Hurling puts football in the shade

Started by Wildweasel74, August 11, 2013, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: didlyi on September 08, 2014, 03:01:59 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 08, 2014, 02:29:03 PM
Why is it so seasy to get a hurling final ticket and football final tickets are like gold dust? Makes a balls out of trying to swap hurling tickets for football ones.

Simple answer

Population Tipp and KK= 250,000
Population Donegal + Kerry= 310,000

When Cork and Clare played last year ther was a massive shortage of tickets. New teams will always bring a new following and renewed interest as with Clare last year and Donegal this year. It doesnt mean the games will be any better though. Are you trying to make out there was some sort of lack of interest in yesterdays match?

There did seem to be less interest (not sure that's the right word though) in yesterday's final with returned tickets from the competing counties which is highly unusual.

This whole discussion is tiresome, it's entirely subjective so there's no right answer. It's usually the hurling crowd who start this but I noticed a number of the football pundits who took the opportunity last week to use the football semi finals as a stick to beat hurling. Padraig Joyce said something like football needed that to get back on top (or along those lines) which I found very annoying. The sports shouldn't be in competition, no more than they should be in competition with any other sport. They are what they are, often brilliant, sometimes rubbish but always interesting.

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 08, 2014, 03:05:59 PM
Its the same every year. The neutral 'die hard' interest is always greater in Football than Hurling.  The participation rates would tell you that Football is more popular than Hurling.

Football has 31 Counties playing while Hurling has 12 plus some interest in about 4 others.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

Quote from: didlyi on September 08, 2014, 03:01:59 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 08, 2014, 02:29:03 PM
Why is it so seasy to get a hurling final ticket and football final tickets are like gold dust? Makes a balls out of trying to swap hurling tickets for football ones.

Simple answer

Population Tipp and KK= 250,000
Population Donegal + Kerry= 310,000

When Cork and Clare played last year ther was a massive shortage of tickets. New teams will always bring a new following and renewed interest as with Clare last year and Donegal this year. It doesnt mean the games will be any better though. Are you trying to make out there was some sort of lack of interest in yesterdays match?

Not really trying to say anything. I enjoy both games but wouldn't claim to know much about hurling as to be fair it's an alien game to where I'm from.

Minder

I don't think it matters who is playing in the hurling, they are easier to get
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

johnneycool

Quote from: Rossfan on September 08, 2014, 03:24:42 PM
Its the same every year. The neutral 'die hard' interest is always greater in Football than Hurling.  The participation rates would tell you that Football is more popular than Hurling.

Football has 31 County boards supporting it while Hurling has 12 plus county boards supporting it with a little interest in about 4 others whilst the rest demonise it.

Fixed that for you Rossfan.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on September 08, 2014, 03:24:42 PM

Football has 31 Counties playing while Hurling has 12 plus some interest in about 4 others.

Yup, that's what I was saying. The question was why is there greater demand for Football tickets. I'm agreeing with you.

Bingo

I'd say its a combination of a few things:

More counties would play football at senior level while lot of counties don't play Hurling, less neutral interest straight away. If people get offered Hurling tickets in these counties they will go but they mightn't go looking them. In Monaghan I'd imagine the county board will have more football tickets and homes than the hurling tickets.

In Hurling its nearly always the case that a county will be competing on a regular basis for an all-Ireland. Kilkenny been the obvious one, people there likely are that used to them they don't feel the urge to attend, there'll be another one or where at a recent one. Other counties mightn't be as regular but would have regular success. I'm sure demand in these counties are high but not as high if wasn't as frequent. Ticket prices would also put off some who may attend.

Football works somewhat different from above with teams less frequently getting there, its a bigger event and more people want to attend. Donegal been a great example, years without an appearance then two come along. Mayo the same, Dublin, Down, etc. Kerry with more appearances would be similar to Kilkenny. Demand must be massive in these counties as they don't know when they next one will be and they'll thrawl the country for tickets.

Dirtyball

Any auld donkey that can run, tap the ball over an opponents head, take a return pass and do the same again can play football at some sort of level. The bottom line is it has become a contactless sport thus taking any real meaning or purpose out of the game. Yes there are the few exceptions where there are games that are close rather than skilfull but the majority of inter county forwards cannot kick the ball over the bar from 35-40 metres . And when I mean the majority I mean 120/180 inter county forward cannot do it. There is FA skill involved in playing Gaelic football these days.. Where as hurling.... Well just watch yesterday's final again... Best field game in the world and always has been.

Zulu

Dinny Breen

Hmm, poor rugby tackles, hitting the ball as far as you can, drop the head and charge, great skills indeed  ::)
#newbridgeornowhere

johnneycool

Given that thats Dirtyballs first post even remotely related to hurling I'd suggest he's a wum of the lowest order.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 08, 2014, 04:18:58 PM
Hmm, poor rugby tackles, hitting the ball as far as you can, drop the head and charge, great skills indeed  ::)

you didn't watch the game if you think there was a lot of 'hitting the ball as far as you can'. And if you can't appreciate the skills involved in running at full speed, and flicking a ball up onto your hurley, while holding off a man, and then flicking it over the bar from 40-50 yards out, well I give up :D

Dirtyball

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 08, 2014, 04:18:58 PM
Let's hand pass it across the back 6 like they do in England! Knock it back to the keeper then and start again!   Great stuff that!

muppet

Quote from: Dirtyball on September 08, 2014, 04:15:49 PM
Any auld donkey that can run, tap the ball over an opponents head, take a return pass and do the same again can play football at some sort of level. The bottom line is it has become a contactless sport thus taking any real meaning or purpose out of the game. Yes there are the few exceptions where there are games that are close rather than skilfull but the majority of inter county forwards cannot kick the ball over the bar from 35-40 metres . And when I mean the majority I mean 120/180 inter county forward cannot do it. There is FA skill involved in playing Gaelic football these days.. Where as hurling.... Well just watch yesterday's final again... Best field game in the world and always has been.

This is like saying the two best snookers players in 1985 couldn't pot the black, and of course here is the evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDNpyNHrmjk

Equally some darts player who miss a few doubles are useless.

I would say almost all inter-county backs, never mind forwards can kick the ball over from 30-40 metres. The issue is pressure.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Less skills to master making it easier to play so will attract more people.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.