Hurling puts football in the shade

Started by Wildweasel74, August 11, 2013, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 12, 2013, 04:39:47 PM
Saint Lucia, no less!! Far from Saint Lucia you were raised AZ  ;D

You can sing that :D

pullhard

I was asked my mate to play a game of cricket to make up the numbers. By f**K is a long day out. It's a bit like American football no set end time.

It's hard to compare gaelic and hurling, guess its what you grow up with and enjoy. I played both and then focused on the hurling.
One thing I have noticed that during club games of both hurling has a quieter atmosphere, hurling fans don't chat as much s**t during the game. The players as the game is much quicker don't yell as much for the ball or at each other.

I believe both games shouldn't share the same rule book. There are too different in terms of speed, scoring and contact areas

Syferus

Quote from: pullhard on August 12, 2013, 05:11:25 PM
I was asked my mate to play a game of cricket to make up the numbers. By f**K is a long day out. It's a bit like American football no set end time.

It's hard to compare gaelic and hurling, guess its what you grow up with and enjoy. I played both and then focused on the hurling.
One thing I have noticed that during club games of both hurling has a quieter atmosphere, hurling fans don't chat as much s**t during the game. The players as the game is much quicker don't yell as much for the ball or at each other.

I believe both games shouldn't share the same rule book. There are too different in terms of speed, scoring and contact areas

???

pullhard

???
[/quote]

I think cricket might be more interesting and easier to follow.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Syferus on August 12, 2013, 05:12:27 PM
???

I think he meant to say baseball. That's a relaxing evening out!

Only because hurling and Gaelic football share the same organization do you get this discussion coming up. People sometimes ask me if I can convince college hurlers to take up football. I keep saying they're not interested, and why would they be?  It's like asking a (field) hockey player if he wants to play soccer.  Why would he?  They're two fundamentally different sports. Apples and oranges. Cars and motorbikes. Beans and peas.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on August 11, 2013, 11:15:49 PM
Quote from: trileacman on August 11, 2013, 10:46:31 PM

Funny how when we see a fantastic match in football (Kerry-Galway 08), (Tyrone-Armagh 05), (Mayo- Dublin 06) never does some-one voice the opinion "wasn't it better than seeing the Cats bore their way to an All-Ireland" but when there is a decent hurling match the occasion cannot pass without a "jaysus that was better than a football " comment.

That's an excellent observation.

Ya left out this bit ya bollix  ;D: "Watched the last 10 mins of the Dublin-Mayo semi last year and it was a cracker now that I look back on it."
MWWSI 2017

5 Sams

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 12, 2013, 06:09:27 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 12, 2013, 05:12:27 PM
???

I think he meant to say baseball. That's a relaxing evening out!

Only because hurling and Gaelic football share the same organization do you get this discussion coming up. People sometimes ask me if I can convince college hurlers to take up football. I keep saying they're not interested, and why would they be?  It's like asking a (field) hockey player if he wants to play soccer.  Why would he?  They're two fundamentally different sports. Apples and oranges. Cars and motorbikes. Beans and peas.

+ 1 about the baseball. Went to a few games in The Sky Dome many moons ago. Very enjoyable...beer on tap for 3 or 4 hours while watching a hugely enjoyable game. It was the year the Blue Jays won the World Series. 92? Joe Carter was the man. Helps to have a modicum of understanding of what's going on to get the most from it.
The Aristocrat Years

bennydorano

Well done Clare, with an age profile like that they'll be about for a longtime. Shite game btw.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Asal Mor

I've seen better but I still thought it was a great game. I don't know how you could watch the skills of Tony Kelly and Paudge Collins and declare it a sh!te game but each to their own.

Zulu

Ah it was a poor game to be fair but Clare will definitely give Cork plenty of it.

Whishtup

Thought it was a great game.  Again, if ye wanted to, you could tear it apart for cynical/dirty tackles,blablabla,  etc...but why the hell would ye?

Zulu

That's not why I thought it was poor. Limerick were brutal for much of the game and once Clare pulled away mid way through the first half they were never really in trouble so I thought it was a very average game. The amount of wides took the wide out of the game too.

Whishtup

Quote from: Zulu on August 18, 2013, 09:36:00 PM
That's not why I thought it was poor. Limerick were brutal for much of the game and once Clare pulled away mid way through the first half they were never really in trouble so I thought it was a very average game. The amount of wides took the wide out of the game too.

My apologies-I was just making a general statement.  I suppose if you look at the shots to wides in Cork Dub game it didn't compare-less space though and plenty of hooks.

rrhf

Whether it was good, great or shite dosent really matter does it now? Do you think the Man UTD fans were discussing the aesthetic appeal of the game on Saturday evening on their forums.