt heard one person suggesting it was good up to that point. What we have seen since has been top class. Until footballer followers are honest and united about the state of the game then the bitching and complaining about refs, blanket defences, hand passing etc etc will continue. However for every one that thinks all is not well in Gaelic football another thinks its fine as it is.