Hurling puts football in the shade

Started by Wildweasel74, August 11, 2013, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullhard

Quote from: Old yeller on September 21, 2014, 11:33:28 PM
Quote from: didlyi on September 21, 2014, 11:26:53 PM
I wish they had ' Hit the F**kin thing' today. Would have made for a much better spectacle and the tactics I saw today amount to one word..puke

I am an avid sports fan, what I seen today from both teams was the Gaelic Football equivalent of total football. I seen full backs running up the pitch to take points. Whats the point in a team lining out 1-15 anymore? I don't recall any real kick passes, this isn't to take away from the skill of a long and accurate handpass. However, this style is somewhat at odds with the sports name! I was sickened by cork hurling in the early-mid 00's started trying to make hurling into a hand passing game.

If you dont like football, stop watching it. But stop trying to compare the two, totally different sports. Hurling may well be the fastest field sport in the world, Formula 1 is the fastest tarmac sport in the world, doesn't make it the best.
I did, I put on the rugby league, Warrington v Widnes game was mental!

I have played and refereed both. Hurling is a great leveler, in terms of cancelling out physical size differences. I am amazed how two sports which are so different are controlled by the same set of rules.

Sidney

Time to stick a knife in every football in Ireland. Yesterday was a dirge.

tonto1888

I do prefer football overall but, for me, when hurling is played at a high intensity between two good teams there is no match in a any sport

Sidney

Quote from: Hardy on September 21, 2014, 10:12:14 PM
Quote from: pullhard on September 21, 2014, 09:14:27 PM
Watched the first half, no intensity in the game, men able to take their steps untroubled. Expected more from the big ball game.  #intheshade

No real comparison with hurling

So why are hurling people obsessed with making the comparison?
We make the comparison because:
i) we know the superiority of our game sticks in the craw of football people and we like to pick at your festering sore of inferiority every now and again
ii) the hurling firmament is cliqueish and exclusive by nature and we like nothing more than to be condescending to those outside the clique
iii) for the laugh

seafoid

The speed of the ball means hurling is less susceptible to a lot of the negativity that seems to be driving the development of football tactics at the moment . Duignan often says you can't say a hurling match is over with 6 points between the teams and 5 minutes left. 

pullhard

Quote from: Sidney on September 22, 2014, 11:47:13 AM
Watched the first half, no intensity in the game, men able to take their steps untroubled. Expected more from the big ball game.  #intheshade

We make the comparison because:
i) we know the superiority of our game sticks in the craw of football people and we like to pick at your festering sore of inferiority every now and again
ii) the hurling firmament is cliqueish and exclusive by nature and we like nothing more than to be condescending to those outside the clique
iii) for the laugh
iv) Yesterday game was suppose the best two teams in the country, it was dire to watch, in comparison with hurling final...

Fixed that

pullhard

Quote from: Old yeller on September 21, 2014, 11:05:04 PM

If the football championship was made up of the best 8 teams in the country( think A.I Quarter Finals on) it would be unreal aswel, not a mismatch in sight. But dont worry, clean, manly hurling, with its revolutionary tactics ( Hit the F**kin thing)  and lack of cynicism will save the day!!!
Get over it
Quote from: seafoid on September 22, 2014, 11:58:44 AM
The speed of the ball means hurling is less susceptible to a lot of the negativity that seems to be driving the development of football tactics at the moment . Duignan often says you can't say a hurling match is over with 6 points between the teams and 5 minutes left.

Make your minds up

Wildweasel74

Good time to bring this one up again after a serious hurling game the day, football cries out for a game like this, classic stuff with no quarter given

SCFC

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 07, 2016, 05:14:34 PM
Good time to bring this one up again after a serious hurling game the day, football cries out for a game like this, classic stuff with no quarter given
It's the first decent game of hurling all year.

didlyi

Quote from: SCFC on August 07, 2016, 05:18:46 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 07, 2016, 05:14:34 PM
It's the first decent game of hurling all year.
It was the first decent game of senior inter county gaa all year.

Wildweasel74

outside of Derry Tipp i dont think u hardly pick out a good football game neither, but that hurling match the day was another game for the ages, there is about  1 / 2 great football matches about  every 10 years these days, Kerry and Mayo 2 yrs ago and Kerry and Dublin about 4 yrs ago been the pick of them

didlyi

What was most encouraging today was that Waterfprd reverted to the traditional style of hurling but almost lost it when they went back to the defensive style towards the end. Now hopefully the sweeper system that has plagued hurling for the last few years is done and dusted(it doesnt work) and we can get back to having many great games, every year. Davy fits pleas take note.

Jinxy

Quote from: didlyi on August 07, 2016, 07:27:15 PM
What was most encouraging today was that Waterfprd reverted to the traditional style of hurling but almost lost it when they went back to the defensive style towards the end. Now hopefully the sweeper system that has plagued hurling for the last few years is done and dusted(it doesnt work) and we can get back to having many great games, every year. Davy fits pleas take note.

;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016