Hurling puts football in the shade

Started by Wildweasel74, August 11, 2013, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: DJGaliv on August 11, 2013, 10:38:43 PM

For me it's like the stupid hot hairdresser you see. I wouldn't never leave my beautiful intelligent wife (gaelic football) for her, but there's an odd night you'd be tempted to book a hotel room.

;D
Football is more like the farmers daughter with the chunky thighs and a hairy lip.Hurling is the graceful ballet dancer with legs that go on and on and on..
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

Quote from: trileacman on August 11, 2013, 10:46:31 PM
Watched the last 10 mins of the Dublin-Mayo semi last year and it was a cracker now that I look back on it. The semi-finals usually through up a top match every year in both codes.

Funny how when we see a fantastic match in football (Kerry-Galway 08), (Tyrone-Armagh 05), (Mayo- Dublin 06) never does some-one voice the opinion "wasn't it better than seeing the Cats bore their way to an All-Ireland" but when there is a decent hurling match the occasion cannot pass without a "jaysus that was better than a football " comment.

Bullshit.

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2013, 11:35:38 PM
It may also be the case that hurling is easier watched because the RTE pundits actually like the game. Their football counterparts seem to totally despise their game and have us all thinking "This game is a lot of bollox" before the ball is even thrown in. A depressing shower of whinging cnuts.

That's why I always think England are going to win the World Cup.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Syferus

Still nawthing on the AI club final in March.

Great game, though.

didlyi

Watched the last 10 mins of the Dublin-Mayo semi last year and it was a cracker now that I look back on it. The semi-finals usually through up a top match every year in both codes.

Funny how when we see a fantastic match in football (Kerry-Galway 08), (Tyrone-Armagh 05), (Mayo- Dublin 06) never does some-one voice the opinion "wasn't it better than seeing the Cats bore their way to an All-Ireland" but when there is a decent hurling match the occasion cannot pass without a "jaysus that was better than a football " comment.

There were some classic hurling matches throughout the noughties but you fail to mention any of them, your point being that the football games were better. The last great GAA game was played today. The rest is history and fair play to Dublin and Cork for a fantatstic occasion.

ONeill

Hurling can be shite too.

2 strikes of the sliotar and it's a point, from one keeper to the other end. 28 players ignored.

Also, 91% of the clearances are to no one in particular. Like football in 1977.

blast05

Quote from: laoislad on August 11, 2013, 11:31:45 PM

Bullshit.

Why is it bullshit ? It is definitely true to say that in the aftermath of a great game of football that football supporters don't feel some bizarre need to stick the chest out and say gaelic football is the greatest sport ever even though many many of us believe it truely is (we are entitled to our view!)
This hurling superiority nonsense is a deep down inferiority thing ..... hurling knows its on the hind tit in terms of the overall level of interest in the sport compared to football. It knows that it will never compete with gaelic football in the hearts and minds of those outside the small hurling heartlands. It knows that it needs a broader audience and hence why it is orgasmic with delight at the way this years championship is panning out.

The superiority thing is just painful to listen to. A flavour of the bullshit i will have to listen to tomorrow in work from various hurling heads:
"Jaysus, you'd never see a game like that in football" ..... correct, its a different sport.
"After watching that, it would remind you why i wouldn't cross the road to see my county in an All-Ireland football final" ... why oh why the need to say this ?
And when talking about the golf .... "ara, that aul golf is just protestant hurling"
Change the bloody tune.

And the reality of all this ..... the game today, while highliy entertaining and showing great levels of skills also could have the adjectives 'nice' and 'innocent' used to describe it. 'Nice' FFS

ONeill

That's only because the ball moves faster between player a and b. An 80 yard pass in football takes 3.5 times longer to reach its target, bringing in to play 3-4 variables.

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on August 12, 2013, 12:02:22 AM
Quote from: blast05 on August 11, 2013, 11:59:20 PM

Bullshit.

Why is it bullshit ? It is definitely true to say that in the aftermath of a great game of football that football supporters don't feel some bizarre need to stick the chest out and say gaelic football is the greatest sport ever
Who are you trying to kid?

Antrim hurling aficionados are the worst. They won't even watch the football final.

laoislad

Quote from: hardstation on August 12, 2013, 12:02:22 AM
Quote from: blast05 on August 11, 2013, 11:59:20 PM

Bullshit.

Why is it bullshit ? It is definitely true to say that in the aftermath of a great game of football that football supporters don't feel some bizarre need to stick the chest out and say gaelic football is the greatest sport ever
Who are you trying to kid?

What's funny is the thread was started by a self confessed football man.....

Hardy

Quote from: DJGaliv on August 11, 2013, 10:38:43 PM
Isn't hurling great?
Few men can master the stick work (niche sport in 10 counties or when sliothar is on the floor an arse measuring contest), majestic physicality, passion (pulling across a mans chest) and drama (shockingly inconsistent refereeing with no defined tackle as in gaelic football).  To be honest I don't know which side I believe.

Lets not analyse it too much or point at the flaws. You rarely hear the self reflection in the analysis of a hurling game. Is that a lesson for Gaelic football?
However the constant screaming of hurling fans about how great it is tells me the lady doth protest too much. The game is spun by lads that want to spread the gospel of hurling. Cyril Farrell and Ger Loughnane - great hurling men. When have you heard anyone called a great football man?

Today there was plenty of short passing, Cork player going down fairly easily clutching his face through his helmet to get the Dublin lad his second yellow, and terrible inconsistent refereeing. You want to talk about defining the tackle in Gaelic football? Give my head peace.

But hey, what a game.

For me it's like the stupid hot hairdresser you see. I wouldn't never leave my beautiful intelligent wife (gaelic football) for her, but there's an odd night you'd be tempted to book a hotel room.

As I said, hurling - isn't it great, but let's not scratch beneath the surface too much.

That's what I'd like to have said.

Hardy

Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2013, 11:55:42 PM
We want to see scores, not passes.

Teams do now have a keep possession (feckin about) game. I find that style hard to watch. Too many opportunities for mistakes.

Hurlers are a hell of a lot more accurate with the stick than footballers are with the boot. When they clear the ball 80 yards, they still give their own man more of a chance to win it than footballers do with a 30 yard pass.

That's true. I think it's because it's easier to be accurate with your hands than with your feet.

Wildweasel74

Am a football man, but even i know hurling a better game than the gaelic football, i don think there even a good argument that footballs a better game outside the fact that Ulster and the west dont often much to hurling in terms of competitive teams!!

Zulu

Football for me anyway, always enjoyed and played both codes but nothing beats football, the best game on earth.

Syferus

Quote from: Hardy on August 12, 2013, 12:41:29 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2013, 11:55:42 PM
We want to see scores, not passes.

Teams do now have a keep possession (feckin about) game. I find that style hard to watch. Too many opportunities for mistakes.

Hurlers are a hell of a lot more accurate with the stick than footballers are with the boot. When they clear the ball 80 yards, they still give their own man more of a chance to win it than footballers do with a 30 yard pass.

That's true. I think it's because it's easier to be accurate with your hands than with your feet.

Clearly you're saying footballers are far more skilled than hurlers.