Hurling puts football in the shade

Started by Wildweasel74, August 11, 2013, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Another serious game of hurling the day before Kilkenny started to pull clear, you couldn't have made up the last 5 minutes, with 2 of the games greatest hurlers scoring at the death!

From the Bunker

Have you ever seen a good hurling game involving Fermanagh, Tyrone, Armagh, Monaghan, Cavan, Donegal, Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon, Longford, Louth, Meath or Kildare? Have you ever seen a good football game involving any of those counties?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 22, 2014, 10:37:26 PM
Have you ever seen a good hurling game involving Fermanagh, Tyrone, Armagh, Monaghan, Cavan, Donegal, Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon, Longford, Louth, Meath or Kildare? Have you ever seen a good football game involving any of those counties?

Meath and Kildare would be of a very high standard (second tier), all the other teams would be of a similar standard to themselves and would throw up a good game, Armagh and Louth would be a good game, while the quality may not be the same as the top tier it would certainly be exciting
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

moysider

Quote from: Zulu on February 23, 2014, 03:47:04 PM
The funny thing is when football delivers games like this there is always a significant number of people who complain about the lack of defending. A high scoring hurling game is always lauded as a great game while a high scoring football can be derided for a lack of defending. Football can't win sometimes.

Today's game was excellent but you'd really have to wonder where the defenders were!

I don t watch hurling much these days but today s finish was class it has to be said.

But why people compare hurling and football is beyond me. Lacrosse and American football anybody? Baseball and basketball?

Chalk and cheese.

As regards discipline. Imagine if all those early rows, bullying and dirty digs happened in a football match. Hurlers can do it right in front of the ref too and know they ll usually get a finger wag and unless they really push their luck they wont even get a yellow.

As regards scores in hurling. I m sure I came across a proposal from Christy Ring that hurling would be a goals-only game, with player numbers being reduced to maybe 13?

ONeill

Actually highlighted how easy it is to score a goal in hurling.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 22, 2014, 10:37:26 PM

There were a few alright

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE_maOQWTOk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mftE3kDIYBk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIV73ywp41o
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

blast05

QuoteBut why people compare hurling and football is beyond me

Seriously ?? You're smarter than that.
Tis the aul inferiority complex - pure and simple !!

"Wouldn't cross the road to watch a game of football" .... or translated as 'why oh why dear God is it that only 6 or 7 counties take hurling seriously and everybody seems to take football seriously. So ask not what hurling can do for me but what i can do for hurling .... i'll talk that feckin' bogball down at any opportunity'

"Golf ? Sure golf is only Protestant hurling" .... or translated as 'i tried that golf crack once but i was laughed out of the place when the ball was whacking off the roof at the driving range with me hurling swing'

"Hurling, the most skilfull game on earth" .... usually roared by a lad from Tipp, Clare or Limerick after about 7 pints when watching one of his county men on the Sunday Game that evening after a match when said county match does something special. The intention is to roar loudly enough so that the circle of hurling areas in the 3 counties that the lads is visualising (on a map) in his head expands and breaks down barriers into the barren wastelands of football in Kerry, west Clare and North and west Galway

and on and on and on.....

Me ..... hurling is a great sport and i like watching an odd game and as an Irish man i'm proud of it. I prefer football though.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: blast05 on June 23, 2014, 05:36:38 PM
QuoteBut why people compare hurling and football is beyond me

Seriously ?? You're smarter than that.
Tis the aul inferiority complex - pure and simple !!

"Wouldn't cross the road to watch a game of football" .... or translated as 'why oh why dear God is it that only 6 or 7 counties take hurling seriously and everybody seems to take football seriously. So ask not what hurling can do for me but what i can do for hurling .... i'll talk that feckin' bogball down at any opportunity'

"Golf ? Sure golf is only Protestant hurling" .... or translated as 'i tried that golf crack once but i was laughed out of the place when the ball was whacking off the roof at the driving range with me hurling swing'

"Hurling, the most skilfull game on earth" .... usually roared by a lad from Tipp, Clare or Limerick after about 7 pints when watching one of his county men on the Sunday Game that evening after a match when said county match does something special. The intention is to roar loudly enough so that the circle of hurling areas in the 3 counties that the lads is visualising (on a map) in his head expands and breaks down barriers into the barren wastelands of football in Kerry, west Clare and North and west Galway

and on and on and on.....

Me ..... hurling is a great sport and i like watching an odd game and as an Irish man i'm proud of it. I prefer football though.

Name me 6 or 7 counties that actually take football seriously? It's the same faces every year in the semis, and prior to the back door it was even less teams.  But hey its a completely different sport and it's like someone comparing cricket over rugby ffs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Redhand Santa

I'd say in the last 15 there's been a lot of counties made it to the semi finals in the football. Off the top of my head the following have:
Tyrone
Armagh
Derry
Donegal
Fermanagh
Down
Dublin
Meath
Kildare
Cork
Kerry
Mayo
Galway

On top of that Monaghan have won an Ulster title, Westmeath have won a Leinster, and Sligo and Roscommon have won a Connaught.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 23, 2014, 08:40:37 PM
I'd say in the last 15 there's been a lot of counties made it to the semi finals in the football. Off the top of my head the following have:
Tyrone
Armagh
Derry
Donegal
Fermanagh
Down
Dublin
Meath
Kildare
Cork
Kerry
Mayo
Galway

On top of that Monaghan have won an Ulster title, Westmeath have won a Leinster, and Sligo and Roscommon have won a Connaught.

Outta that who have won? Just off the top of you're head? Kerry, Cork, Dublin, Tyrone?

Milltown Row2

My point is, in all sports you have counties or countries that dominate, others come and go but generally 3 or 4 counties/countries in a sport will always be there or thereabouts.

Redhand Santa

In the last 15 years Tyrone, Armagh, Donegal, Dublin, Meath, Kerry, Galway and Cork.  So since 1999 that's 8 winners.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 23, 2014, 08:56:06 PM
In the last 15 years Tyrone, Armagh, Donegal, Dublin, Meath, Kerry, Galway and Cork.  So since 1999 that's 8 winners.

And when will Armagh, Tyrone, Meath and heaven help me Galway!! (fecking we beat them ffs) win their next?

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 23, 2014, 08:57:53 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 23, 2014, 08:56:06 PM

And when will Armagh, Tyrone, Meath and heaven help me Galway!! (fecking we beat them ffs) win their next?

Who knows - these things can turn round very quick. Donegal in 2010 were lucky to be a top 15 team in Ireland. By 2012 they were champs. Galway have won u21 all irelands in recent years and have a habit of coming from know where. Football has a large number of competitive counties.

I just remembered even Wexford made it to a semi final in 08 and ran the eventual champions close. On top of the 8 winners in the last 15 years Mayo have played and got close in multiple finals and Down made it to the 2010 final only getting beat by a point in the final.

Milltown Row2

My point is and don't get lost on it, 6/7 counties take it seriously in Hurling and football, generally and you can look at the stats, Kerry on 36 and Dublin on 24 it usually follows this format.

I've a preference for hurling because I play it and I played football and enjoyed it also, but as a spectacle for me entertainment wise I prefer it over the defensive football nowadays

Oh and Galway last won it 16 years ago ;)

As for competitive that's fine, but facts tell us that they  don't win