Hurling puts football in the shade

Started by Wildweasel74, August 11, 2013, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

Quote from: BluestackBoy on September 09, 2014, 09:16:07 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on September 08, 2014, 05:18:18 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 08, 2014, 05:02:29 PM
So much hurling is just hit and hope, like the long ball game in soccer. Hammer it down the field and hope your teammate can win it going up against a bunch of other players.  It's hard to see the sliotar too, like the puck in ice hockey.

A Donegal man's take on hurling

A little less of the sneering at Donegal hurling if you don't mind.

We got promoted to Div 2 last year and now take our place as a genuine dual county which confers on us the right to contribute knowledgeably to all posts regarding hurling ;D ;D ;D
Whoah....steady on there. You have to be officially admitted to the clique first before you can do that. Only we members of the hurling firmament can decide if that honour can be bestowed upon you. I saw a couple of lads with Derry jerseys on Sunday evening outside a well known hurling pub in Dublin. They had obviously made the mistake of thinking that they were part of the hurling firmament and that their views would be welcomed or taken seriously. They were mistaken and slunk off when their views were dismissed by the true hurling men gathered there. We in Dublin have ourselves only been admitted to the clique very recently and would still be considered relatively junior members, although if you have a grandfather from Tipperary and your mother is from Limerick, and can talk for 20 minutes about the 1987 Munster final draw and replay, as is the case with myself, more senior membership can be conferred upon you.

Zulu

Quotea well known hurling pub in Dublin

A hurling pub in Dublin??? Such a thing is about as genuine as an Irish pub in Bangkok! ;D

Sidney

Quote from: Zulu on September 09, 2014, 01:05:45 PM

A hurling pub in Dublin??? Such a thing is about as genuine as an Irish pub in Bangkok! ;D
The plethora of All-Ireland winners and other assembled hurling intelligentsia who frequent it would disagree. A serious hurling pub for serious hurling discussion between serious hurling men.

johnneycool

Quote from: Sidney on September 09, 2014, 02:36:41 PM
Quote from: Zulu on September 09, 2014, 01:05:45 PM

The plethora of All-Ireland winners and other assembled hurling intelligentsia who frequent it would disagree. A serious hurling pub for serious hurling discussion between serious hurling men.

That's a bit serious for my liking.

pullhard

Watched the first half, no intensity in the game, men able to take their steps untroubled. Expected more from the big ball game.  #intheshade

No real comparison with hurling

macdanger2

Quote from: pullhard on September 21, 2014, 09:14:27 PM
Watched the first half, no intensity in the game, men able to take their steps untroubled. Expected more from the big ball game.  #intheshade

You're dead right, hard to see football prospering at all. Do you think they'll even have enough teams entering next year to run the competition at all??

pullhard

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 21, 2014, 09:22:42 PM

You're dead right, hard to see football prospering at all. Do you think they'll even have enough teams entering next year to run the competition at all??

hopefully not, easier just to replace with rugby league

laoislad

It's great that we have another All Ireland Hurling final to look forward to next weekend.
The match today was dung.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Hardy

So why are hurling people obsessed with making the comparison?

Hardy

macdanger2

Old yeller

Quote from: Hardy on September 21, 2014, 10:12:14 PM

So why are hurling people obsessed with making the comparison?
If the football championship was made up of the best 8 teams in the country( think A.I Quarter Finals on) it would be unreal aswel, not a mismatch in sight. But dont worry, clean, manly hurling, with its revolutionary tactics ( Hit the F**kin thing)  and lack of cynicism will save the day!!!
Get over it

didlyi

I wish they had ' Hit the F**kin thing' today. Would have made for a much better spectacle and the tactics I saw today amount to one word..puke

Old yeller

Quote from: didlyi on September 21, 2014, 11:26:53 PM
I wish they had ' Hit the F**kin thing' today. Would have made for a much better spectacle and the tactics I saw today amount to one word..puke
If you dont like football, stop watching it. But stop trying to compare the two, totally different sports. Hurling may well be the fastest field sport in the world, Formula 1 is the fastest tarmac sport in the world, doesnt make it the best.