Hurling puts football in the shade

Started by Wildweasel74, August 11, 2013, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 23, 2014, 09:05:41 PM
My point is and don't get lost on it, 6/7 counties take it seriously in Hurling and football, generally and you can look at the stats, Kerry on 36 and Dublin on 24 it usually follows this format.

I've a preference for hurling because I play it and I played football and enjoyed it also, but as a spectacle for me entertainment wise I prefer it over the defensive football nowadays

Oh and Galway last won it 16 years ago ;)

As for competitive that's fine, but facts tell us that they  don't win
They won it in 2001 as well.
A lot of people think Meath won that year because they beat Kerry in the semifinal.
Ask Hardy or Jinxy who won in 2001

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hardy

We weren't taking football seriously that year.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on June 23, 2014, 09:16:07 PM
My point is and don't get lost on it, 6/7 counties take it seriously in Hurling and football, generally and you can look at the stats, Kerry on 36 and Dublin on 24 it usually follows this format.

I've a preference for hurling because I play it and I played football and enjoyed it also, but as a spectacle for me entertainment wise I prefer it over the defensive football nowadays

A lot of people think Meath won that year because they beat Kerry in the semifinal.

Aye right enough, that was a tremendous final in fairness, the second half performance from Galway was great
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Redhand Santa

Given that there is no transfer market counties will come and go in Gaelic. It's not that counties don't take it seriously it's just that most aren't good enough at any one time. Football is much more competitive than hurling generally and the facts speak for itself. How long would you have to go back to find 8 winners of the hurling all Ireland?

Hardy

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 23, 2014, 09:31:50 PM
Given that there is no transfer market ...

How come  Conor Mortimer is playing at No. 10 for Antrim against his own county there on RTE? He's doin' OK, in fairness.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 23, 2014, 09:31:50 PM
Given that there is no transfer market counties will come and go in Gaelic. It's not that counties don't take it seriously it's just that most aren't good enough at any one time. Football is much more competitive than hurling generally and the facts speak for itself. How long would you have to go back to find 8 winners of the hurling all Ireland?

There has been 6 since 98, and that's because they put more effort into it than the rest. And as far as I know no real transfer market in hurling so your point is also relative to hurling but stick in the facts speak for itself is not really true.

Point of the thread is (basically) that hurling is a better spectacle than football, at the weekend it was, next week it may be different and a football game may give us a ending like tha
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

moysider

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 23, 2014, 08:57:53 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 23, 2014, 08:56:06 PM
In the last 15 years Tyrone, Armagh, Donegal, Dublin, Meath, Kerry, Galway and Cork.  So since 1999 that's 8 winners.

And when will Armagh, Tyrone, Meath and heaven help me Galway!! (fecking we beat them ffs) win their next?

And Mayo have been in more finals than the rest put together ( and could well lose another this year because we ;D can t win one) and when will we win our next?! ;D ;D

delgany

Sure there's never a cynical foul in hurling,  no need for a black card lads.......sure the kilkenny back was just being sporting giving galway that last minute penalty...with the rugby tackle......where are you now ...joe brolly!  Ach sure there's only a point in it ...let's play on to galway have a chance to equalise....were deep in additional time....never mind !!! Not a mention from the pundits....it was a truly outstanding game!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: delgany on June 24, 2014, 07:12:37 AM
Sure there's never a cynical foul in hurling,  no need for a black card lads.......sure the kilkenny back was just being sporting giving galway that last minute penalty...with the rugby tackle......where are you now ...joe brolly!  Ach sure there's only a point in it ...let's play on to galway have a chance to equalise....were deep in additional time....never mind !!! Not a mention from the pundits....it was a truly outstanding game!

There was two minutes added time, Henry scored on 71.57 and Joe scored 72.19 but sure don't let that cloud your memory of what was an outstanding finish. Yes a black would have been required for that tackle and there wouldn't have been a soul complaining about it. Seems it may be coming in for hurling, I don't think it will be an issue though, seems to be working well in football. But I'll say it again, two different sports can't compare them. Hurling was (this weekend) better than what the football served up

laoislad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 24, 2014, 09:57:53 AM
Quote from: delgany on June 24, 2014, 07:12:37 AM

There was two minutes added time, Henry scored on 71.57 and Joe scored 72.19 but sure don't let that cloud your memory of what was an outstanding finish. Yes a black would have been required for that tackle and there wouldn't have been a soul complaining about it. Seems it may be coming in for hurling, I don't think it will be an issue though, seems to be working well in football. But I'll say it again, two different sports can't compare them. Hurling was (this weekend) better than what the football served up
It is most weekends.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

DuffleKing

Thought this thread was going to be about Kilkenny Vs Offaly

AZOffaly

Leave us out of this! And we'd bate them in the football. Probably.

Jinxy

I don't remember anything that happened before or after September 11th that year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on June 24, 2014, 10:41:38 AM

I don't remember anything that happened before or after September 11th that year.
I remember being in Croke Park and Colm O rourke at half time over the PA  telling the Meath full back line that it would be more profitable to drop the fuball and put up a hotel and an apartment block on the site.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 24, 2014, 10:31:49 AM

Thought this thread was going to be about Kilkenny Vs Offaly

As long as it's not about Armagh hurling ;)