Hurling puts football in the shade

Started by Wildweasel74, August 11, 2013, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

So much hurling is just hit and hope, like the long ball game in soccer. Hammer it down the field and hope your teammate can win it going up against a bunch of other players.  It's hard to see the sliotar too, like the puck in ice hockey.

AZOffaly

Quote from: J70 on September 08, 2014, 05:02:29 PM
So much hurling is just hit and hope, like the long ball game in soccer. Hammer it down the field and hope your teammate can win it going up against a bunch of other players.  It's hard to see the sliotar too, like the puck in ice hockey.

You stick to your blanket defences and reggae songs. :D

theticklemister

A Donegal man's take on hurling

Rossfan

Quote from: Dirtyball on September 08, 2014, 04:39:51 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 08, 2014, 04:18:58 PM
Hmm, poor rugby tackles, hitting the ball as far as you can, drop the head and charge, great skills indeed  ::)
Let's hand pass it across the back 6
Unlike the new "throwpass" so prevalent in hurlin these days  :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 08, 2014, 04:32:51 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 08, 2014, 04:18:58 PM
Hmm, poor rugby tackles, hitting the ball as far as you can, drop the head and charge, great skills indeed  ::)

you didn't watch the game if you think there was a lot of 'hitting the ball as far as you can'. And if you can't appreciate the skills involved in running at full speed, and flicking a ball up onto your hurley, while holding off a man, and then flicking it over the bar from 40-50 yards out, well I give up :D

Come on AZ, the default action of any defender in hurling under pressure is a hit and hope long ball.

Different games different skills, I appreciate hurling for what it is but I see a lot of poor skills as well, the 5 minute spell before half-time was awful stuff but then Richie Hogan's first goal to me was pure genius. Just don't see the need to eulogise hurling at every opportunity particularly at the expense of football.
#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

Inferiority complex  or "small man " syndrome perhaps. :D

Whatever it's to do with - Gaelic football is the most popular and successful sport in Ireland and it has many skills too.
Now if we could only get Refs to enforce the 4 step rule so that the game would get more open....

muppet

Quote from: Rossfan on September 08, 2014, 05:32:05 PM

Hurlers have this because they always talk about hurling?

Em............

MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Whatever it's to do with - Gaelic football is the most popular and successful sport in Ireland and it has many skills too.
Now if we could only get Refs to enforce the 4 step rule so that the game would get more open....
If anyone has an inferiority complex its fellas like you who continually take the bait  ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

didlyi

This sneer at 'hit and hope' hurling amazes me. Hurling is a game of 14 dual contests. Hit and hope means the best man in the next dual will win the contest. If a team keeps winnning all the contests then they will probably win the game...and what is wrong with a game like that? Football is a different game and has to be played differently. If hit and hope worked Im sure footballers would be doing the same. Instead they try to hand pass the ball all the way up the field and have a go at kicking when close to goal.

Wildweasel74

The fact is the majority of people on here have played football but never hurling. to determine which sport is better than the other is silly but men who have played both at inter county like Brian McGilligan, teddy McCarthy, Sean og, all said they preferred hurling as a game, i think the only ones who can judge are person who have played both codes.

Zulu

I've played both and prefer football and I'd know plenty like me but that proves nothing. Don't think you have to have played both to have an opinion on which you prefer to watch.

QuoteThis sneer at 'hit and hope' hurling amazes me. Hurling is a game of 14 dual contests.

It's not really and there has been a marked move away from such play over the past few years which suggests many are beginning to feel finding a free player is now the better option.

For me the fundamental difference between the codes is the skill in hurling is in controlling the ball, the skill in football is in the use of the ball. Controlling a ball in football is relatively easy while scoring in hurling is relatively easy, different games but both have plenty of skills which are challenging to master.

Syferus

That's like saying you can't judge a politician unless you're a politician. Ridiculous logical fallacy.

Certainly on here people are talking about the sports mainly as spectators, not players. A few anecdotes from dual players means feck all when put into perspective.

I don't know why people want to demean one or the other. Football is without a doubt the more popular, beyond that everything is utterly subjective.

screenexile

Agreed!

I've played both and I was clean shite at hurling but was still MF on our minor team, it was enjoyable enough but I preferred football.

Yes the level of skill at the top is fantastic but truth be told there are only a few people in the Country at that level as witnessed by the fact you have like 6 counties winning the AI in the last 20 odd years. Yes by all means when you get to Munster/AIF level it's fantastic but scratch the surface and the level around the country is not a patch on it!!

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on September 08, 2014, 05:39:18 PM

Hurlers have this because they always talk about hurling?

Em............
No - they keep on telling themselves ( and us) how great hurling is. It's as if they have to keep saying it because deep down they are insecure about it all. The lady doth protest too much and all that.

People who are comfortable in their skins and confident in their sport don't feel the need to keep on harping about how great they are or their sport is.

Also why is it acceptable to criticise football while hurling has to be praised all the time.

Seriously though - the fact that there's no hurling around my part of the Country ( or oul rubby either) means that I have only a passing interest in the shticks game and can never get too excited about it all even an exciting game like yesterday's.
I did find it better than last year's 2 Finals because there was a football like intensity about this year's game.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: theticklemister on September 08, 2014, 05:18:18 PM

A Donegal man's take on hurling

A little less of the sneering at Donegal hurling if you don't mind.

We got promoted to Div 2 last year and now take our place as a genuine dual county which confers on us the right to contribute knowledgeably to all posts regarding hurling ;D ;D ;D
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.