Started by Wildweasel74, August 11, 2013, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

It was quite boring I thought.
Tony Kelly is a smashing player though.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: bennydorano on August 18, 2013, 05:24:24 PM
Well done Clare, with an age profile like that they'll be about for a longtime. Shite game btw.

Wasn't a great game as Limerick underperformed quite badly to be honest. Still some great patches of hurling in it.

johnneycool

Quote from: Jinxy on August 19, 2013, 12:19:15 PM
It was quite boring I thought.
Tony Kelly is a smashing player though.

Limerick not turning up certainly didn't help the game as a contest, but some of the skills on display for the Clare lads was unreal and that in itself is entertainment in my eyes. Tony Kelly's point was fantastic.

When Spain handed Ireland and numerous others their arsés on a plate, a contest it wasn't but the joy comes from watching skilled performers is still to be admired.

I'm not the biggest football fan in the world, but the few games I've watched this summer have been entertaining in their own ways, Galway v Cork, Cork v Dublin, Down v Derry (the first time) and even Mayo v Donegal.

Not sure about thon Cricket though.   8)

Asal Mor

Quote from: johnneycool on August 19, 2013, 12:40:33 PM

Limerick not turning up certainly didn't help the game as a contest, but some of the skills on display for the Clare lads was unreal and that in itself is entertainment in my eyes. Tony Kelly's point was fantastic.

When Spain handed Ireland and numerous others their arsés on a plate, a contest it wasn't but the joy comes from watching skilled performers is still to be admired.

+1

Aristo 60

Quote from: Aristo 60 on August 11, 2013, 05:08:45 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 11, 2013, 04:04:07 PM
As always when played in the right way the game of hurling is hard to surpass and i am a out and out football man who never played hurling.
You watch the dublin cork game on tv and it is easily better for spectators than anything the football has produced this year.

Just booked tickets for Limerick & Clare...my first big hurling game, so hoping for a good one.

Well I'm back safe from Dublin, thanks for asking everyone.

I enjoyed the two matches well enough but I must admit at one stage during the minor match I was looking forward to the football in the next game!

blanketattack

One thing that I always find odd is how come if hurling is such an amazing sport and so entertaining and is the best game in the world, how come outside of All-Ireland finals, no hurling game has sold out Croke Park in living memory? This can't be blamed on the recession either as there were no sell-outs during the Celtic Tiger either (besides AI-finals).

Jinxy

Quote from: Asal Mor on August 18, 2013, 05:39:16 PM
I've seen better but I still thought it was a great game. I don't know how you could watch the skills of Tony Kelly and Paudge Collins and declare it a sh!te game but each to their own.

Quote from: Whishtup on August 18, 2013, 09:15:30 PM
Thought it was a great game.  Again, if ye wanted to, you could tear it apart for cynical/dirty tackles,blablabla,  etc...but why the hell would ye?

Ah lads, it really wasn't.
But that's ok.
You can still enjoy it without it having to be a great game.

pullhard

Some bitterness here. From the impression I get most of the hurling lads have played a bit of Gaelic, whereas most of the Gaelic boys have never held a hurl in anger. Perhaps they should get involved, in other to form a more balance view...

But this arguement that we dont really need. As its comparing two different beasts

Whishtup

Quote from: Jinxy on August 19, 2013, 04:50:04 PM
I've seen better but I still thought it was a great game. I don't know how you could watch the skills of Tony Kelly and Paudge Collins and declare it a sh!te game but each to their own.

Thought it was a great game.  Again, if ye wanted to, you could tear it apart for cynical/dirty tackles,blablabla,  etc...but why the hell would ye?

But that's ok.

A culmination of things about this game made it great for me-the Limerick support, Clare's young hurlers finally coming through, Davy Fitz lepping about like a mad yoke, John Allen's humility after the match, even when faced with these new cheap,  hateful questions that post match reporters are fond of asking, the commentary, the analysis.  A breath of fresh air. 

armaghniac

Has any football game not involving Dublin, other than the final, sold out in Crime Park. The attendance at Sunday'd game was very respectable.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Redhand Santa

Quote from: armaghniac on August 19, 2013, 07:30:28 PM
Has any football game not involving Dublin, other than the final, sold out in Crime Park. The attendance at Sunday'd game was very respectable.

Not sure about sold out but I'd say a few have come close. Armagh Donegal semi in 2003 had over 75,000 at it. The quarter final double header that year of Tyrone Fermanagh Armagh Laois also had something similar from memory.

Sidney

Quote from: blanketattack on August 19, 2013, 04:18:41 PM
One thing that I always find odd is how come if hurling is such an amazing sport and so entertaining and is the best game in the world, how come outside of All-Ireland finals, no hurling game has sold out Croke Park in living memory? This can't be blamed on the recession either as there were no sell-outs during the Celtic Tiger either (besides AI-finals).
Why has the Munster hurling championship always consistently attracted higher attendances than the Ulster football championship? And it isn't the size of the stadiums, because Ulster football matches very rarely sell out.

Jinxy

Quote from: Whishtup on August 19, 2013, 06:48:52 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 19, 2013, 04:50:04 PM

But that's ok.

A culmination of things about this game made it great for me-the Limerick support, Clare's young hurlers finally coming through, Davy Fitz lepping about like a mad yoke, John Allen's humility after the match, even when faced with these new cheap,  hateful questions that post match reporters are fond of asking, the commentary, the analysis.  A breath of fresh air.

So you're basically saying, it doesn't have to be a great game, in order for it to be a 'great game'.

laoislad

Thank fcuk we have another hurling final to look forward to after that muck that was on today.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.